Setting the bar for Sal's Mustang Day?

stang99

First hand observations of three 03's at LACR this evening would indicate that the bar for Sal's should be set at a minimum of 12.499. Although none of the three achieved this figure, one lowered Sonic Blue with chrome rims went several 12.5's and a 12.60 and, of course, the track was not nearly as prepped as it will be for the Sal's event.
Of course, I don't set the bar, jhwalker does. So, it may well be set even lower than 12.499. If I could cut 12.499 or better, I would be happy. If I could cut 12.399 or better, I would be extremely happy as it would be an all time best. I figure that I'd have to jack FiveOhDean's car to cut 12.299 or better, and, that might make me happy too for a short while.

03DOHC

Established Member
I'm going to add 1000 posts for every one you delete. ;-)

Why don't you just get some slicks, get in the 11's and be done with it?

stang99

If you add 1000 posts for every one that I delete, your post count will be huge in just a few days.
I might go 11's with ET Streets at a good track. But, even with slicks, 11's would not be easy at LACR. Besides, then they would ban me until I had a NHRA legal roll cage. Consistent 12's at LACR has always been my goal, but as you know, you almost have to have an 11 sec car at a reasonable track elsewhere to run consistent 12's at LACR.

Originally posted by 03DOHC
I'm going to add 1000 posts for every one you delete. ;-)

Why don't you just get some slicks, get in the 11's and be done with it?

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by Tetge
If you add 1000 posts for every one that I delete, your post count will be huge in just a few days.
I might go 11's with ET Streets at a good track. But, even with slicks, 11's would not be easy at LACR. Besides, then they would ban me until I had a NHRA legal roll cage. Consistent 12's at LACR has always been my goal, but as you know, you almost have to have an 11 sec car at a reasonable track elsewhere to run consistent 12's at LACR.
1000 posts to your count not mine.:)

I didn't say 11's would be easy at LACR with slicks, but they would help.

stang99

Slicks would definitely help but they just might break things on the car. We already know that half shafts have broken and the TOB and TOB guide tube on the Ford adapter of the T56 have been proven to be weak. The clutch disk is actually nice as is the stock pressure plate but the flywheel is not all that, in spite of the claims by Ford that it is high tech. Launching hard may get the ET at the cost of ruining the car. This is not an acceptable trade off IMHO.
Perhaps all of the tranny/clutch/TOB issues will be resolved and the geometry issues that cause the weakness will be understood fully. Stronger half shafts will be available and the outer cages will be robust. Maybe drive train rebuilds will be possible without buying entire transmissions. At that point, slicks may become an option.
Now, I need to get some rest as watching drag racing was tiring and I have to go to Swanson's tomorrow morning early.

BTW: Shouldn't every board have an unpost whore?

jhwalker

Dead Poster Walking
Established Member
George is currently 'the man'. :eek: Good work George!!!

As I always say, because of Dean we all have an * by any mark we set, until we get into the 11's, but this is legitimate competition between the rest of us 2003 Cobras.

An LACR 12.4 feels like a real stretch for us all.

What thinks the SoCal Terminators?

'Ah, but a man's reach should exceed his grasp - or what's a heaven for?'
Robert Browning (1812 - 1889)

jonas

Established Member
for the record
that lowered sonic blue on chromines ripping 12.5s and 12.6's all day was me ;p

I'll scan the slips tomorrow, to tired to deal with it now

SonicVenum

11 sec. Member
Established Member
Has anyone seen my 4th gear? I couldn't seem to find it last night at the track. I found 2nd a few times, but 4th eluded me on 4 of my 6 runs.

The last run I had against George was a sweet one though. We gave the crowd quite a show. 2 SMOKEY burnouts, and 2 12 sec runs. We finished with George a half-length ahead of me, with a 12.74@111 (one of his slow runs), to my 12.88@111. If I'm not mistaken, we were the 2 fastest street cars there.

George can drive. :thumbsup:

On a happy note, on one of my blown 3-4 shifts I wasted my new best 60' time of 1.93. Yay! Alright! Go Juan!:bash: :bash: :bash:

jonas

Established Member
juan bro
imho you should have eric take your cobra for test drive. he may concor that its way to hard to get in gear possibly due to the clutch not being fully disengaged. I know you adjusted the quadrent so maybe its better now. I should let you test my car next time we are out.

btw those 4.10's are wicked. Me want, me want

SonicVenum

11 sec. Member
Established Member
George,
I did let Eric drive it. But, I had already adjusted the clutch, so it wasn't a problem. The tough thing is finding the perfect adjustment. Too far in, and it's tough to shift. Too far out, and I don't let the clutch fully engage, so I start to fry it. Oh well, I'll keep on trying to get it perfect.

I hope your mom gets better soon. Hang in there.

stang99

Yes, I have seen your 4th gear. I have it in my car now, but I do not have your power levels. It is a nice gear and runs hard from 60->120 indicated on the speedo (not that I would try a run like that, officer).

Originally posted by SonicVenum
Has anyone seen my 4th gear? I couldn't seem to find it last night at the track. I found 2nd a few times, but 4th eluded me on 4 of my 6 runs.

Users who are viewing this thread