"Service Engine Soon"

2001 Blue Snake

Established Member
So, I cleaned out my throttle body and IAC with STP throttle body cleaner due to the recent threads on hanging RPM's. Figured it was a tuning issue but that it couldn't hurt.
Started the car and idled like hell, died. Realized the IAC hadn't been plugged back in so I did so. After shooting out black smoke (assuming it was rich from the cleaner?) everything seemed fine. Next thing I know the engine light pops up and doesn't go away.
Anybody know what's up? It seems to me like it is smoother but almost less powerful? Especially down low. Then again, I could easily be imagining it since the light popped up. Did I mess up the O2 sensor or something? I looked for a reset button to see if the light would come back but I didn't see one after briefly looking under the dash.
I did run sea foam through the PCV hose afterwards if that should figure into anything. That was after the light though.
Any suggestions are appreciated.

2001 Blue Snake

Established Member
Well, it appears to run perfectly fine even though the light is still on.
I'll check it out tomorrow in my auto tech class. We have some $4,500 scanner that should do the trick ;-)

PUSHA TON

Established Member
thers no switch under the dash for the ses light. disconnect the battery for about 10 minutes and reconnect it. should take care of it.

SPXTrader

Certified Loon
Established Member
I've read about some doing the Seafoam thing...when you start it back up, the crud blows out the back and it has at times clogged the rear 02 sensors. That would cause the SES to light.

Betcha when you read the codes, it'll show a bad 02 sensor.

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
SPXTrader said:
I've read about some doing the Seafoam thing...when you start it back up, the crud blows out the back and it has at times clogged the rear 02 sensors. That would cause the SES to light.

he said the code popped up before he did the seafoam

SPXTrader said:

I'll tell you this...I can't dismiss this may be a possibility. But I've done some heavy duty cleaning with SeaFoam. One can of Deep Creep to each side of the intake, 15 minute 'haul ass' type of run with the car and a bottle and a half of the SeaFoam liquid throught he PCV with no codes flying up. Doen this twice and my O2s have over 60k on them. Possible of course. But the carbon seems to fly out like a water hose when you gun this bad boy at WOT.

Did this dude even get the code read?

Users who are viewing this thread