service engine soon light came on, car started to jerk around

mdever12

Established Member
Hey guys. Okay so last night i was with a buddy and i did quick 2nd gear pull, and as soon as i let off the "service engine soon" light came on, and the car started to jerk around, for lack of better terms. It also started to smell like gas, almost like i was on a boat or something. I stopped at 2 lights, and i had to rev it up and really slip the clutch to get it moving again. Finally, about a 1/2 mile down the road, my car died at a light and it wouldn't start again. When the flat-bed came, I noticed that next to the passanger-side front tire was a puddle of gas or oil.

I've known for a month that the clutch on it was shot. The TOB has been squealing and the clutch has been slipping lately. I also had an o/r x put on yesterday, so maybe that is the reason for the smell and check engine light?

Whatever light you guys can shed on the situation would be greatly appreciated guys, thanks in advanced!

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Hey guys. Okay so last night i was with a buddy and i did quick 2nd gear pull, and as soon as i let off the "service engine soon" light came on, and the car started to jerk around, for lack of better terms. It also started to smell like gas, almost like i was on a boat or something. I stopped at 2 lights, and i had to rev it up and really slip the clutch to get it moving again. Finally, about a 1/2 mile down the road, my car died at a light and it wouldn't start again. When the flat-bed came, I noticed that next to the passanger-side front tire was a puddle of gas or oil.

I've known for a month that the clutch on it was shot. The TOB has been squealing and the clutch has been slipping lately. I also had an o/r x put on yesterday, so maybe that is the reason for the smell and check engine light?

Whatever light you guys can shed on the situation would be greatly appreciated guys, thanks in advanced!

FRPS
Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor

Buy two, keep the spare in the console with the tool to change it, you will probably use it more than your spare tire.:beer:

black 10th vert

Established Member
I agree with Jimmy on this one. OP there are MANY threads on FRPS failures on this site if you search. You will see that in almost all cases they fail in situations like you describe because of spikes in fuel pressure. Some really cheap insurance is to buy the little aluminum disc that is made by KB, which is available direct from them, or used to be available from vendors like D'Agostino Racing (where I bought mine back when I had stock rails). The disc has a smaller orifice that helps to control the high pressure spikes that rupture the diaphragm in the FRPS.

mdever12

Established Member
FRPS
Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor

Buy two, keep the spare in the console with the tool to change it, you will probably use it more than your spare tire.:beer:
Sounds like a plan, thanks for the help!

I agree with Jimmy on this one. OP there are MANY threads on FRPS failures on this site if you search. You will see that in almost all cases they fail in situations like you describe because of spikes in fuel pressure. Some really cheap insurance is to buy the little aluminum disc that is made by KB, which is available direct from them, or used to be available from vendors like D'Agostino Racing (where I bought mine back when I had stock rails). The disc has a smaller orifice that helps to control the high pressure spikes that rupture the diaphragm in the FRPS.
I'll definitely have to look into that KB piece, thanks for the suggestion :beer:

TRBO VNM

I didn't read everything, but your check engine light came on, did you think to get it checked? Do you have a predator, xcal2 or xcal3? You can check codes with all of them.

It is a very basic thing to check, get the codes, google them and then check those parts.

mdever12

Established Member
I didn't read everything, but your check engine light came on, did you think to get it checked? Do you have a predator, xcal2 or xcal3? You can check codes with all of them.

It is a very basic thing to check, get the codes, google them and then check those parts.

Yea I have an xcal3, this is my first time with a car that has been tuned do I didn't know that. Thanks for the suggestion!

Users who are viewing this thread