Service campaign/recall work reimbursement question

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
hey all, last year I purchased a 2013 Nissan Altima from my neighbor. When I was looking through the service records for the work that he previously had done on the car I see that he had a significant amount of rear suspension work done just 3 months before I bought the car.

Well, yesterday I got a letter in the mail from Nissan about a service campaign where Nissan will replace the rear suspension links and perform a 4 wheel alignment free of charge. This is due to premature corrosion in high road salt states. The letter also states that Nissan will reimburse an owner for previous work done.

The reimbursement application requires proof of payment, which we have in his name as well as the invoice for the work. It also requires proof of ownership but I made copy of the title in his name prior to submitting it to the DMV to get ownership transferred to me.

The neighbor is a good guy and a decent buddy so I already told him that if this goes through I'd send the $ his way. Would it be best for myself or him to submit the reimbursement application?

Crimson2v

Established Member
Premium Member
If there is a customer support number on the recall letter I would call and explain your situation and see what Nissan can do. Your friend should be reimbursed since you have receipts and proof of ownership.

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
Seems like the honest/fair way to go about helping a buddy out. They make check current registration though. I would submit it and see what happens with his name since the receipt would have his name on it.

Balt21

Established Member
I would imagine he would have to send the info since he is the one that paid to have the work done. Did he get the same letter by chance since he was a previous owner?

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
I would imagine he would have to send the info since he is the one that paid to have the work done. Did he get the same letter by chance since he was a previous owner?

He did not. We did a little digging and I have to get the service campaign done to close out the issue on my car and then he can send in the reimbursement request.

He had $1400 in rear suspension work done so that's a decent chunk of change. Figure i'm paying this one forward as i'd want someone to contact me about a refund if the situation was reversed

blackfang

Established Member
I would recommend that he handle that and explain the situation( he paid for the repairs, just sold it to his neighbor and you just got the letter, etc). The fact that you got the letter and he did not indicates Nissan North America knows you are the owner now.

Users who are viewing this thread