Serious Option to the GT500?

LostM

Established Member
good to know. I really had no idea. im unsure how much higher the HP wars can go. warranty and HP costs money. chassis flex is plausible. heat is another. they want to pack a large more powerful engine, in an area with less airflow, and not expect to have cooling issues?

guarnibl

Established Member
LOL I think a lot of you should be go to a Vette forum with all the Ford sucks talk. First, the GT500 getting an ADM isn't Ford's fault. It's dealers. Just like the Demon has an ADM. Second, the GT500 will be produced in limited amounts versus the base Vette. IMO you need to compare the price of a higher trim, probably less quantity Vette then the very base model. A regular Mustang GT doesn't pull an ADM.

I thought they limit the number of GT500's a dealer can order? I.e., allocations are based on the number of regular vehicle sales. At least, that was my understanding, and if that's the case it's 100% Ford's fault.

I mean, I am still excited about the car (why I'm logging back after a long hiatus) and want one. Really interested though to see how the vette's mid engine layout translates to increased traction.

Last edited:

conceptmachine

Established Member
Imagine how much those are gonna cost? Big money.
But, you wanna play, you gotta pay.
I'm sure the Z06 will be more than 650HP. I'm just guessing, but I'm guessing more than the C7's.
yes, some are saying around mid 700s. I would expect around 10K more than the c7 Z06. Performance may dictate the market for the first couple years.

03Cobra05GT

Established Member
I thought they limit the number of GT500's a dealer can order? I.e., allocations are based on the number of regular vehicle sales. At least, that was my understanding, and if that's the case it's 100% Ford's fault.

I mean, I am still excited about the car (why I'm logging back after a long hiatus) and want one. Really interested though to see how the vette's mid engine layout translates to increased traction.

No, that's not how the allocation works on these, not exactly. Any dealer that paid the enrollment free gets 1 allocation for a 2020 GT350/500. There are some dealers that will get a few additional allocations I believe based on previous sales, yes.

However, with that said, it's still not Ford's fault. Ford sets a price, like any manufacturer. It's a suggested retail price. What the actual seller (dealers) list them for, is on them. The proof of that is that some dealers are honest and sell at MSRP while others try and get the highest bid they can.

At the end of the day, I don't want Ford to flood the market with tons of GT500s. Call me selfish, call me something else, but the idea that I can own something that I'm most likely not going to see another on the road on any given day when I take it out makes me happy lol. Now, I don't agree with ADMs and I refuse to pay them. I search until I find MSRP deals, which I have for the 2020, but at the end of the day, again, I'd rather have to make 40 phone calls to find a dealer selling at MSRP, then to have Ford flood the market with 100,000 GT500s.

I feel like most of the people complaining about the cost between the new c8 and the GT500 are again, comparing a base model to the top tier, but also, they seem to be insisting on the ADM prices. Call it what it is. At the end of the day, the GT500 starts at $73,995 for their top tier car. The BASE Vette starts at just under $60k. Add the Z51 package, or any other packages, and I'm willing to bet you are coming within a few grand of the GT500. But again, let's see the price for the Z06 or ZR1 when they come out. That would be a better comparison IMO.

blk02edge

Established Member
good to know. I really had no idea. im unsure how much higher the HP wars can go. warranty and HP costs money. chassis flex is plausible. heat is another. they want to pack a large more powerful engine, in an area with less airflow, and not expect to have cooling issues?
I kind of doubt HP is going to exponentially keep increasing unless they figure out how to put indycar levels of downforce on these things. The top models are already becoming inferior to the lower models as far as realistic track day cars. That said Dodge probably sees no end in sight as all they do is barge ahead in a straight line.

02GTKB

Nolimits
Established Member
No, that's not how the allocation works on these, not exactly. Any dealer that paid the enrollment free gets 1 allocation for a 2020 GT350/500. There are some dealers that will get a few additional allocations I believe based on previous sales, yes.

However, with that said, it's still not Ford's fault. Ford sets a price, like any manufacturer. It's a suggested retail price. What the actual seller (dealers) list them for, is on them. The proof of that is that some dealers are honest and sell at MSRP while others try and get the highest bid they can.

At the end of the day, I don't want Ford to flood the market with tons of GT500s. Call me selfish, call me something else, but the idea that I can own something that I'm most likely not going to see another on the road on any given day when I take it out makes me happy lol. Now, I don't agree with ADMs and I refuse to pay them. I search until I find MSRP deals, which I have for the 2020, but at the end of the day, again, I'd rather have to make 40 phone calls to find a dealer selling at MSRP, then to have Ford flood the market with 100,000 GT500s.

I feel like most of the people complaining about the cost between the new c8 and the GT500 are again, comparing a base model to the top tier, but also, they seem to be insisting on the ADM prices. Call it what it is. At the end of the day, the GT500 starts at $73,995 for their top tier car. The BASE Vette starts at just under $60k. Add the Z51 package, or any other packages, and I'm willing to bet you are coming within a few grand of the GT500. But again, let's see the price for the Z06 or ZR1 when they come out. That would be a better comparison IMO.
I agree with this as well, and first off the Z51 option being at only $5k or so I do not see how or that happening based on what is actually included with it. I can see it costing up near $10k or so. But time will tell, and also I agree with how seeing a Shelby on the road is a lot more rare than seeing a flood of vettes which is all I see at my local shows etc. Dime a dozen sometimes not worth it, and exactly why you can get $15k off new Z06s etc and $13k off a ZR1.

Snoopy49

Established Member
The Z51 Package is for track enthusiasts looking for the ultimate expression of Stingray performance.
  • Michelin® PS4 Performance 3 Season tires†
  • Standard FE3 Performance Suspension
  • Available FE4 Suspension with Magnetic Ride Control™
  • Larger 345 mm front and 350 mm rear brake rotors
  • Extra cooling with additional rear-mounted third radiator
  • Electronic Limited-Slip Differential
  • Larger rear spoiler provides up to 400 lbs. of downforce
  • Performance exhaust results in 495 HP

DepWraith

Established Member
HP wars will increase in the future...but they will be dominated by AWD electric platforms. Don't be surprised when the new Ford ESUV produces great performance numbers.

blk02edge

Established Member
The Z51 Package is for track enthusiasts looking for the ultimate expression of Stingray performance.
  • Michelin® PS4 Performance 3 Season tires†
  • Standard FE3 Performance Suspension
  • Available FE4 Suspension with Magnetic Ride Control™
  • Larger 345 mm front and 350 mm rear brake rotors
  • Extra cooling with additional rear-mounted third radiator
  • Electronic Limited-Slip Differential
  • Larger rear spoiler provides up to 400 lbs. of downforce
  • Performance exhaust results in 495 HP
Which isnt any more than the c7 GS package @5k. In fact the C7 had more extra with the dry sump

1FASFKR

Established Member
I agree with this as well, and first off the Z51 option being at only $5k or so I do not see how or that happening based on what is actually included with it. I can see it costing up near $10k or so. But time will tell, and also I agree with how seeing a Shelby on the road is a lot more rare than seeing a flood of vettes which is all I see at my local shows etc. Dime a dozen sometimes not worth it, and exactly why you can get $15k off new Z06s etc and $13k off a ZR1.

The "flood" of vettes on the road IS AMERICAN. The Corvette has always been marketed as obtainable for the working class. The higher end models of the Corvette will still enjoy exclusivity. Just as the higher end models of the Mustang platform do. The Z51 package was a very affordable option and a no brainer when we built and ordered ours. I don't see that changing much beyond the standard annual price increases to cover standard annual costs increases.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Some of you guys are smoking crack, thinking that the base C8 has any shot at besting the GT500 in pretty much all performance metrics. It’s simply a bridge too far. A good as the 8 looks on paper, we need to be somewhat reasonable on expectations.

Let’s bring this discussion back down to reality. I will agree that it definitely calls into question the absurdity of some of the GT500’s option costs, but that’s it. We should stay away from the performance argument all together.

Users who are viewing this thread