sensor question

99riodragon

Established Member
how important are the rear o2 sensors to the ecm.is it going to make a difference if i get rid of them and go to mil eliminators.will effect gas mileage.

99riodragon

Established Member
good i gotta buy more o2s and was hoping the rears were simi useless.i got a catted bassanni x and bassanni cat back and a novi 1000 and my gas mileage sucks 140 to a tank.so its gotta be the o2s.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
How often do you hit boost? When was the last time you changed your plugs and stuff? I get about 170 to a tank around town. That's with seeing a little boost daily.

99riodragon

Established Member
i rarely get into boost.im so cautious about the horrid gas mileage it takes all the fun out of being boosted.i gotta find time to check the plugs.i just bought the car 2 months ago and still haven't gotten time to check em.gap should be .35 right.im going to buy new o2 sensors tomorrow.along with a fuel filter and new plugs,should eliminate most of the variables.i shift at about 3g.gears are stock 327.im also gonna pull the kick panel and see if there is a chip in the ecm.the car didn't come with a hand held tuner so that's the only other option.

99riodragon

Established Member
well bad news is i got new o2s and nothing has changed as far as gas mileage.it feels stronger but the mileage is the same.so whats next.im changing the fuel filter tomorrow and checking the plugs.im at a loss.any ideas.paxton says i sould be breaking 220 to 240 due to it being stock aside from the exhaust and blower.

Last edited:

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
You said the car didn't come with a hand held tuner. I'm guessing you don't know what the history of the tune for the car is. Was it a local car or did you get it out of state? And honestly, just because Paxton says you should be hitting a certain mileage doesn't mean it's going to happen. If you do a lot of side street driving that's going to kill mileage. My commute used to be 14 miles one way. I averaged 17-18mpg. Once I started driving locally my mileage dropped to 12-13mpg. Once you start running bigger injectors and stuff like that there's only so much you can do to save mileage.

Last edited:

99riodragon

Established Member
You said the car didn't come with a hand held tuner. I'm guessing you don't know what the history of the tune for the car is. Was it a local car or did you get it out of state? And honestly, just because Paxton says you should be hitting a certain mileage doesn't mean it's going to happen. If you do a lot of side street driving that's going to kill mileage. My commute used to be 14 miles one way. I averaged 17-18mpg. Once I started driving locally my mileage dropped to 12-13mpg. Once you start running bigger injectors and stuff like that there's only so much you can do to save mileage.

ya all this is true.no hand held programmer,im checking the condition of the plugs later today and i will pull the kick pannel to see if has the chip from paxton or another chip like diablo is in it.god like 10.8 miles to the gallon.wow does that suck.regardless of the chip,as soon as i get 305 bucks ill buy a programmer from rpm outlet.so far the cheapest i have found with a custom tune.and the crazy thing is im not pulling a single trouble code.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
It probably just needs a fresh tune. My buddy had his 04 tuned by Gil over at Shelby America out there. He's really happy with it.

99riodragon

Established Member
not to bash but that's the first time ive ever heard anything nice about gil.gil screwed me over big time and then my buddy also.he isn't the most loved tuner in vegas.he has a sick black stang.he had my ol t5 for 6 months and then after me buggin him enough he gave it back to me in pieces.ill never deal with him again.EVER.

Last edited:

Justin@VMP

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Use only motorcraft brand front O2 sensors, they have the strongest heater circuit so they get warm and start working very quickly.

99riodragon

Established Member
Use only motorcraft brand front O2 sensors, they have the strongest heater circuit so they get warm and start working very quickly.
learn something new every day,i have denso o2s,i called ford country and asked for o2s and they didnt have any in stock.now i know there is a difference.:(:(

99riodragon

Established Member
the plugs are stock motorcraft plats and they were gaped to .54 im buying some copper ngk v powers 1 heat range colder than stock and gaping at .32.34some where in there.sound about right.i have the fuel filter but haven't tackled that yet.the horror stories i hear about its placement under the car and how hard it is to get to doesn't encourage me to want to tackle it.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
anyone have the part number of the ngk tr6 plugs for our cars.

That is the part number. That's what I'm running right now. Gapped at .030" and I'm running 14psi. I was always told to never run platinum spark plugs in a boosted motor. The heat and pressure can cause the platinum puck to come loose.

Yeah, the fuel filter placement sucks. But it's something that needs to be done. If I ever upgrade the lines I'm going to mount the filter somewhere on the frame rail.

Last edited:

99riodragon

Established Member
That is the part number. That's what I'm running right now. Gapped at .030" and I'm running 14psi. I was always told to never run platinum spark plugs in a boosted motor. The heat and pressure can cause the platinum puck to come loose.

Yeah, the fuel filter placement sucks. But it's something that needs to be done. If I ever upgrade the lines I'm going to mount the filter somewhere on the frame rail.

if thats the part number then why cant autozone find the damn plug...all they have is copper v power plugs.i think ill get some self tapping screws and relocate the filter to your suggestion.is it possible to wire a boost a pump for the pump in the tank and the high flow pump paxton gives with the kit.i dont think the car is at the point where it needs a serious dual pump upgrade.i could be wrong but a stock 99 with catted bassanni x and bassanni cat back and novi1000 should be 400-430 maybe.does it need bigger pumps at this point?

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
For the fuel filter, don't forget the 5/16 disconnection tool. The Fuel filter is a Biotch to get at, but definately do-able in your driveway.

Check MAF placement also? Do you have any bucking issues under light throttle?

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
if thats the part number then why cant autozone find the damn plug...all they have is copper v power plugs.i think ill get some self tapping screws and relocate the filter to your suggestion.is it possible to wire a boost a pump for the pump in the tank and the high flow pump paxton gives with the kit.i dont think the car is at the point where it needs a serious dual pump upgrade.i could be wrong but a stock 99 with catted bassanni x and bassanni cat back and novi1000 should be 400-430 maybe.does it need bigger pumps at this point?

Because generally the people behind the counters at Autozone are idiots. I have tons of stories proving it. I usually go to Napa and sometimes O'Reilly's. I know one of the managers at the local O'Reilly's.

The TR6's are copper V-powers. The TR6 is the part number. I've put set in three different cars.

You can't just move the fuel filter with some self tapping screws. You'll need to change the fuel line as well. Personally, I'd stay away from the BAP. It's just a personal preference. You should step up to a Focus or Avaitor pump IMO.

Last edited:

99riodragon

Established Member
Because generally the people behind the counters at Autozone are idiots. I have tons of stories proving it. I usually go to Napa and sometimes O'Reilly's. I know one of the managers at the local O'Reilly's.

The TR6's are copper V-powers. The TR6 is the part number. I've put set in three different cars.

You can't just move the fuel filter with some self tapping screws. You'll need to change the fuel line as well. Personally, I'd stay away from the BAP. It's just a personal preference. You should step up to a Focus or Avaitor pump IMO.
ya i realize im gonna need to do the lines as well,so wheres a good spot for the above pumps as far as buying from a retailer.

99riodragon

Established Member
seen the pumps on lethal performances site.tried calling and got a message service.must be after hours.ill try again Monday.

Users who are viewing this thread