Sending tranny to D&D performance

Cobra10th Anniv

Established Member
Hey gang,

I am planning to send out my tranny to D&D to be rebuilt. Can someone walk me through what is the best way/how to remove the transmission? I have the online service manual, will that show me what to do?

Much appreciated,
Thanks
David

Fdawg97lx

Established Member
David i saved this from postban;s red pill thread . . .

Step by Step Transmission Removal

1)Disconnect Battery
2)Get car up on jackstands, tall ones, need 12" under the tires airspace
3)Remove Shifter handle, bezel/plate and then shifter.
4)Remove mid pipe
5)Remove driveshaft (trans plug to keep from leaking or wrap tailshaft with towel/ziploc "diaper") Drain it works too.
6)Remove Trans mount
7)Unplug all electrical connections from the trans
8)Remove clutch inspection cover
9)Detach clutch cable
10)Remove lower 4 trans bolts
11)Support with trans jack
12)Remove remaining upper trans bolts
13)Slide trans back and lower trans jack down
14)Remove Starter 13mm socket, tons of extensions
15)Remove Bellhousing bolts (remember there are two on the front face holding the bellhousing shield on)
16)Remove Bellhousing
17)Remove pressure plate bolts and pressure plate/clutch
18)Remove flywheel bolts and flywheel

Do LDC cooling mod!

INSTALL
19)Be sure bellhousing shield is in place on dowels
20)Install new flywheel and bolts 60ftlb Use RED thread locker!
21)Hold clutch plate in place with alignment tool
22)Attach pressure plate and bolts, 35ftlb (BE SURE clutch alignment tool appears to be sticking straight out before you tighten too hard.)
22)Remove alignment tool
22)Install Bellhousing and bolts, remember the two that face forward attaching the bellhousing shield. The two top bellhousing bolts also hold a bracket that supports some wiring. 60ftlbs
23)Install starter 30ftlbs
21)Put trans in any gear (with your finger)
22)Raise trans up with trans jack, insert input shaft into clutch slowly while slowly turning tailshaft (aids alignment)
23)Push trans all the way forward, install trans bolts 40ftlbs
24)Install trans mount and bolts 40ftlbs
25)Reinstall all electrical connections on trans.
26)Install Clutch cable
27)Install clutch inspection cover
28)Reinstall driveshaft and bolts 100ftlbs
29)Reinstall midpipe 30ftlbs

30)Reinstall shifter/plate and bezel
31)Lower car
32)Reconnect battery

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
doin it on jack stands? it sucks....just so you know...LOL

btw, if you plan to keep racing like you do (alot) are you planning on upgrades to run under 11.49? or you stopping there?

KenCobra03

Factory Rated 390 HP, much more now
Established Member
Metco 4 # lowers are awesome !!!! Do it !

Cobra10th Anniv

Established Member
BADASS03SVT said:
doin it on jack stands? it sucks....just so you know...LOL

btw, if you plan to keep racing like you do (alot) are you planning on upgrades to run under 11.49? or you stopping there?

Assuming I get to 11.49 and beyond, I will most definately continue. No way I am stopping now. :pepper: I'd love to trap 130+!!!

David

NHRACobra

Cobra guy
Established Member
Cobra10th Anniv said:
Assuming I get to 11.49 and beyond, I will most definately continue. No way I am stopping now. :pepper:
David

Add a 4lb lower, and it WILL happen. :D

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
Cobra10th Anniv said:
Assuming I get to 11.49 and beyond, I will most definately continue. No way I am stopping now. :pepper: I'd love to trap 130+!!!

David

Well while that tranny i sout, I would suggest to swap the bellhousing over. easy swap when its all out and for $370, its insurance for when they look under the car or if osmething goes boom. I'm gonna try to sell mine with the tranny but if I cant I'll let you know.

03ShadowCobra

To the Hindenpeter!!!
Established Member
Cobra10th Anniv said:
Hey gang,

I am planning to send out my tranny to D&D to be rebuilt. Can someone walk me through what is the best way/how to remove the transmission? I have the online service manual, will that show me what to do?

Much appreciated,
Thanks
David
just so your not alone with tranny issues, the jeep trans went south as well. Was acting up when I was leaving the track now it's spewing fluid all over my driveway. I guess it didn't like the 3k rpm launches all that much. Looks like I may have cracked the case :-D :-D Oh well thats what warranties are for.

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
03ShadowCobra said:
just so your not alone with tranny issues, the jeep trans went south as well. Was acting up when I was leaving the track now it's spewing fluid all over my driveway. I guess it didn't like the 3k rpm launches all that much. Looks like I may have cracked the case :-D :-D Oh well thats what warranties are for.

wow...how many mile son it??? i thought the new drivetrains were supposed to be good??

did you beat the 13.8?

03ShadowCobra

To the Hindenpeter!!!
Established Member
yeah it went 13.55. it just flipped 10k miles. It is back up and running they couldn't figure out where the leak was so they installed a new trans. Dropped it off one day picked it up the next they are definietly quick.

Cobra10th Anniv

Established Member
03ShadowCobra said:
yeah it went 13.55. it just flipped 10k miles. It is back up and running they couldn't figure out where the leak was so they installed a new trans. Dropped it off one day picked it up the next they are definietly quick.

Nice, real quick. Glad to hear you are back in action... Wish I could have the same luck...

David

03ShadowCobra

To the Hindenpeter!!!
Established Member
talked to the dealer today. as it turns out there was a sensor in the side of the trans that was cracked and caused the o-ring that holds in to pop out a little. So a new sensor and o-ring would have fixed the problem.

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
03ShadowCobra said:

nice..what dealer is that?

luv2hiss

Transplanted again...
Established Member
Cobra10th Anniv said:
Hey gang,

Much appreciated,
Thanks
David

Hey David, this will take you 4-6 hours depending on what tools you have and whether you are doing this on a lift or jack stands. If you have long tubes, it will be 8 hours to get it out. The passenger side long tube has to be taken off completely to get the tranny out. Been there, done that for someone else, and I will never touch a long tube car again !!!

Of the three starter bolts on the top one is the worst. You cannot see it no matter what angle you look in at it. You will need flexible or pivoting extensions to weave thru the motor to get to it.

You will need to replace your passenger side mid pipe to manifold exhaust gasket or it will leak when you reassemble it. They are crushable gaskets, costs about $8.00 at Autozone.

I recommend that you tie up the wiring harness at the top of the motor for re-installation. I used zip ties to keep it up there. It helps to keep the bracket up there with it too. If you don't you will more likely than not, get it stuck in between the tranny and block and crush your electrical connections. Also, been there, done that.

D&D is awesome. I got my new tranny from them. It's hardcore...

Carol

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
luv2hiss said:
If you have long tubes, it will be 8 hours to get it out. The passenger side long tube has to be taken off completely to get the tranny out. Been there, done that for someone else, and I will never touch a long tube car again !!!

Carol

not true! didnt even touch my MAC longtubes!! I even got the bellhousing out and the new one slid right in!!!

Users who are viewing this thread