Selling 01' COBRA, but test drives for a stranger??

ATCzMustang

Established Member
I'm getting ready to sell my 01' COBRA soon as a private sale, but I'm super weary of allowing test drives. My last 2 Mustangs and the upcoming one I'm buying I've practically bought sight-unseen, so I'm not making a double standard. These cars are specialty and interested parties should know what they want (it's not comparing a Camry to a Malibu). What have you all done when selling a COBRA? I'd be cool taking someone on a drive, but not looking for any oddballs out to get their Saturday kicks dumping the clutch in my car. I also don't trust anyone asking to take the car off for their own inspection; who knows if the car comes back or what they might do to it. Plus at a price point under 20k, this isn't a huge risk for the buyer.

Dave.O

Established Member
Depends on the age of the driver and their demeanor
Absolutely no “kids”, by that I mean sub 30-35
I would not let any one drive my 03 or my lightning, not a chance
But if I were to sell one of my 99s, I would let them do regular driving to get a feel for the health of the car
Then I would drive to thrash it if needed

As a reference, when I bought my lightning in ‘13 the previous owner took me for a ride twice . Wouldn’t let me drive it

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
Selling a car 101, price negotiation first. Is buyer prepared to buy the car today. Is he able to, or willing to pay your price. You drive the vehicle putting it through its paces. At that point, it's either sold or not. Simple what do think question will tell you if it is to be sold today or down the road, at a different time. Absolutely never let them drive by themselves or with a friend without you.

ATCzMustang

Established Member
Lots of good advice so far ^^^ thank you. Anyone here concerned with taking a stranger along for a test drive (I'm driving), and have some idiot try to carjack? It's kind of a vulnerable position.

robvas

Established Member
What do you have it insured for? If you get carjacked at least you get a check!

q6543

Established Member
I've ALWAYS taken them for a ride.
F letting them drive it.

Most serious buyers are already sold and have their mind made up. Just want to make sure it "does what it should"
I.e. never hurts to walk it out through a few gears.

Zemedici

Established Member
I've ALWAYS taken them for a ride.
F letting them drive it.

Most serious buyers are already sold and have their mind made up. Just want to make sure it "does what it should"
I.e. never hurts to walk it out through a few gears.

this.

I bought my 03 10th car with the 2.3 whipple already on it.

Dude I bought it from was driving like Miss Daisy, i just look at him, and he proceeds to stop, and do a 3 gear rolling burnout.

Handed him a check shortly after. Figure if its gonna blow up it'll be BEFORE i give him the check. :)

Bullitt1448

Established Member
If I don’t drive it, I don’t buy it. But I don’t go looking at cars just for fun, If I look at your car in person I have the money and I am serious about the purchase.

5.0 Hatch

Established Member
In my case, I sold a few cobras and a bullitt and every buyer came from a very very long way to purchase the car so I already knew they weren't tire kickers. I rode shotgun on the test ride and never had a problem.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
When I sold my Callaway Camaro and '03 Cobra, I took the buyers out for a short drive. Then we swapped seats and they drove about one mile. Nobody else was in the cars and I was comfortable in both cases.

Users who are viewing this thread