Seeking Experienced and Reputable shop to rebuild my Diff - Syracuse, NY

ebdyguy

Established Member
As title states I am looking for a shop with experience rebuilding the Aluminm case 8.8 differential for my Cobra. Doing a gear swap and most likely freshen up all the bearings and seals.

I have done steel units and SRA years ago, but don't have the spreader and other unique tools for doing the aluminum case version. I live in close proximity to Syracuse and would like to find a place that can do this besides the local dealer.

Thanks

Wallace7666

Established Member
Hey, I'm from cuse too! I actually just rebuilt my rear end, but im also SRA. Im not sure how much the irs housing differs but I have the majority of the tools required, im also no expert by any means. My buddy is building a TT cobra and he swears by a place in Rochestor for rear ends, they did his. Im not sure what its called ill have to ask him.

ebdyguy

Established Member
That would be great ! Rochester is a bit far - but please post the name & number just in case. The aluminum IRS requires a few more tool - primarily a case spreader to remove and install the diff unit. Plus the bearing tools for the stub shaft bearings and maybe a couple others. I would really like to find someone good in or near Syracuse - but Rochester isn't totally out of the question.

Wallace7666

Established Member
The place is called RJ profab. Honestly, I dont know of any place local that I would trust with these cars. That reminds me, do you get your car tuned around here? Im looking for a tuner

ebdyguy

Established Member
Thanks. No I have not had my car tuned. Actually my car is in pieces right now getting a "makeover" . I have the diff out and looking for a place to do the rebuild work on it. I would be bringing just the diff - not the whole car. The dealer hit me up with an incredibly large quote for doing just the diff rebuild. $550 plus parts !! It is not rocket science - same as almost any other diff but you need a case spreader to work on these aluminum housings.

Wallace7666

Established Member
No problem. His car is going to make serious power and he trusts the work they do. Should have good luck if you decide to take it there.

Tractionless1

Established Member
I HIGHLY recommend 10thredvert. He built mine with billet bearing caps, Detroit true track, solid crush sleeve, and proper gear depth for my uses. Shipping from Fl to Ill was only $75 and I only wound up paying 1 way as I found a Mark VIII rear near him which he picked up, checked over, tested and ultimately used for the build. This made the project a true plug and play. If you can't find him email me [email protected] and I'll give you his email addy. or phone number.

BTW don't use FRPP gears as they are made by motive and chip/break easily. I stuck with OE ratio and used the basic ford gear from the factory.
P

Users who are viewing this thread