Security Cameras

sleek98

Established Member
I know there was a few threads in the past but I cannot find what I remember seeing via the search.

I am looking for outdoor cameras that are true HD quality, that I can look at live but also have it record, sound is a big plus this time around as well. What is everyone using? They can be wired as the house is not fully built yet so I have time to run the cables.

Or is my best bet going with a Nest or Canary Cameras and paying for their annual storage fees?

Looking at 4-6 cameras

Thanks
Chris

Last edited:

phillycobra99

Established Member
I run Nest cameras, with one being outdoors and the other being indoors. I love them and they run off of Wifi, so the only cable that needs to be ran is the power.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I have cameras inside and outside through ADT... I don't have any complaints.

sleek98

Established Member
I run Nest cameras, with one being outdoors and the other being indoors. I love them and they run off of Wifi, so the only cable that needs to be ran is the power.

Do you pay for the 10 or 30 day storage?

I have cameras inside and outside through ADT... I don't have any complaints.

What do they run a month? Any initial charges for them?

oldmodman

Established Member
Another decision should be resolution.
I was looking at a demo at an electronics store and could not get over how much better the 4K camera looked compared to the 1080I camera.
And compared to the common NTSC camera there was no comparison.
The 4K cameras are fairly new and quite a bit more expensive but the resolution is so good that in the demo (they had recorded the output from the three kinds of cameras by mounting them on a house looking at a test car driving by) you could not only clearly see the license plate number, but you could easily identify the driver in the car.
And that car was at least 60 feet from the camera.
I am thinking about upgrading to them as soon as they become more common and the price drops a little.

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
I have the Arlo system since it's wireless, you can look live, and has motion detection. I don't plan on being in this house forever, hence the easier system. I have zero complaints.

That said I was going to go with the 2TB Samsung system Sams has for less than other places. I just didn't want to run wires all over a place I won't be at for a long time.

L8APEX

*Turbo Not to Scale
Established Member
Premium Member
I've got a few 1080p PTZ cameras strategicly placed around the house and at the office. My favorite is actually one I bought to keep an eye on my cat while I was gone. Its app let's me look all around, talk/listen even tell the air quality (IE CO levels etc). The best feature is that It has a boresight laser pointer. So if my motion sensors pick up movement at night, I can flip on the program turn on the IR mode, look and aim the camera at the assailant before painting him with what looks a hell of a lot like the beam from a crimson trace laser sight and I yell something over the speaker to make sure he wished he wore brown pants.

Sent from my HTC 10

sleek98

Established Member
Another decision should be resolution.
I was looking at a demo at an electronics store and could not get over how much better the 4K camera looked compared to the 1080I camera.
And compared to the common NTSC camera there was no comparison.
The 4K cameras are fairly new and quite a bit more expensive but the resolution is so good that in the demo (they had recorded the output from the three kinds of cameras by mounting them on a house looking at a test car driving by) you could not only clearly see the license plate number, but you could easily identify the driver in the car.
And that car was at least 60 feet from the camera.
I am thinking about upgrading to them as soon as they become more common and the price drops a little.

I really want a 4k system but I dont think I can justify the expense at the moment knowing in 2-3 years what will be out will be 10x better. I spent 1500 on the system at my old house and 4 years later it was basically worthless.

I have the Arlo system since it's wireless, you can look live, and has motion detection. I don't plan on being in this house forever, hence the easier system. I have zero complaints.

That said I was going to go with the 2TB Samsung system Sams has for less than other places. I just didn't want to run wires all over a place I won't be at for a long time.

Thanks I will check these guys out.

I've got a few 1080p PTZ cameras strategicly placed around the house and at the office. My favorite is actually one I bought to keep an eye on my cat while I was gone. Its app let's me look all around, talk/listen even tell the air quality (IE CO levels etc). The best feature is that It has a boresight laser pointer. So if my motion sensors pick up movement at night, I can flip on the program turn on the IR mode, look and aim the camera at the assailant before painting him with what looks a hell of a lot like the beam from a crimson trace laser sight and I yell something over the speaker to make sure he wished he wore brown pants.

Sent from my HTC 10

Lol that sounds like fun what is the brand?

I don't pay for the storage, since it has motion alerts that go to my phone live and it still records for 3 hours without a subscription.

I read that wrong on the site. I thought it only let you view the footage for 3 hours after it was triggered. The 3 hours of recording makes ALOT more sense.

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
I too, am interested in getting some camera's. I was looking at Nest as well.

Anyone know what the difference between the 10 day and 30 day subscription is specifically? Their site is vague and I can't tell if they mean you get 10 days worth of recording storage or 30, etc.

Also, how is the quality outside with the sound?

sleek98

Established Member

Anyone know what the difference between the 10 day and 30 day subscription is specifically? Their site is vague and I can't tell if they mean you get 10 days worth of recording storage or 30, etc.

Thats what I am trying to figure out as well.

But it looks like the 10 day or 30 day subscription doenst just give you clips it actually records 24/7. It will send you clips when it sees motion and you can go back to view the whole item. That explains why it costs more than the canary.

I would likely just do the 10 day, as I would know if something is wrong with in a couple days.

zak88lx

Future SVT *****
Established Member

Thats what I am trying to figure out as well.

But it looks like the 10 day or 30 day subscription doenst just give you clips it actually records 24/7. It will send you clips when it sees motion and you can go back to view the whole item. That explains why it costs more than the canary.

I would likely just do the 10 day, as I would know if something is wrong with in a couple days.

The 10 to 30 day option, is how far into the past you can go to view your cameras recordings. The Nest records everything it sees 24/7 to the cloud for each installed camera.
So if you had the 10 day subscription today, you could go back and watch any minute of any day from Feb 24th to now (live).
Every day you go forward, erases the oldest recorded day, so tomorrow I could only go back to Feb 25th.

We went with the 10 day option, as even if you were away from the house for a week, and the house got broken into, you could still go back and see everything.
The 24/7 cloud option is also nice, as even if they stole your cameras you would still have the footage of them doing so, unlike a DVR unit that they could take with them.

As for sound, the microphones are really good, and can pickup audio from over 30 feet. When they tried breaking into my old Accord parked on the street, I could clearly hear them say: "Let's try this old piece of shit". :mad:

Last edited:

zak88lx

Future SVT *****
Established Member
Here are some sample screen shots of the Nest cams outdoor and indoor.
You can set the resolution up to 1080P if your internet can handle it.
Also note that the Nest cam has a 130 degree FOV, so it's kind of fish eyed.

nest_zps2rbdq0dn.jpg

nest2_zpsoivdiyxr.jpg

Chris0304

Established Member

I've got the Arlo Pro sitting at home in a box but hesitant to use it because I don't wanna have to change the batteries all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

jblood37

Established Member
A have a hikvision nvr and ip cameras in my gym. Resolution is great and I haven't had any issues yet. Cost wasn't outrageous either. I bought an 8 tb hard drive with it. It holds about a month of video without overwriting. I also have it setup to view remotely as well. Fun fact: hikvision supplies a good portion of cameras on the market. Other companies rebrand them as their own.

paluka21

Established Member
So, for a convenience factor storing data on the "cloud" is obviously an ease of access advantage. However, storing recorded video of the interior of your home (and whatever goes on inside the house), data that traverses your home network, and the possibility of introducing vulnerabilities into your home are enough risks that I would seriously consider *not* installing this type of system.
To me, it would be safer and within my control to install something which allows me to record locally at my home, but also monitor it at will from the internet. But--anytime you expose a device to the internet whether using NAT for a routed IP address, or simply using another external IP that your ISP provides you, could introduce that particular device to compromise. And *everything* which is IP has vulnerabilities.
It comes down to what risk are you willing to take on?

I'm putting this out there because I'm also considering a home IP camera system and want to make the best decision from both a logical security perspective, as well as what provides the best options for obtaining the data in the event of a security incident (burglary, attempted break-in, etc).

Users who are viewing this thread