Seatbelt's that don't retract

fast ford brian

Established Member
every new edge bodystyle I have owned lasted about 30,000 miles and the seatbelts got slow , sometimes giving them a good cleaning helps buy I think the windup springs just wear out to easy

fiveoh2go

Cleveland's OG
Established Member
Aren't safety items like seat belts warrantied for the life of the car? I'd take it to the dealer and see if/what they will do for you. :shrug:

InvisibleBlade

Highway to Hell
Established Member
There is a TSB out on this. They install teflon tape on the D-Ring.

Can anyone verify this? I'm thinking I might have to take it in to the dealership to see if they will do anything for me. With my '99 and my old '02 V6 I've never had a problem, and the '99 has just over 80k on it and slides in and out perfectly.

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
Can anyone verify this? I'm thinking I might have to take it in to the dealership to see if they will do anything for me. With my '99 and my old '02 V6 I've never had a problem, and the '99 has just over 80k on it and slides in and out perfectly.
That ship has already sailed, I don't think they will do it for free anymore. The kit is 2 pieces of teflon tape plus one piece of hook side velcro and 3 pages of instructions for $57 (Seriously). You can buy a whole roll of teflon tape cheaper than that. You can try at Ford. Maybe you'll get lucky. The service writer just laughed at me.

InvisibleBlade

Highway to Hell
Established Member
Ya know, I was kinda looking at them today and it seems like the top guide that connects right behind the window seems tight, like it hampers the flow of the belt. I don't know it this has any bearing on the springs or whatever it is that retracts the belt, but maybe this attributes to the wearing out process faster? Thoughts anyone?

SBTerminator

Established Member
Looking for an answer myself. Been told that the locking mechanism inside popped on them from hitting the brakes too hard. They wants almost $450 buck to install two new ones. I laughed and said No Thanks

hotcobra03

Established Member
wow i just search if others were having problems too..

i just had to replace passengerside...went to bone yard..ford is 180 bucks..paid 12.50 at bone yard..

i had to use driverside on passenger side..they are different...i had to also take off the safety /rollover switch to get it to work...

heres pics of passenger seat belt with the lock ..its like a tilt switch...

seat belt still locks when pulled hard

0311110904a_355726.jpg

0311110903b_346668.jpg

0311110903a_327578.jpg

0311110902a_345454.jpg

0311111007a_87173.jpg

Last edited:

SpectorV

Established Member
its pretty easy to remove them, the back panels are not that hard to take out~ you can pick some up that work at a pull a part junk yard

Users who are viewing this thread