SD Trans Cooler Intalled

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
Took a few hours taking my time. There are at least two variations of the SD cooler. The one I got off Ebay is 10 rows and the ones most other's use are 14 row units. Steve at SVT parts knows which one you'll need. Here's the dealeo.

The front bumper and cover are removed first. I removed the heat exchanger and then the 8 bolts that hold the bumper/cover to the bumper brackets.
sdcooler004ub7.jpg

Next the grille, surround and grille support come off. The corner lights need to be removed but the heads can stay put. The grille surround is held on by only screws and there are two clips in the bottom where it snaps into the support. You'll also have a great time with all of the rubber baffles and the christmas tree fasteners that hold it in.
sdcooler003fc3.jpg

Now we can see the stock tranny cooler. Before removing it slightly loosen the two lines going into it, it's easier while still mounted to the structure. Then remove three 10mm bolts that hold it to the frame. Finish removing the lines over a drain pan and put it aside.
sdcooler002wj9.jpg

sdcooler001qa0.jpg

I cut the hard lines close to the fittings and flared the ends to make a barb for the hoses.
sdcooler014hj2.jpg

Next I positioned the SD cooler and marked/drilled the holes. Sheet metal screws were used to mount it to the frame.
sdcooler006fv6.jpg

sdcooler007vu9.jpg

sdcooler008ww3.jpg

sdcooler009gg0.jpg

sdcooler010xu4.jpg

Now for a trip to Summit Racing-only four miles from my house :pepper: . I picked up their remote tranny filter kit.
sdcooler012ic0.jpg

sdcooler011hp2.jpg

I positioned, marked and drilled the three holes to mount the filter bracket. This is the same place others have used so no thought went into where I put it. Thanks SWThomas. :thumbsup:

Once mounted I applied teflon tape to the hose fittings and installed them into the bracket as well. The threaded tube that that filter screws onto went in next and I used red locktite on the end that went into the filter bracket.

sdcooler013jg5.jpg

Next I plumbed the lines for the cooler and filter. The fluid path is from the radiator cooler into the filter then out to the SD cooler and then back to the tranny. The line on the passenger side of the stock cooler is the return line to the tranny btw. I ziptied the hoses and postioned them to prevent and kinks or chafing.
sdcooler015io0.jpg

I used a cutoff tool to increase the notched out area of the passenger side mount tab for the grille support and notched the grille support itself to make room for the two lines.
sdcooler017yr9.jpg

sdcooler016vy2.jpg

sdcooler015io0.jpg

At this point you should start it up, set the parking brake and run the trans through all the gears to leak check the system. Once done finish reassembly and go for a drive. I didn't log any temps yet, just went for a quick drive to make sure all was well. I'll most likely have some info when I got to the track Sunday.

Let the questions begin!!

:beer:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread