SCT Tuners: How safe are the preset tunes?

jrscobra

blank
Established Member
So, Ive never tuned a vehicle in my life. Ive always relied on the factory settings. Well, now I have a new Ford Ranger Lariat. The SCT BDX Tuner offers me about 59 hp and same in torque or close to it.

How reliable is the engine with a tune that offers that much power without any other mods? Roush offers a Performance Tune with just 11 hp upgrade with a CAI. They call it perf. pack 1. They just came out with perf pack 2, which includes an exhaust and the cost is up there!

SCT tuner is 399.00. Am I flirting with disaster?

Thanks,
Jaime

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
One more question, how much do you like your warranty? Once you load a tune the engine warranty is void. Something to consider since you're worried about blowing the engine.

jrscobra

blank
Established Member
I work for a Ford Dealer, so Im aware of the risk. I dont want to blow the engine, but a little extra torque would do me well. The Ranger is rated at 7500lbs towing. This weekend I towed 3k and couldnt even tell it was back there. I know if I hook a larger camper to it, Im gonna feel it. The Extra torque and HP would be nice. The SCT programmer comes with pre-programmed tunes. Im sure one is for towing. Im looking for folks with daily drivers with tunes that have been reliable or otherwise....

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Just giving another perspective. Seeing as the Rangers are still new I doubt there's a lot of info out there yet.

But then also I'm of the opinion that if you're going to be pulling something close to max with any kind of regularity you should step up to a half ton. I've played the close to max game, it's not fun.

96gt02

Established Member
sct canned tunes are very safe which is the reason so many opt for custom tuning to get even better gains

TerminatoRS

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
All the makers of tuning software generally keep those canned/OTS tunes fairly conservative. They add just enough to make them enticing and to make use of more efficient aftermarket parts without totally sacrificing reliability. In a way, they kind of have to considering all the variables that can be introduced via the environment and actions of the end user. Basically building in some fluff space for stupid people. At the end of the day, their name is on the line so it's beneficial to them as well.

The Ecoboost stuff is pretty well documented at this point so I wouldn't be especially apprehensive. Granted the Ranger platform is new, but it's still a 2.3 which is far from uncharted. 59hp seems pretty lofty without any parts being swapped, however. 59tq? Mayyyyybe since these motors love to make torque. I imagine this on 93 octane? If you're after some mild basics, I'd say go for the SCT, one step colder plugs, and a high flow air filter. Beyond that, the intercooler is usually the next choke point, but I don't know that anyone makes aftermarket ones yet or if you want to go that far.

For further peace of mind and as a personal example:
Our FBO Fiesta ST is running a Cobb OTS tune. That's an aftermarket catted downpipe, cat-back, intake, intercooler, plugs...room for variables is my point here. Our tuner put it on the rollers to see what it made and to look over parameters. He even said everything looked solid and if anything he could probably squeeze more out of it. ~20k later, not a single issue unless you count excessive tire wear.

Last edited:

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
sounds like you should have just bought a bigger truck

Users who are viewing this thread