SCT Tune issues with HP tuner help???

BRileyNV

Established Member
I took my car to a well known tune shop here in my town to have the SCT tune modified and after a couple days I went in to the shop to see what was going on and the tuner said he believes the tune was Corrupt and wouldn't let him install the tune that he wanted and would have to send his HP tuner to get updated so that it would allow him to modify the tune. Has anyone else ever had these types of issues when trying to get a tune modified? I just bought the car about a month ago so I'm still getting to know this car. I asked the tuner to delete the EGR monitor so I would be able to get thru emissions.

Sent from my SM-N960U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
Many shops are having issues with their ability to tune with SCT now because of the EPA settlement. He likely cannot do what you need him to do so now he wants to use HP Tuners instead.

cj428mach

Established Member
I'm confused because you talk about an SCT being corrupt and your tuner updating his HP tuners setup.

I will say that a little while back SCT had an update for X4's and it has caused a lot of peoples cars to have issues loading tunes. I know of 3 guys that their X4 wouldn't read the tune off the car before reflashing after the update. One guy had completely changed his setup so his car wouldn't even run. He spent days on the phone with SCT and they blamed his car, had him install a new battery, said it was the pcm, said it was his OBD2 connector. I went over with my laptop and mongoose cable and was able to connect to his pcm. He borrowed my old X3 and was able to connect to his car and get a tune on his car.

BRileyNV

Established Member
I'm confused because you talk about an SCT being corrupt and your tuner updating his HP tuners setup.

I will say that a little while back SCT had an update for X4's and it has caused a lot of peoples cars to have issues loading tunes. I know of 3 guys that their X4 wouldn't read the tune off the car before reflashing after the update. One guy had completely changed his setup so his car wouldn't even run. He spent days on the phone with SCT and they blamed his car, had him install a new battery, said it was the pcm, said it was his OBD2 connector. I went over with my laptop and mongoose cable and was able to connect to his pcm. He borrowed my old X3 and was able to connect to his car and get a tune on his car.
My tuner said the SCT 4 tune that was flashed on the cobra was Corrupt, I really am not sure what he meant by that as well as he didnt go into the SCT to much but to say it's not letting him him modify the tune and when he tries to load the stock tune the car runs like complete shit. He said this is forcing him to get a update from HP tuners so he can do what he needs to do. I was confused with all this as well that's why I'm asking if anybody has had this issue as well. To be honest I never thought I would have had this many issues with tuning and removing certain parameters. That's the problem when you buy a Cobra is you really dont know what's been done to these cars until you really start digging deep into the car.

cj428mach

Established Member
You're probably too deep into it now, but you really need a tuner or person that has the equipment to pull the tune off the car modify it and reflash it. SCT equipment doesn't allow that.

BRileyNV

Established Member
You're probably too deep into it now, but you really need a tuner or person that has the equipment to pull the tune off the car modify it and reflash it. SCT equipment doesn't allow that.
That's why he said he has to get his HP tuner software updated so he can do a tune directly to the car. Your right I'm am to deep into it now

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Look at the positive side of this. You've learned that there are better ways/better equipment out there for tunes. Question. Do you really want to rely on this shop to maintain/update/modify your HP tune going forward? What's their reputation?

Curt@injected

That's why he said he has to get his HP tuner software updated so he can do a tune directly to the car. Your right I'm am to deep into it now

It's not an update. SCT doesn't fix the checksums when tuning. Hptuners won't let you even view a file with screwed up checksums so if you ever try to read out a file modified with sct in hptuners you can not view it. You have to send it in to support so that they can correct the checksums which is probably what he is waiting on.

BRileyNV

Established Member
Look at the positive side of this. You've learned that there are better ways/better equipment out there for tunes. Question. Do you really want to rely on this shop to maintain/update/modify your HP tune going forward? What's their reputation?
This is the best tuning shop in our town and has a very good reputation. I dont know what else I can really do at this point unless I was to buy the HP tuner software and I learned out to tune it myself.

BRileyNV

Established Member
It's not an update. SCT doesn't fix the checksums when tuning. Hptuners won't let you even view a file with screwed up checksums so if you ever try to read out a file modified with sct in hptuners you can not view it. You have to send it in to support so that they can correct the checksums which is probably what he is waiting on.
Ok that makes sense. He said it will take a week to get back from support before he can modify the tune. That's why I was so confused on what he meant

BRileyNV

Established Member
Ok that makes sense. He said it will take a week to get back from support before he can modify the tune. That's why I was so confused on what he meant

To be 100% honest this whole issue with the tuning and the emissions has really put alot of stress on me. I bought this car thinking I had found a really nice terminator with the right bolts and for a good price and now I'm so worried that I'm never going to enjoy this car like I wanted. I just really hope that this tuner will be able to figure these issues out and I'm able to really enjoy driving my dream car.

cj428mach

Established Member
This is the best tuning shop in our town and has a very good reputation. I dont know what else I can really do at this point unless I was to buy the HP tuner software and I learned out to tune it myself.

Binary Editor. Its what I have, I can read out a tune on a PCM, make any changes I want and reflash the car. Cost is $96 per license which allows you to tune that car forever. So for $96 buck a person with similar setup could make the change.

BRileyNV

Established Member
Binary Editor. Its what I have, I can read out a tune on a PCM, make any changes I want and reflash the car. Cost is $96 per license which allows you to tune that car forever. So for $96 buck a person with similar setup could make the change.
Do you need any other software or equipment

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs

It sounds like then the shop will get your tune straightened out. If they didn't have an established reputation I'd probably be concerned going forward. But that's not the case. I believe very soon you'll have a properly tuned Cobra and you can start to really enjoy driving it.

BRileyNV

Established Member
It sounds like then the shop will get your tune straightened out. If they didn't have an established reputation I'd probably be concerned going forward. But that's not the case. I believe very soon you'll have a properly tuned Cobra and you can start to really enjoy driving it.
I really hope so, thank you for the support!!!!

HPTuners

Established Member
Hello,

Your tuner is most likely in the process of upgrading his MPVI (old device) to our new MPVI2 (new device)
Support for the Mustang Cobra is only available using the new device which is why he needed to send it in before he can tune your vehicle.
You can double check on our support list here but my guess would be that your vehicle will have a blue (2) next to it.
Supported Vehicles List – HPTuners

Hope this helps.

BRileyNV

Established Member
Hello,

Your tuner is most likely in the process of upgrading his MPVI (old device) to our new MPVI2 (new device)
Support for the Mustang Cobra is only available using the new device which is why he needed to send it in before he can tune your vehicle.
You can double check on our support list here but my guess would be that your vehicle will have a blue (2) next to it.

Hope this helps.
Thank you so much for the help, that makes me feel alot better

BRileyNV

Established Member
Hello,

Hope this helps.
Do you think he will have any problem with removing some of the monitors? This whole tunning thing is new to me has me stressed out just wondering what your thoughts are on it

Users who are viewing this thread