SCT SF3/X3 handheld firmware update issues

el jefe 302

Making all kinds of gainz
Established Member
Hey guys im sharing the fix I found for the x3 old firmware update freeze issues.

Hopefully if someone else has this issue it will be searchable!

Running on a windows 8.1 computer

I was updating my old sf3/x3 device from 2010 with really old firmware and it was hung up on the firmware update process for hours( the green bars were not moving), because for some reason SCT stopped putting the firmware files on there site to manually update it, so you are forced to use the: Automatically check for updates box.

After many many searches to find if someone uploaded the firmware files(Could only find old x3 3000 files not 3015(XP)

I noticed that the device had a bootloader screen when it was trying to update.

So I rechecked the drivers and they where fine as in no !. next to the x3 in device manager. However what you need to do is plug the device in while holding down the cancel button to put the device into firmware update mode. When in that mode it had a driver issue in device manager.

So you need to manually install the device drivers for both the normal mode (just plugging it in) AND the firmware mode (holding down cancel while plugging in the device):mj:

After I did that sure enough its downloading 2988 files as I type! I guess as it updates the device switches to a bootloader mode and the computer quits recognizing it so it will freeze the update.

So now I will be able to hold ten tunes! That three tune crap was a pain in the butt.

CLIFFS:

When updating an ancient x3 running old firmware make sure to manually update the device drivers in both the normal mode and the firmware mode.

Last edited:

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
Last edited:

2k3Mach

Established Member
I'm having the same problem. I'm hoping to fix it, but I'm not sure what you meant in your post. Where and how do you install the drivers outside of the SCT Updater program?

Could you read my thread and offer any advice? I never had the "!" exclamation point problem in Device Manager though.

Thanks!

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?1117118-Can-t-Upload-More-Than-3-Tunes-to-SCT3

What he means is to hold down cancel on tuner as you plug in. Once it's plugged in it will have a blank screen. Go into device manager and verify it's not showing as needing driver. If this shows up as sct device do this

1). Unplug tuner, then replug in so you can see screen

2). Open Device Updater software

3). verify device reads correctly by going into "Display Device Settings and Serial Number"

4). if so click back, then go into "Automatically check for updates"

Once it shows your tune has an update, go ahead and click the update

5). Wait until you get to the point it seems to "hang" then do this

6). Unplug USB cable, then re-insert while holding down cancel

Nate L

Hey guys im sharing the fix I found for the x3 old firmware update freeze issues.

Hopefully if someone else has this issue it will be searchable!

Running on a windows 8.1 computer

I was updating my old sf3/x3 device from 2010 with really old firmware and it was hung up on the firmware update process for hours( the green bars were not moving), because for some reason SCT stopped putting the firmware files on there site to manually update it, so you are forced to use the: Automatically check for updates box.

After many many searches to find if someone uploaded the firmware files(Could only find old x3 3000 files not 3015(XP)

I noticed that the device had a bootloader screen when it was trying to update.

So I rechecked the drivers and they where fine as in no !. next to the x3 in device manager. However what you need to do is plug the device in while holding down the cancel button to put the device into firmware update mode. When in that mode it had a driver issue in device manager.

So you need to manually install the device drivers for both the normal mode (just plugging it in) AND the firmware mode (holding down cancel while plugging in the device):mj:

After I did that sure enough its downloading 2988 files as I type! I guess as it updates the device switches to a bootloader mode and the computer quits recognizing it so it will freeze the update.

So now I will be able to hold ten tunes! That three tune crap was a pain in the butt.

CLIFFS:

When updating an ancient x3 running old firmware make sure to manually update the device drivers in both the normal mode and the firmware mode.

Thanks man, this worked like a charm!!

Users who are viewing this thread