SCT Firmware Update for X4 Tuners

Van@RevanRacing

I'm having customers with intermittent issues when they receive their 13-6 kit or other products that are utilizing the SCT X4 Tuner. Some devices require an update of 255 items. I'm updating a device right now that had 544 Updates.

If you go to flash your car and you get any sort of failure to flash errors it is most likely in need of the Firmware update. If you currently have any SCT Device I would recommend following the necessary steps to make sure your firmware is up to date if you flash the car regularly. If you do not flash the car with different tunes regularly "if it ain't broke don't fix it"

Here is the procedure you need to follow:

Proceed to:

http://www.sctflash.com/showdeviceupdates.php?PNID=7015

This will download SCT Device Updater as an Executable File. Look for SCT Device updater and click on the link to download the software.

Once you install it the drivers should hook up to the SCT Device once you plug the SCT Device into your Windows based computer via the provided Micro USB Cable. (IF IT DOES NOT RECOGNIZE OF FIND DEVICE, TRY TO REBOOT)

If it still does not recognize the device call SCT during the week. They are open till 10:00 PM EST and they will remote in and fix the drivers and start the remote firmware update process. 407-774-2447

In the event your device is recognized by the software after you launch Device Updater in the upper left hand corner of the interface is a button "Automatically Check for Updates"

This will link you to the SCT website and if your device is in fact in need up any updates it will advise you so and you can proceed with updating the device.

In the past we always had to return the car to stock prior to doing an update. If you want to take this precaution you can but it doesn't appear to affect the custom tunes we load onto the devices after a Firmware update.

EFFECTIVE TODAY all pending orders with Custom Tunes are being Updated Prior to Shipping from Revan Racing.

I apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused any of my customers and I thank you for your continued support.

Thanks,

Van
Revan Racing, Inc.

Cman01

hello
Established Member
I haven't really used my X4 too much but I do plug it in to the laptop and update it, the last I did was something like 400+ updates. It took forever to do it.

What exactly are some of these updates anyone know? I'm thinking they must be tunes from SCT for all the Ford vehicles this device can plug into and obviously for us Mustang guys a lot of these updates aren't necessary.

Tony

eagle eye

Established Member
There are Firmware updates for the unit and how it processes information and transfers data to the vehicle PCM.

Van, I've only used my X4 once, when I initially loaded the tune. I've never updated it. Should I occasionally update the X4?
Will I have a problem downloading updates seeing how all my devices are Macs?
Thanks

Outback101

Established Member
MAC and SCT'4s

You'll need to find a buddy with a Windows based computer. I had the same problem that Van is describing and he quickly got me on track and screaming with my 13-6 kit. The tuner would not work on the car (2014) without the update. Doesn't take that long but seems like forever.

Van's customer service is first rate!!:rolling:

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member
I had to update mine a couple weeks ago when I did the 13-6 but I had an additional issue. My Alpine/Maestro/Idata link setup keeps Sync functionality on the Alpine. I can also pull data from the OBD II port and display gauges on the Alpine. Even with the Alpine off the SCT tune still failed, I had to go into the settings and completely turn off the Alpine/ OBD integration. Then the tune was flashed onto the car with no further problems. Huge sigh of relief right there. Without Van and SCT tech support, I would have been putting the stock parts right back on the car. That would have truly sucked.

Add Name Here

Hook Damn It Hook
Established Member
Hey van, I understand the whole if it ain't broke don't fix it thing and I don't plan on changing my regular tune but I'm wondering if I should just update my X4 anyway. I have a valet tune, I was gonna load it last week just to test it out but got caught up with other crap and didn't get a chance. I would just wait until my next set of mods to have the tuner update it but now I really want to test the valet but don't want to mess anything up. You said you used to have to return cars to stock to update but it shouldn't cause an issue with current loaded tunes? I just don't want to update and potentially lose or mess up my current tune. Sorry probably a dumb question but the car runs perfect right now and with my luck somehow I'll break something

GT500662

Established Member
I'm updating my device right now. 538 files, is this normal? Didn't actually need the tuner right now just thought about it, and decided to update in case I do need it. That way hopefully I will be ready to go if I need the tuner. Waste of time? ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411566800.083621.jpg

Last edited:

VFORCEJOHN

Established Member
I believe what he's asking is... "Would you return the car to the stock tune. Load the updates. then reflash to the new setup."

I got stuck at the track trying to update a tune over the wi-fi at the track. Then, the car wouldn't start. I had to call SCT friday at 6:30 pm and they sent me a recovery tune. Now, according to the sct tuner, I have no stock tune to load back to. It's running very good so I'm not even messing with it. Cold air has been very good to the motor at night.

LT5

Established Member
Should you return the car to stock tune before you do the update?

Yes . Recomended by SCT.
I returned to stock before updating. No problems with the process.

Some folks have had problems by not loading the stock tune before updating.

GT500662

Established Member
I did not return to stock...I hope there is not an issue. I guess I should of read a little more. I didn't see where it was recommended

GT500662

Established Member
I think you know what to do to find the answer to your question.

A link to an example on another forum. May help if the worst should happen.

http://www.fordgt500.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81362

A call to SCT before you attempt anything may add some reassurance.

Best of luck.

Thanks for the info....it was a boneheaded move on my part. At least I have not plugged it in yet. My tune is good and no immediate plans to do anything. But I will need to get it worked out before I do need it.

Users who are viewing this thread