Sct code 21000 and 21001 fix?

Badaz01

Established Member
As the title says I started getting these codes intermittently as of recent when trying to read my CEL codes. I contacted sct and they said it is an error or interruption when trying to read the codes. I can clear the screen and pull it back up right away and it lets me read and clear my codes strange ain it. Just for a little history I put my maf in with the plug a little to far back a while ago and smeared my wires on my plug it threw this 21000 error due to that and burnt up the 30 amp pcm fuse I replaced all of that and everything works great again for about 200 miles and now it’s showing this error intermittently. Any help or advice would be appreciated. The sct tech suggested a new obd cable and if that doesn’t clear up the error code to check all grounds and other connections. Thanks in advance.

01yellercobra

Established Member
What do you mean by you smeared the wires? If you blew a 30 amp fuse you might have to start tracing wires and see if anything else is damaged.

Badaz01

Established Member
What do you mean by you smeared the wires? If you blew a 30 amp fuse you might have to start tracing wires and see if anything else is damaged.
When I steered the wheel hard left the edge of my tire smeard/cut the wires to the maf plug basically rubbed them off due to having the maf clocked a little to far back. How difficult will the task of tracing wires be?

01yellercobra

Established Member
That's another first for me. I've never seen MAF wires close enough to the tire for that to happen. You must be really low.

I'd start at the plug under the ECU. But unfortunately it's one of those jobs that sucks because you have to follow the routing. You might get lucky and not have to open up any of the loom. I'm wondering if something is still uncovered and possibly touching sheet metal at random times?

Badaz01

Established Member
That's another first for me. I've never seen MAF wires close enough to the tire for that to happen. You must be really low.

I'd start at the plug under the ECU. But unfortunately it's one of those jobs that sucks because you have to follow the routing. You might get lucky and not have to open up any of the loom. I'm wondering if something is still uncovered and possibly touching sheet metal at random times?
Not sure I’ll have to put er up on Jack stands and start at the passenger wheel well and go from there I guess. I’ll double check and make sure none of the wiring is exposed where we cut the new plug in. And yes I’m two fingers over my front wheels. The whole tire rubbing was my fault though I put the maf back to where it was and haven’t rubbed since. The only reason I moved it was because the pigtail wire was rubbing so I spun it back a little to clear it and caused bigger issue. Since the new pigtail was installed it was long enough to wrap around the front of charge pipe.

01yellercobra

Established Member
FWIW, depending on your set up you can get a flange that mounts to the blower pipe. Then you can move the MAF to inside the engine compartment and not have to worry about it anymore.

Badaz01

Established Member
FWIW, depending on your set up you can get a flange that mounts to the blower pipe. Then you can move the MAF to inside the engine compartment and not have to worry about it anymore.
Ok cool I’ll have to look into that. Hopefully in the mean time this won’t hurt the car any. It hasn’t had any hindrance on it so far just the pita CEL. I’ll give the new obd cable to the handheld a shot but I doubt it fixes it never that easy for me lol.

Last edited:

01yellercobra

Established Member
I can't see the cable for the hand held suddenly becoming an issue unless it's physically damaged some how. Try plugging it into another car. That will tell you if it's good or bad.

Badaz01

Established Member
I can't see the cable for the hand held suddenly becoming an issue unless it's physically damaged some how. Try plugging it into another car. That will tell you if it's good or bad.
Yea the tech mentioned that he said maybe it got kinked or maybe the leads on either side could be slightly damaged enough to throw the 21001 error code. He was just guessing being that this 21001 code is not showing itself constantly. Idk I have been getting the p1000 for emissions circuit and p0153 for the O2 sensors not reading in time but I have no cats so go figure. Im gonna take it to my tuner and see if he can get that to stop to. He told me the other day he can make adjustments then I can run it again and see if it helps. If not he said he will adjust things again until it clears it for good. While I have him at it might as well check all the wiring.

Vinnie_B

"LIVE LIFE AT FULL THROTTLE"
Established Member
Premium Member
Sounds like your SCT handheld according to there faults cannot communicate with the PCM.

DESCRIPTION: 21000​

READ DTCS FAILED

DESCRIPTION: 21001​

COMMAND FAILED SENDING TO MB ON READ DTCS

OBD ports can get damaged along with pins but I think you might have a issue with your PCM. I would try Forscan (PC) version and see what DTC's you get or if you can communicate with the PCM. Looks like you blew 30 amp fuse from the battery juction box which also goes thru your Constant Control Relay Module as well. Sometimes when a PCM goes bad you start to get odd ball faults like your getting as well. Without scanning your PCM module , network and checking your DTC'S and CMDTC'S I cant say for sure but I dont buy a bad odb cable either. Good luck !!

Lightning Fast⚡Electrical Automotive Repair
PM Me or [email protected]
Remote or Local (On Site) Technical Repair

Badaz01

Established Member
Sounds like your SCT handheld according to there faults cannot communicate with the PCM.

DESCRIPTION: 21000​

READ DTCS FAILED

DESCRIPTION: 21001​

COMMAND FAILED SENDING TO MB ON READ DTCS

OBD ports can get damaged along with pins but I think you might have a issue with your PCM. I would try Forscan (PC) version and see what DTC's you get or if you can communicate with the PCM. Looks like you blew 30 amp fuse from the battery juction box which also goes thru your Constant Control Relay Module as well. Sometimes when a PCM goes bad you start to get odd ball faults like your getting as well. Without scanning your PCM module , network and checking your DTC'S and CMDTC'S I cant say for sure but I dont buy a bad odb cable either. Good luck !!

Lightning Fast⚡Electrical Automotive Repair
It’s been ok for the last few times I’ve triggered a p0153 cel but tonight when it triggered the cel again it threw the 21001 error. I clicked off the screen of my handheld and went back in and it read and cleared the codes. This p0153 happens about every 10 miles.

Vinnie_B

"LIVE LIFE AT FULL THROTTLE"
Established Member
Premium Member
P0153 - HO2S Sensor Circuit Slow Response (HO2S-21)

**The HEGO Monitor checks the HO2S Sensor frequency and amplitude. If during testing the frequency and amplitude were to fall below a calibrated limit, the test will fail.

You mentioned you have no cats. Did your tuner turn these sensors off?

Things I would advise you to check that would generate this fault as well would be:
  • Exhaust leaks
  • Shorted /open wiring
  • Improper fueling
  • ***MAF sensor or wiring
  • Inlet air leaks

** If the o2 sensor is still enabled and being used in your current tune PO153 could be generated by these conditions.

• Contaminated HO2S sensor
  • Deteriorating HO2S sensor

If you need Diagnostic Troubleshooting and help repairing electrical system feel free to reach out to me.

Lightning Fast⚡Electrical Automotive Repair LLC

Badaz01

Established Member
P0153 - HO2S Sensor Circuit Slow Response (HO2S-21)

**The HEGO Monitor checks the HO2S Sensor frequency and amplitude. If during testing the frequency and amplitude were to fall below a calibrated limit, the test will fail.

You mentioned you have no cats. Did your tuner turn these sensors off?

Things I would advise you to check that would generate this fault as well would be:
  • Exhaust leaks
  • Shorted /open wiring
  • Improper fueling
  • ***MAF sensor or wiring
  • Inlet air leaks

** If the o2 sensor is still enabled and being used in your current tune PO153 could be generated by these conditions.

• Contaminated HO2S sensor
  • Deteriorating HO2S sensor

If you need Diagnostic Troubleshooting and help repairing electrical system feel free to reach out to me.

Lightning Fast⚡Electrical Automotive Repair LLC
Forgive me for bumping such an old thread but I just got to the bottom of this P0153 code and it was a bad sensor. Switched the two around and got a P 0133 code that’s how I found out. Talk about procrastination lol.

Users who are viewing this thread