SCT Bama tuner, installed another tuner's file, now car is dead and can't load tunes

KrisR

Established Member
2011 GT Automatic.

Bought SCT Bama tuner. Tried tunes. Got another tuner's tune emailed to me, installed the SCT Updater software to upload the new tune, got as far as loading the new tune in the car and as soon as I did that the car went into some sort of failsafe mode, nothing happens when I hit the starter, but all the dash lights are on with key on including an icon of a car with a padlock through it, flashing. My SCT handheld now says Error Code 1027 'incorrect vehicle' and I cannot load any tunes, including the stock tune, or even get the car's VIN info from the tuner.

So now I'm stuck with a car without a tune in it and a device that won't communicate with my PCM. I was able to get a copy of the original tune (or so I think) from the SCT handheld and saved it to my laptop.

Tried disconnecting and reconnecting the battery, no help.

I emailed SCT, see what they say tomorrow I guess.

PCM code EEU7
SCT serial # XP04013CABA8
FW Version 1.2.154
Tune Version 2.060PFDUS
Unlocks left: 5
Strategy: FSDL5AA

Last edited:

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Battery trick usually works. Unhook it and turn the headlights on and hit the brake pedal a few times to make sure you discharge and current and reset the KAM.

Adiabatik

Banned
No, I did not. I'm reading now (after the fact) that I probably should have done that.

Yeah you always need to return the car to stock. Talk to SCT first and see what they have to say You may need to tow the car to the dealer so they can completely reflash the ECU

KrisR

Established Member
Update, friendly fella from SCT got me all straightened out. Created a recovery file using my previously stored stock-pcm file, took control of my laptop, and installed file into my handheld. I then installed the stock tune back into the car, and car started up and ran, no issues.

Then, like a ****ing idiot, I loaded a DIFFERENT one of tuner friend's tunes (this one with a supposed correct strategy code) onto my handheld and then into the car. Car immediately had the same issue and it's dead again. Now I have to wait until Monday at least so SCT can save my ass again.

Trying to figure out why I don't drink.........

2k3Mach

Established Member
Update, friendly fella from SCT got me all straightened out. Created a recovery file using my previously stored stock-pcm file, took control of my laptop, and installed file into my handheld. I then installed the stock tune back into the car, and car started up and ran, no issues.

Then, like a ****ing idiot, I loaded a DIFFERENT one of tuner friend's tunes (this one with a supposed correct strategy code) onto my handheld and then into the car. Car immediately had the same issue and it's dead again. Now I have to wait until Monday at least so SCT can save my ass again.

Trying to figure out why I don't drink.........

Hahaha. .. Stay away from that friend!

KrisR

Established Member
Hahaha. .. Stay away from that friend!

LOL. He's always tuned my Ford stuff. Always went fine. Ah well.

I was thinking of getting an AED E85 tune but now I will be scared to load any new tunes into this tuner myself. Argh.

Adiabatik

Banned
Good thing SCT helped you out. For the love of God people, don't let ANYONE tune your car who isn't reputable. A lot of people THINK they can tune but will just **** things up. A guy in a garage who claims he can tune...CANT! Don't learn the hard way.

KrisR

Established Member
Good thing SCT helped you out. For the love of God people, don't let ANYONE tune your car who isn't reputable. A lot of people THINK they can tune but will just **** things up. A guy in a garage who claims he can tune...CANT! Don't learn the hard way.

I agree with your statement. However, my tuner friend IS reputable around these parts, he's just not famous on the internetz, so I didn't really get into who it was. He worked at a couple big name shops around here, now he works at a large Ford / SVT dealer in the area, both as a Tech and as the sole tuner for them (they have their own chassis dyno). They do a lot of FRPP Blowers plus some aftermarket parts (headers, bolt ons) on new Mustangs and such.

So I do agree that you should not just trust some no-name kid (or adult for that matter) with a laptop and some software. My friend doesn't fit that category.

KrisR

Established Member
Why didn't the car accept the new tune?

Don't know. I'm guessing it's a strategy code issue or something that the car doesn't like about my friend's tunes. Plan is to hopefully have SCT get me another recovery file tomorrow and reload one of my Bama tunes. I'm guessing it will work fine.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread