Scotch

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
Im gonna try and switch from beer to scotch as my go to drink. My last experience with scotch was horrid...JW Blue Label in the form of a shot. That was back in 2011 at Al Udied, AB and none of us knew wtf we were doing, we just bought the most expensive liquor they had as a celebration.

I looked up good beginner scotch’s and was given a “top 5” list and bought 2 off the list, Glenmoranie 10 and Glenlivet 12. So what’s the best way to drink these? Room temp poured over ice or just add a few droplets of water?

coposrv

Established Member
My go to is glenlevit 15. Room temp and usually pour it over one large cube. The cube is made by filling a two piece mold.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Make it to Cypress/Houston area and I will introduce you to some good scotch! I don’t care for the real peaty stuff. One of my favorite go to bottles is Balvenie Doublewood 12, it’s middle of the road price wise for 12 year. Another favorite 12 is Cardhu, it should be in the lower 40 range. You can always pay more, but those two 12 year single malts are my daily drivers.

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
My go to is glenlevit 15. Room temp and usually pour it over one large cube. The cube is made by filling a two piece mold.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
Same, I have the round molds. They melt a lot slower than cubed ice.

Enjoy scotch but I'm still more a whiskey man.

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
There’s four kinds of scotch.

Bottom shelf, of which I’m a conni-sewer. Like Clan MacGregor. Very economical. No character, but fairly agreeable for the budget minded volume drinker.

Then there’s good scotch that doesnt taste like a smoldering peat bog. Think Glenlivet.

Then there’s your Islay type whiskies that taste exactly like a smoldering peat bog.

And then there’s your unrefined diesel fuel. I try to avoid those.

MFE

Established Member
Stick with a nice mild Highland, and don't listen to the dickwads who say you have to drink it neat.

Pribilof

Life's Better @ Elevation
Established Member
My advice is to to go to a whiskey bar where you can taste a few different ones and talk to a bartender who knows whiskey and can help you find something you like

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
Uhhh......why?

The same reason as having 800RWHP in a street car. Because you can, and it is manly.
My advice is to to go to a whiskey bar where you can taste a few different ones and talk to a bartender who knows whiskey and can help you find something you like
Scotch is "whisky".

Bourbon, Tennessee whiskey, Canadian whiskey, and I believe even Irish whiskey are all "whiskey" with an "e".

You can be a bottom shelf swilling rube like me and still be a scotch snob. ;)

VegasMichael

Established Member
I looked up good beginner scotch’s and was given a “top 5” list and bought 2 off the list, Glenmoranie 10 and Glenlivet 12. So what’s the best way to drink these? Room temp poured over ice or just add a few droplets of water?

Just experiment and end up drinking it the way you enjoy it. I'm a fast drinker so when I have it on the rocks the ice barely gets a chance to melt much. Personally I never liked it neat but to each his own. A few years ago I pretty much abandoned beer in favor of hard liquor because I can get where I want to be a lot faster and it's much less filling. I still have the occasional glass of suds but not often. I've had a case of Modelo in the fridge for almost a month and have only had one bottle.

MFE

Established Member
Mustang enthusiast that insist on sipping Scotch is kinda like a meth head that refuses to light up without their smoking jacket

But what if he's asking so that he can honor his friend the soldier who got killed by a sniper while volunteering to drive his buddy to a phone to talk to his pregnant wife, on the one day he took off? You heartless ****.

Blown 89

Established Member
Step 1) Google the phrase 'types of scotch' to get a run down on the different types and flavor profiles. Figure out what you might like.

Step 2) Order a bunch of drams at www.drinksbythedram.com (aka mastersofmalt.com/samples) and have yourself a cheap tasting session.

Step 3) bookmark that site and be a hero at gift giving.

Fwiw one of my favorite blended Irish whiskies is Jameson Limited Reserve 18. Oh and be a dickwad and drink it neat.... it's 2018 and we arent heathens anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread