SCOA-2 OPEN TRACK ???

Cobra R Man

IMSA RACE CAR
Established Member
Tom,

Did I hear you mention a track in Burmingham, AL.?
Sounds good to this Florida boy.
Maybe Houston???
I've been to the mid west and had a great time. Try some of that southern hospitallity.

Gene

PS. How's this for a start of a new thread?

CobraR77

IMSA R Fanatic
Established Member
Something less then 1300 miles from me this time sounds great!!!

Stanger58

Established Member
I vote for;

1) GingerMan (South Haven, MI)
2) Hallett (Tulsa, OK)
3) Heartland Park (Topeka, KS)
4) IRP or Putnam Park (both near Indianapolis, IN)
5) VIR (Danville, VA)

Good selection of AVAILABLE tracks...although VIR can be a little difficult to find any open dates at...

Both GingerMan and Hallett can be driven in two different directions :p Heartland Park has four different configurations... :-D

Just my .02 cents worth...

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
But driving to the event is part of the great fun.

Actually, at this point we are still evaluating how SCOA-1 did and determining if we are going to attempt SCOA-2 for next year. I will say that the turnout was disappointing. We are a club with close to 900 members and total member count was no more than 20 at the event. Where were all the others???? You can do the math and quickly realize that this had the potential to be a HUGE money loser if it weren't for the extremely good contract we were in.

As I said, we are evaluating the pros and cons of this event and determining what the best direction is for next year.

Andy M

Established Member
I think we should just pick a track (regardless of what organization is running it) and an event and plan to meet there.

My first choice would be Hallet because - 1) I love the course there!! and 2) it is only 9 hours away from me

But, I would be open to trying out a different course somewhere else...even if it is a longer drive to get there... provided we plan early so I can make the proper scheduling plans with family and work.

What is the Topeka course like?? are there elevation changes like Hallet?? I can drive Topeka in one day...

Cobra-R

Established Member
One thing I like about MAM is that it offers the potential of an event grows, to both the tracker and the drag racer.
No event is going to be a huge event the first year, it takes time to grow it. I like MAM because it is a safe track, although Hallet is a funner track to drive.

Whatever we agree to, i am game for it. :D

Brian

Cobra R Man

IMSA RACE CAR
Established Member
game for it

Originally posted by Cobra-R
One thing I like about MAM is that it offers the potential of an event grows, to both the tracker and the drag racer.
No event is going to be a huge event the first year, it takes time to grow it. I like MAM because it is a safe track, although Hallet is a funner track to drive.

Whatever we agree to, i am game for it. :D

Brian

Brian,

I agree about MAM. The people there are so club and racer friendly. Safe track. It would give a novice confidence not to hurt his car if he ran off (say, turn 9) or spun out. I really enjoyed MAM. If you have it there next year, I'd be there even with the long tow, but I'd rather it be closer to home just like everyone else. Different tracks might draw different people. Maybe some of the SVT people from the southeast coast would break out their cars if it was in Burmingham. You can't please everyone, so just don't make it Vegas or California.

Gene

SL 1993 R

Established Member
I would make the California or Vegas venue... but it is such a long haul to the midwest.... although I have driven to Road America and Charlotte for events... 36 hours one way, non-stop to RA, is something you don't look to redo anytime soon..

Last edited:

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Guys,

I really appreciate the enthusiasm. And I don't want to stop the momentum. If SCOA doesn't do something I definately feel we need to choose a locale each year for the official "Unofficial Cobra R Meet".

My thoughts about events are I like seeing other cars. Vintage as well as newer models. Just makes the weekend more fun.

Hallett is a fun course. If you go there I would strongly recommend using the Mid-America Shelby Meet as the event and running Thursday and Saturday. You will get a ton of track time. Friday isn't bad, but you don't get as much seat time.

MAM is a nice facility. The dirt road there completely SUCKS!!! I was told by management it was going to be paved this year, but if it wasn't it was only 1/4 mile long (NOT). I would also enjoy a track with some elevation. To be very honest, the management is basically saying they are not interested in any future events if 60 cars @ $85/day isn't guaranteed. That doesn't include insurance. Doing the math makes that one pretty tough to swallow.

Of course, MCA is going to Nashville in early 2004. I don't think I can make that. And that is pretty soon for me to even think about planning.

I would be interested in anything in the mid-west or south. Heck, everything is 1000+ miles from me. I just get in the truck and drive. That is why I have a dually and enclosed trailer. To see this great country. With Joe and Andy just up the road (300 miles) from me that makes any trip a little more tolerable.

I would enjoy seeing a new track. I don't know what is around the Mississippi River area. I know some of you have spoken about tracks in LA and AL. Do they have any Ford-type events there? What about SCMC? What does their 2004 calendar look like? Is SVTOA worth doing or does it restrict us too much?

Tom

Andy M

Established Member
Tom,

There have been some discussions within the SCMC of trying to get out to Barber Motorsport Park in Birmingham AL next year?? but, we are not sure if we will have enough interest, or if we can even afford that place??? I've heard it is a really great track and has outstanding facilities though... heck, the owners have spent almost $50M on it... I don't think there is a gravel road leading to this one?!! :rollseyes

hey man, Joe and I would be honored to travel with you - any time my friend!!!:thumbsup: :beer:

Last edited:

Cobra-R

Established Member
Tom,
At MAM there is a way thru town to get to the track that is less gravel road, I have never gone that way but supposedly it is the better way to go if you wana keep a car clean.

93SVTCobra

Established Member
Tom,

Give me a call today and we can discuss some options for next year as I already have track days at 3 tracks for 04 and there is most probably something we can do at one of them.

P.S. Barber is going to cost over $10k per day if I'm not mistaken so I would DEFINITELY make sure you have a lot of support!!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread