School me on the nikon d3300.

SOVACobra03

I have an addiction......
Established Member
So my ever so sweet wife just got me a nikon d3300 starter kit. Came with 2 lenses , memory card, wireless adapter and such. Never had a nicer camera then what my cell phone had. Any tips and tricks to the very nice pics yall post on here?

Blk91stang

Established Member
Premium Member
Congrats on the camera (and wonderful wife)! I picked up a 5100 a couple years ago and honestly you are going to get some really nice pictures just using the Auto mode. I feel like trying to mess with manual settings without good guidance (hopefully you will get here), you will be amazed with what the camera can do all by itself. That wasn't much help but just wanted to let you know don't fear Auto!

SOVACobra03

I have an addiction......
Established Member
Congrats on the camera (and wonderful wife)! I picked up a 5100 a couple years ago and honestly you are going to get some really nice pictures just using the Auto mode. I feel like trying to mess with manual settings without good guidance (hopefully you will get here), you will be amazed with what the camera can do all by itself. That wasn't much help but just wanted to let you know don't fear Auto!
Thanks! I've heard good things about the auto settings so I figured that's where I'd start

fulanititoo8198

Established Member
Just practice read about the different settings and their effect. Put it on manual change all the setting around until you see what they do and how to make a better image with them. Auto does do a good job MOST of the time, but not all the time.

Drive XR7

NE Ohio's Fastest
Established Member
I have the same camera/kit. I use the kit lens most of the time except for certain shots. Watch some youtube videos to help you get a better sense of how to use it. I tend to switch between the "child" auto mode and the Aperture priority mode, where I adjust the exposure (ISO) and aperture myself for indoor shots or cool shots outside that make for a cool depth-of-field.

You'll need to do some reading to understand everything that the camera can do and some recommended settings.

Drive XR7

NE Ohio's Fastest
Established Member
I love that this camera can take shots very quickly. I tend to take 10-20 shots of each thing I'm trying to shoot so I can go back and pick the best one later. The hardest part is trying to find the best one later. It's something tough to pick just one.

Users who are viewing this thread