School me on pulleys

SS KILLR

Established Member
I have the stock pulley now. What's everyone using for there Eaton for smaller pulley setups? Pics would be great and where to buy.

CtSvt

Established Member
From what I gathered from my search ,billet flow 2.93 or 2.76 upper and there snub idler kit. If you could swing the cash get all 4 billet flow idlers, don't forget you need a tune also , I'm also in the same boat as you looking for the right parts combo so if anyone can correct me feel free , I'm a newb , I also can't decide between the 2.76 or the 2.93 ....

MysticRob

Established Member
LMFAO! Best vid I've watched in months. Academy Award-worthy and likely to out-earn Iron Man 3. :beer:

OP, you don't need pics, but there are plenty of people in the world running just a 2.81 without snub idler or anything else, and just a shorter belt. I suggest you go here and read up on all the goodies.

Terminator FAQs

Belt Guide

Last edited:

SVTerror

New Guy on the Block
Established Member
From what I gathered from my search ,billet flow 2.93 or 2.76 upper and there snub idler kit. If you could swing the cash get all 4 billet flow idlers, don't forget you need a tune also , I'm also in the same boat as you looking for the right parts combo so if anyone can correct me feel free , I'm a newb , I also can't decide between the 2.76 or the 2.93 ....

I'm in the same boat right now. I have the stock pulley and wanting to upgrade. I'm also debating the 2.76 or the 2.93. While searching I keep running into people saying 2.93 is a good pulley to have if you are planning on changing the lower pulley and planning on getting a port. If you are only wanting to upgrage the upper pulley, go with the 2.76. But then again, I read that the 2.76 experience belt slip along (that's why upgrade the idler kit, stock are junk run the risk of exploding) with the possible extra cost of BAP and MAF upgrade, but each car is different. I'm just trying to figure out how much the worst case scenario would cost (buying supporting mods) with a dyno tune lol.

MysticRob

Established Member
I'm in the same boat right now. I have the stock pulley and wanting to upgrade. I'm also debating the 2.76 or the 2.93. While searching I keep running into people saying 2.93 is a good pulley to have if you are planning on changing the lower pulley and planning on getting a port. If you are only wanting to upgrage the upper pulley, go with the 2.76. But then again, I read that the 2.76 experience belt slip along (that's why upgrade the idler kit, stock are junk run the risk of exploding) with the possible extra cost of BAP and MAF upgrade, but each car is different. I'm just trying to figure out how much the worst case scenario would cost (buying supporting mods) with a dyno tune lol.

Slight Hijacking: Where in NorCal are you? I researched too, and am close to swapping the stock pulley for the steel Steeda 2.81 I bought with just a smaller Gates Micro-V belt and no snub idler (or any other idler for that matter). I've been told time and again it won't produce slip and it's rare to grenade an idler, so if you want to compare notes or see what happens when I do mine let me know. Beers and carcass if we're close enough for a get-together. :beer:

KLLR SNK

Established Member
First question I always ask myself, what am I going to use the car for after I make the change. I like to optimize my power at the most reasonable cost. I like the 2.93 because it provides the highest rate of change incrementally in boost from the stock pulley. Depending on the car, a good dyno tune can make the power difference between a 2.93 and 2.76. The 2.93 is also a good foundation to build on later with a SC port and lower pulley, the typical next step in building power. One thing people forget is the belt is crank driven, meaning the only increase in rotation will be the smaller SC pulley, none of the stock pulleys increase in speed so changing to a 4 pulley set, to me, is wasted money without a crank pulley change. I'm not saying because I used a 2.93 it is the best choice but it is the right choice for my intended use.

Users who are viewing this thread