School Me On Powerstroke Excursions

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
I have a relative with a diesel Excursion 4wd that they never really drive any more. was thinking about floating the idea of letting me know when they decide to sell it and getting it if the price is right. I don’t know much about the specifics on it.

I do know it is the green with tan two tone.
It is on a rebuilt trans.
I believe it is a Limited.
I believe it is the 7.3 PS.
It would definitely need some TLC.

I want to buy an open trailer for the cars and was thinking of one of the ones with the rock guard that has storage.

Now I can tow that with my 15 F150 3.5EB but got to thinking this weekend of floating the idea of me buying the Excursion to have as a tow rig. I know the tow rating won’t be any better but is the Excursion a better platform? I know very little about them other than being on the F250 frame.

Mavericks and Ridgelines are for guys that have joint FB accounts and tailgate before Curling matches.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Heck of a buy if the money is right.

I'd prefer one of the newer ones though ;) Only reason I'm sharing is because my wife already said no.

Link

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
I would check the outter rockers for rust issues. That seems to be the sign of problems. Then oil leaks from turbo or pan. Good units though.

Crimson2v

Established Member
Premium Member
Check the cooling system, the injector cups tend to get corroded allowing fuel into the cooling system. Also if you buy it keep a can position sensor and a 10mm handy.

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
Wife sold hers for 13k for a perceived Bronco purchase. It was a bulletproof 6.0
20200910_175412.jpeg

Sent from my SM-S506DL using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Deceptive

Established Member
Premium Member
If it has a 7.3 buy it. That is a bullet proof engine. There are things you can do to get decent power out of it compared to the newer stuff.

This is what kind of got my mind going this weekend. It is pre-emissions/EGR/DPF crap. It needs a great bit of TLC just from a cosmetic standpoint. I don’t know how it is mechanically but I know it runs. I would like to put the bug in their ear next time I see them that I want it. I know they won’t be using it anymore but probably won’t admit it and sell it just yet.

I know it isn’t rated any higher than my F150 but I imagine since it is F250 based and, I am almost positive the 7.3, diesel that it would probably be a tad better platform. Also, it could be another way to keep the wear off the F150. My wife loves the F150 and has really laid claim to it.

Mavericks and Ridgelines are for guys that have joint FB accounts and tailgate before Curling matches.

Last edited:

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
The tow rating may be the same or similar but the 7-3 will do it no problem, like a light jog. That half ton truck will be sprinting and spooling the whole time. The ex will probably stop better than the 1/2T truck as well. I had an 01 250 and ran it up to 250k miles and didn’t have a single issue with the engine, it never once stranded me. I did go through a few transmissions and ended up with a BTS unit. Drove it from CA to AR with no 3rd gear. The 7-3 isn’t the fastest diesel out there but slow and steady wins the race. They can be woken up and they will definitely get out of there own way. My bullet proofed 600horse 6.0 will run circles around it but also has way more mods. I wish I had the BTS trans in my current rig. Called them and they’re waiting on parts with no eta in sight for new transmission builds. The 7-3 is a great engine and makes all sorts of cool turbo noises once opened up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
Hard to go wrong with a 7.3. They just run and run. If you’re tugging around a car it will do it no problem, we yank 12k+ And it does fine. Not super long distances though.

IMO Excursions are cool as hell. I’d definitely check the ball joints, seems like they can eat them up.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
I’d take a bullet proofed 6.0 10-10 times over any 7.3.

The 7.3 was a dog and is not as immune to problems as people think. The long block is stout, but the fuel controllers, oil pressure systems (high and low), injectors, etc can all be problematic with age.

At least with the 6.0, once proofed —you’ll get massive power with bolt ons and a tune.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member

The 7.3 was a dog and is not as immune to problems as people think. The long block is stout, but the fuel controllers, oil pressure systems (high and low), injectors, etc can all be problematic with age.

At least with the 6.0, once proofed —you’ll get massive power with bolt ons and a tune.

I missed my 7-3 until I drove the 6.0. Now bullet proofed it’s not even a comparison. My 7-3 was what MAYBE 300hp with all the bolt ons?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member

Just have someone else bullet proof it.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Injector cups are known to crack on occasion. IPR valve and IPS sensor and the infamous Cam position sensor.

Difference between these issues on a 7.3 and a 6.0 is that everything on a 7.3 can be done by a relatively technically competent individual. Not to mention that youre spending tens of thousands of dollars to bullet proof everyone one of the the issues that will go wrong on a 6.0.

I wont disagree that a 6.0 makes more power but the problems that need attention and the money pit they can turn into arent worth it in my opinion.

Sides, my dog 7.3L Powerstroke does just fine for me.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Injector cups are known to crack on occasion. IPR valve and IPS sensor and the infamous Cam position sensor.

Difference between these issues on a 7.3 and a 6.0 is that everything on a 7.3 can be done by a relatively technically competent individual. Not to mention that youre spending tens of thousands of dollars to bullet proof everyone one of the the issues that will go wrong on a 6.0.

I wont disagree that a 6.0 makes more power but the problems that need attention and the money pit they can turn into arent worth it in my opinion.

Sides, my dog 7.3L Powerstroke does just fine for me.

They both run on complex systems requiring high oil pressure for injector operation along with computers and sensors to run it all. Even the early power strokes were fairly complex by comparison to the GM or Dodge at the time (late 90's).

I agree with @Adower above... 7.3 for resale value--that's the only reason I'd buy one. They definitely have cult-like following creating value on the used market.

If I were buying a long term personal truck, I'd buy a cheaper 6.0 (because everyone thinks they suck)--build it and enjoy. They run HARD once built.

Don't forget the transmissions... 6r80 and 100's are some of the strongest manufacturer trans's every produced.

Last edited:

Deceptive

Established Member
Premium Member
They both run on complex systems requiring high oil pressure for injector operation along with computers and sensors to run it all. Even the early power strokes were fairly complex by comparison to the GM or Dodge at the time (late 90's).

I agree with @Adower above... 7.3 for resale value--that's the only reason I'd buy one. They definitely have cult-like following creating value on the used market.

If I were buying a long term personal truck, I'd buy a cheaper 6.0 (because everyone thinks they suck)--build it and enjoy. They run HARD once built.

Don't forget the transmissions... 6r80 and 100's are some of the strongest manufacturer trans's every produced.

Essentially I am trying to decide between maybe a F250 7.3 gasser once we move or seeing about the Excursion. I could probably get the Excursion cheap.

I don’t need a ton of power, I don’t care about racing a diesel or Super Duty. I don’t care about towing a hay ride full of KingBlack’s sexual conquests.

Something comfy to pull about 5.5-6k pounds worth of car and trailer to a track every few weekends. Something to keep from mods to the F150 that may take some of the comfiness away.

Sure, I would do some mods to make it better but nothing too crazy. I don’t need to make 700hp and 1000lb/ft.

Blown38

Established Member
I have 292k on my 2005 6.0 Excursion. She needs some love but has never let me down. Run around on the race tune 90% of the time.

Not much schooling I can do for you since mine is newer. Need to fix the rusting rocker before it gets too bad. I would tow the enclosed trailer with race car at about 10k pounds. The excursions are sprung soft I hear so they tent to sway a little with alot of weight. I put some KYB shocks on recently and that seemed to stiffin it up alot. I also ran more pressure in the tires.

Only other real problem I've had chassis wise is the compass/fuel mileage module going out.

I just did the right side ball joints need to do the driver side, and I've also done the hub assemblies once.

Dave.O

Established Member
I have an 01 4wd 7.3
Can’t beat the comfort factor, I’ll keep it just for that
As others have stated it’s a dog stock but will pull a house without breaking a sweat
Upgrade the break pads to a better compound
Beware the engine harness on these, they are notorious for shorts. Fixed 3 in last two years

Users who are viewing this thread