School me on MT82 transmissions

4barrel

Established Member
I'm just out of the Fox game and have not followed any other form of car much at all. I hear the MT82 transmissions are not good. Educate me on them. What is the problem and can it be addressed? If so, what is the best solution?

oldbones

The blue bowtie
Established Member
That transmission is generally ok; it's the PP that is garbage. Change the slave cyl line, Dot4 fluid, throw a MGW race spec on the car and a rxt Mcleod RST clutch and you will have a much improved mt82 experience. I recommend these mods if you plan on racing the car and before you do so. Otherwise you risk destroying the MT82's syncros, especial if you shift above 7000 rpms.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
^^^^yep pretty much... I would add that taking the additional step of upgrading the detent pin|shift stop and fork pads|shift dogs would make the MT82 pretty damn good. While its out for the clutch would be the best time time do so.

Bluegoat06

Cam Only LS2 Powered
Established Member
Mine is behaving great, my issue is the clutch, I have 54K miles in the car, and I can't shift above 6500rpm more than twice, or the clutch will start sticking to the floor, so as long as I keep the shifts in the 6200-6300rpm area, the clutch is fine. I'll replace the clutch later on once I get some basic suspension work done. Other than that, I have no complaints with the trans so far, still on the stock shifter, the gearing in the trans is great, mated with the 3.73's, it makes for a fun car anywhere you want to toss it around in a spirited way.

Edited: Also wanted to add, I replaced the factory clutch fluid with DOT4, made a big difference right away. I bought the car used with 30k + miles, so I don't know what kind of abuse the car saw at the time, but just the change in fluid alone, changed the shift feeling right away during cold morning drives, the trans is still a bit notchy on cold mornings, just take it easy on the 1-2 shift upon a cold start and immediate drive, all my stick shifts cars always did the same thing while cold, so I'm not expecting the same smoothness in the trans when the fluid is cold, as to when the trans fluid is at regular operating temp.

Last edited:

FocusSTGuy

Established Member
So concensus.....replace the stock clutch with a McLeod RST twin disk + aluminum flywheel asap, then slap an MGW race spec on and call it a day?

GT915

Established Member
Personally I wouldn't spend the money for a twin disk or an aluminum flywheel. I have the same issue mentioned earlier and I'm gonna use an exedy clutch with a new oem flywheel, slave, tob, and clutch line. Mine has 34k on it and used to shift like a champ but now the clutch gets soft and will stick after more than one or two pulls past 6500. Trans still shifts great so I won't beat on it till it gets a new clutch. I'd love to have a race spec mgw but it's more than I wanna spend so I'm gonna throw a blowfish bracket on it and call it good. It really sucks to have buy all this shit just to make the car do what it should be able to do in the first place.

Troponin

Established Member
The concerns seem to be around guys that are driving their cars very hard with decent mods. If you plan on big hp, you might rethink the MT82 route, but if going for stock hp, then just upgrade what was mentioned above and you're good.

GT915

Established Member
There are guys running 600hp and still running the mt82 and I hope to be one of them. You are right though, if you wanna make really big numbers or if drag racing is your main conern, an auto is probably your best option. That won't work for me though as my car is what I drive most days and I can't bare the thought of not rowing my own. If I did have to go to the trouble and expense of replacing the trans, I'd go with the magnum xl. Lotta folks disagree but that's just me.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
There are guys running 600hp and still running the mt82 and I hope to be one of them. You are right though, if you wanna make really big numbers or if drag racing is your main conern, an auto is probably your best option. That won't work for me though as my car is what I drive most days and I can't bare the thought of not rowing my own. If I did have to go to the trouble and expense of replacing the trans, I'd go with the magnum xl. Lotta folks disagree but that's just me.

This is the way I feel. I know its matter of opinion and personnel preference, but why bother with a car like this in automatic. Obviously a dedicated track car is one thing, but a car that will spend most of its life as a DD, no thanks.

Sizeth3

Established Member
This is the way I feel. I know its matter of opinion and personnel preference, but why bother with a car like this in automatic. Obviously a dedicated track car is one thing, but a car that will spend most of its life as a DD, no thanks.

As someone who had a similar line of thinking, yet wound up buying an A6 car after researching:

1.) The 6R80E is bullet proof
2.) The MT82 breaks, even at stock power levels
3.) The Coyote engine has the potential to make stupid power, with very few mods

fulanititoo8198

Established Member
STICK FTW!! Too much auto action going on around here makes me sick. Anyways, my Mt82 took one hell of a beating over 100 easily (probably closer to 200) drag passes on forbidden "drag radials" and street tires. Finally at 26k my 3rd gear went out ( still shifts but crunchier than KFC) , but I believe it would have lasted longer had I changed to clutch from the beginning. I should have done that instead of all the huge BS mods that are pushed around here that don't do anything for a shitty pressure plate. Shifting all those times from 2nd to 3rd with almost no clutch, I'm sure is what did it. Car is making over 600 for the past 6 - 7k and I don't baby the gears. Pretty stout in my eyes.

If we could only swap in the V160 we would be in business.

& to feed the flame I am a lot more proud of my 10 sec stick car than I would be of a 10 sec auto :burn:

Last edited:

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
11229821_10200696394529693_2819458617926506423_n.jpg

Troponin

Established Member
In a perfect situation, I would be all about a T56 or 6060. They tend to be expensive though, but I would suggest you keep your eye out for one that may need to be rebuilt or has already been rebuilt to save some money

wakebum2507

EVLTWNS
Established Member
i have a T56 mag Xl, and i love it.

that being said, i still managed to **** mine up pretty bad. but runway racing will do that.

ate the 4th gear synchro, 3rd gear synchro, input shaft, and a few other things.

took it out, had it built, drives and shifts like a champ now, even when I turn it up for roll racing.

4 digit power will take a toll on anything. keep that in mind.

Users who are viewing this thread