School Me on Mid-Range Used Trucks

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Looking to get rid of my 07 F150 Lariat, bought it used cheap and gave me 5 years and 65K of no problem miles. Good buy in my book. Has 140 now, in the last 3-4 months problems popping up everywhere. Not looking to dump money into a vehicle rapidly deprecating so looking to move on.

Looking for a comfortable daily with options. I drive like 20 miles a day on the regular minus vacations and stuff so millage doesn't matter (hence 07 F150). Used to snow here at some point and move medium sized shit now and then so I like to have a truck in addition to my toys. Pretty mechanically handy (anything minus internal engine or internal transmission, but tune my own shit etc).

Anyway looking at a ~15 3.5 Lariat as a cruiser looking for some feedback from you honest folk who have probably owned a few. Seem nice on the inside and make some nice power with a tune while gas is cheap now. Run 93 till it picks up in price and E85 is readily available too. BUT looking to find out huge pitfalls I'm missing.

Price range ~30Kish give or take, not too fixed in price but not looking too go crazy. Not something I have passion for just looking for a nice everyday. Looking at this:
1FTEW1EG3FFC18097 | 2015 Ford F-150 Lariat for sale in Southold, NY
Local to me and I know the community so I think it's not beat. I'm car tech savy buy shit at buying cars. Feedback?

I'd appreciate some insight from some of you guys who do the truck thing more often. Honestly just a luxury to have, not off-roading, I'm looking for leather and comfort and being able to toss some bricks or engines in the back. No serious towing, etc.

That one fits the bill perfectly but wondering if there are any inherent mech problems with these. Plus that's been there for awhile so a little nervous.

Last edited:

SHOdown220

Established Member
When I worked for ford (I didnt stay long I hated it) those 15-17 trucks seemed to have issues with the transmission auxiliary pump, wiper stalks, and for god sakes leave the sunroof closed. The tracks will break and they are stupid expensive to replace.

Those are the most common issues that I remember but that's been a few years back.

velocicaur

Established Member
Nice looking rig. I'm interested in any reports on this.

I've been looking at similar trucks to replace my GMC - same color and everything. I'm trying to find one with fewer miles because I'm worried about maintenance on a higher mileage 3.5 whether that is a warranted fear or not. I want to get out of it before any turbo/fuel issues start popping up. I feel safer paying a small premium for one with 45k miles and dropping it off at 120k rather than 140k.

I'm in Michigan and I'm searching for trucks down south - TN, GA, etc. 5 years of salt isn't too bad especially if you are getting rid of it in 5 years but still. Does that not concern you in NY?

Good luck!

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
When I worked for ford (I didnt stay long I hated it) those 15-17 trucks seemed to have issues with the transmission auxiliary pump, wiper stalks, and for god sakes leave the sunroof closed. The tracks will break and they are stupid expensive to replace.

Those are the most common issues that I remember but that's been a few years back.

Thank you sir! Exactly what I'm looking for. 10 out of 10! I will definitely take that into consideration.

Nice looking rig. I'm interested in any reports on this.

I've been looking at similar trucks to replace my GMC - same color and everything. I'm trying to find one with fewer miles because I'm worried about maintenance on a higher mileage 3.5 whether that is a warranted fear or not. I want to get out of it before any turbo/fuel issues start popping up. I feel safer paying a small premium for one with 45k miles and dropping it off at 120k rather than 140k.

I'm in Michigan and I'm searching for trucks down south - TN, GA, etc. 5 years of salt isn't too bad especially if you are getting rid of it in 5 years but still. Does that not concern you in NY?

Good luck!

Yeah, I feel 60K is the tipping point, don't know enough about the new platforms to make an informed decision. Older even 3V will chug along 125-175k suck the whole time but it will do it Not sure the newer platforms will do that? Salt does suck up here current truck is hurting, but 13 years old. Judging by the location I'm guessing it's been in a garage all winter while the owner is in a better place. Plus there hasn't been salt here in like 3 years due to crazy warm winters. Long as they weren't launching their boat like a moron should be okay. Only planning on 3-5 years ownership unless I get attached to it. See it to confirm honestly, just getting a read on things I can't see. Wasn't so knowledgeable before but salt damage isn't hard to catch. Really I'm just curious about if the dingle arm breaks at 80k and takes out the turboembabulator. (some stupid Ford bullshit like the transmission aux pump mentioned above, something I can't see. But is $$$)

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR THE FEEDBACK SO FAR, A LOT TO THINK ABOUT.
You ugly mugs are the best!

Last edited:

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
I had a '16 XLT 3.5 and now a '19 Platinum 3.5. I only issues I had were the e-hubs on the '16. There isn't a significant difference in gas mileage between the 6spd & 10spd but there is in performance.
If you're just doing pick up truck stuff Do Not pass up a 2.7. My son has a '17 STX with the 2.7 and it feels snappier and is just fast as the 3.5 but gets a lot better mpg's. The 2.7 still tows 7k lbs. Get the SYNC 3 as it has Android auto.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Yea the 2.7tt is a great engine, especially if your main goal is a dd and you won't be throwing big tires on it.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Yea the 2.7tt is a great engine, especially if your main goal is a dd and you won't be throwing big tires on it.

Have to look into that more and the year available. Is that an option in the trim trim level I'm looking for? Used, so see what my options are. No big tires/diameter changes, just good tires more or less stock size. It is a free for all around here though and aggressive driving is key in traffic. Nothing will be slower than my my 4r7* I got now so there is that. Just don't want to be let down on the power. Passed by Hybrids going cannonball to the "HVO/Green" lane

Edit: only have done very minor researh, just getting that feeling there are a lot more problems coming my way. Trying to string along a 13 year old 140k truck vs trade in whiles it still has some value.

Last edited:

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Have to look into that more and the year available. Is that an option in the trim trim level I'm looking for? Used, so see what my options are. No big tires/diameter changes, just good tires more or less stock size. It is a free for all around here though and aggressive driving is key in traffic. Nothing will be slower than my my 4r7* I got now so there is that. Just don't want to be let down on the power. Passed by Hybrids going cannonball to the "HVO/Green" lane

Edit: only have done very minor researh, just getting that feeling there are a lot more problems coming my way. Trying to string along a 13 year old 140k truck vs trade in whiles it still has some value.

Yeah its available on the lariat trim. For city driving+ sport mode it really moves out. Wil easily clear 20mpg on highway too.

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
I'm in the same boat...

Picked up my 06' about five and a half years ago with 75K and it just turned 146K. I'm looking to dump it as I feel it is at the tipping point of being almost worthless money wise in the next few years, and we could use the room of a CC as my daughter is getting older. My FIL has a 15' CC Lariat 4X4 with the 2.7 that I will probably take off his hands at trade in value in the next year or so.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member

Looked into this a little. These things are stop/stop engines?! Thought that was a Jeep thing. Looks like 17 and newer. Anyone have info on this?

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator

I have a 18 in that trim level with the 2.7. Great damn engine
Looked into this a little. These things are stop/stop engines?! Thought that was a Jeep thing. Looks like 17 and newer. Anyone have info on this?
Yeah, but you just push a button the dash to disable it. I don't mind it in the winter, but summer here..I push it as soon as I start it.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
I have a 18 in that trim level with the 2.7. Great damn engine

Yeah, but you just push a button the dash to disable it. I don't mind it in the winter, but summer here..I push it as soon as I start it.

Thanks bud, so are you guys really suggesting the 2.7 over the 3.5? Kind of thought they're the same just more displacement but getting a vibe here...

steve-099xlt

Established Member
My dad hasn't had any problems with his 2.7 either. His is an 18 with the 10 speed. Think 15k miles so far and he loves it, although he wasnt a big fan of the 10 speed at first. I have a 19 with the 5.0, but only 1400 miles so far. My 13 limited had the 3.5 and it was a beast. Traded it away after getting divorced at around 45k without any problems with it.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
My dad hasn't had any problems with his 2.7 either. His is an 18 with the 10 speed. Think 15k miles so far and he loves it, although he wasnt a big fan of the 10 speed at first. I have a 19 with the 5.0, but only 1400 miles so far. My 13 limited had the 3.5 and it was a beast. Traded it away after getting divorced at around 45k without any problems with it.

Hmmmmm, so now to decide between the 3.5 or 2.7 and if its worth going for the 10R vs the 6R looks like 2017 is the change over.

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
Hmmmmm, so now to decide between the 3.5 or 2.7 and if its worth going for the 10R vs the 6R looks like 2017 is the change over.
During my research when I was in the market the 10spd made the most difference in performance with the 2.7. Also heard some chatter about issues with the first year. I ended up with a 16 3.5 EB 6spd. Very happy with it. I don't think you can go wrong with either EB motor 2015 and up.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
During my research when I was in the market the 10spd made the most difference in performance with the 2.7. Also heard some chatter about issues with the first year. I ended up with a 16 3.5 EB 6spd. Very happy with it. I don't think you can go wrong with either EB motor 2015 and up.

Sounds good, interested in the one I posted might take the hour drive out there later. I dug into it though and a red flag popped up. It's been on their lot for a year, not sure how that even happens. I thought they push them off to auction at that point maybe @13COBRA might have some insight on how that kind of stuff works. Having a car on the lot for over a year seems concerning and not financially great for them.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Sounds good, interested in the one I posted might take the hour drive out there later. I dug into it though and a red flag popped up. It's been on their lot for a year, not sure how that even happens. I thought they push them off to auction at that point maybe @13COBRA might have some insight on how that kind of stuff works.
It just depends.

I dont sell anything at auction, no reason to pay the fees. I would verify the miles on the odometer compared to the miles on the website. I'd venture to guess someone drove it for a bit.

Sent from my potato using Tapatalk

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
It just depends.

I dont sell anything at auction, no reason to pay the fees. I would verify the miles on the odometer compared to the miles on the website. I'd venture to guess someone drove it for a bit.

Sent from my potato using Tapatalk

Will do, on the Carfax it has services listed over the last year and about 4 miles. Will defiantly compare. Probably go check it out after work and give it a drive. Curious to feel the 3.5 vs what I have now anyway.
Carfax link below, anything seem like a giant flag to you?
https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory/p/Report.cfx?partner=CUL_1&vin=1FTEW1EG3FFC18097&compCode=LuwI1qrL4coS0M8YdWr9zUSNOaRc/pR4
I find it interesting it sat for awhile before it was offered as "Cert Pre-owned"

Users who are viewing this thread