school me on heater hose quick disconnect fittings

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
any tips or tricks? quick disconnect, my arse! :nonono:

i have both white tabs pushed in as far as i can with my fingers, while twisting/pulling/pushing on them at the same time. will not budge :shrug:

cobra011.jpg

and since the tubes look mighty fragile, i don't want to put too much stress on them :uh oh:

heatercore.jpg

thanks for any feedback :beer:

Last edited:

SVTkel

SVTKel
Established Member
Ah yes, the old heater core hoses. I recall them to be a real bitch to remove.

Seems to me I could not push the tabs in far enought by hand / fingers to remove the hoses. So I used soem other tool to assist (i.e. screwdriver or somethign like it). This was over a year ago, so I can't recall 100%.

FlaSeaDude

Building a Perfect Beast
Established Member
Try using a small screwdriver on the white tabs while slightly wiggling the hoses. That always works for me...:beer:

racebronco2

Established Member
Did you try using the quick disconnect fitting. You need to get the deep ones because the shallow ones don't work. They barely fit into the tight space. That's the only way i have used to remove them.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
giving up =(

nope... this kicked my ass bigtime!! neither would budge. i even rented the tool

i guess next year when i want to reverse flush the heater core, i will be using a dremel tool to cut these things off, and installing two 90* elbow fittings and worm clamps lol

i look at it like it isn't worth breaking one of the tubes just to do some preventive maintenance :read:

mitrls10

"Torqued Motorsports"
Established Member
just about every quick connect fitting on a ford is a pita whether its a/c, heater, or fuel line, sometimes I spray some kinda lube or rust penetrant on em cause the metal inside the older lines or the orings on your type of hose kinda freezes it self to the hose. Also what most folks dont realize is that when the hose are snapped onto the clips it has a back edge that locks up against the inside of the other hose and even if you press the clips in and go to pulling it wont come off. You have to push the heater hose and heater core outlet toward each other firmly while depressing the clips and then it will pop right off.. Its really hard to do with the little bit of core sticking out on mustangs, thats how you do it on any car or you can either just push the heater hose toward the firewall without holding the heater core end just try not to push to hard u bend or crack the heater hose outlet or crack the plastic case it sits in...

Quicktime_GT

Established Member
Any tips on getting the hose clamp off on the piping that the heater hose goes into? ( the hose on the farthest to the passenger side, goes into a black piping / fitting in the back of the passenger cylinder head)

Users who are viewing this thread