School me on Battery Tenders

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Guys,
Looking for a little input.
Since starting school again, my 03 Cobra has not been driven much. The car sits under a covered parking lot for days at a time. Lately I'm having issues as the battery keeps dying. The battery and alt are pretty new so I'm thinking to stay proactive, I should get a battery tender.
I'm concerned as I don't have a nearby power outlet to power the battery tender for the car.
What are my options as I did some research to no avail?

Thanks for your time.:rockon:

88 347 stroker

Established Member
I had a similar problem. I put on a cut off switch for the battery. But I have seen people hook up a solar powered trickle charger. You tube "Stacey David quick tips battery" he talks a little bit about it. I bought one similar for my car but haven't used it yet. I also picked up a battery monitor to go with the solar charger that prevents over charging.

LS2GTO

Established Member
Deltran battery tender IMO are the best and fairly cheap.

If he doesn't have a power outlet near then how is that going to help?

OP, if that's indeed the case then your best bet would be to unhook the battery.

Coiled03

Established Member
Whey does OP want to know about battery tenders if he doesn't have a power outlet to plug it in? I've never heard of a battery operated battery tender.

If you can't find some way to get power to a unit, then uplug it. If you can get over that oh-so-huge obstacle, then I'd recommend the Griot's Garage battery tender.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Battery%20Disconnect%20Switch.jpg

Or if you can you could mount a solar panel and then run it to the car depending on how far you are from being uncovered.

mnewxcv

Established Member
get ur battery and alt tested for free at an auto parts store. if they check out, get a multimeter and find whats killing your battery.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Since you'd have to pop the hood to unhook a battery tender anyways, why not get a jump pack and keep it around? Would be more useful, and just as effective.

If you let it get halfway charged every week or so, the battery life shouldnt be affected too much.

oldmodman

Established Member
I have a few Batter Tenders and they have kept all my batteries in good condition for years. I have them on my cars, motorcycles, generator, and quad. They double (or better) my battery life.

Best place to find them is on E-bay. I found an auction for a case of six of them and got them for $23.00 each.

Like this, but a whole lot cheaper.

12 VOLT DELTRAN BATTERY TENDER PLUS NEW CASE OF 6 Pcs. 210128 | eBay

MARK C

Established Member
I have a few Batter Tenders and they have kept all my batteries in good condition for years. I have them on my cars, motorcycles, generator, and quad. They double (or better) my battery life.

Best place to find them is on E-bay. I found an auction for a case of six of them and got them for $23.00 each.

Like this, but a whole lot cheaper.

12 VOLT DELTRAN BATTERY TENDER PLUS NEW CASE OF 6 Pcs. 210128 | eBay

I agree with this ^. To the op how about a ext cord to plug in your bat tender.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
All great ideas guys...I appreciate the input.
I thought about running an extension cord out to the car, but it would have to be a real long one and I'm sure my landlord wouldn't be happy with that. Hmm...gotta make up my mind! For now, I guess I'll just unhook the battery for the time being...

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Id figure whats sucking your batt dry in a few days of sitting first.

I let my GST sit for 2-3 weeks at a time now between drives and the batt stays charged the entire time, turns over no issue whatsoever.

mellor_21

Established Member
Id figure whats sucking your batt dry in a few days of sitting first.

This.
Don't bandaid it, just fix it. And clean your terminals, mine have caused a similar issue a few times.
As others have said, though, a tender might not be a bad idea for the long term. Replacement batteries cost more than one so if it doubles just one's life then it has paid for itself, right?
Your landlord would really car about an ext cord? Sounds like a dick
Go to a Napa and have them test the battery and alternator, if they're that new then get a good one while you can.
Just my .02, good luck!

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
Letting the car sit for most the time and periodically driving it is not enough time to charge the battery back to full.

So, the first thing you need to do is use a REAL battery charger and charge the battery completely. I would personally add the quick disconnect switch.. I killed two of my $300 odysseys buy letting them go dead from sittiing, even though they are deep cycles, it still hurts them.

If you can't run an extension cord to your car, a tender is obviously out of the question anyway..

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Letting the car sit for most the time and periodically driving it is not enough time to charge the battery back to full.

So, the first thing you need to do is use a REAL battery charger and charge the battery completely. I would personally add the quick disconnect switch.. I killed two of my $300 odysseys buy letting them go dead from sittiing, even though they are deep cycles, it still hurts them.

If you can't run an extension cord to your car, a tender is obviously out of the question anyway..

I agree...the car has never given me issues but since the inactivity of the car over the last 4 months, I've had issues. I just bought a quick disconnect thing, didn't know they even existed like that, lol. The draw is prob the stock amps through my research...
And I'm gonna recharge the battery up to see if that helps.
Does the quick disconnect go on the positive or negative terminal.
I'd imagine Negative?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread