SCCA Track Night in America - Your Intro to HPDE

sdoo500

Established Member
This is perfect, thank you for the post.

I am looking to get into HPDE with my track pack 13'. Old man just bought a boss as well so we'll be doing them together. Hopefully see some SVTP guys at one of the New England Dates.

csvt98

Road Course Ringer
Established Member
I may hit CMS once and VIR with another C6Z buddy. I just care to putt around lol. CMP is 45 minutes from my house and I have been going since I was a kid and am tired of it haha. RA/VIR are my favorites and I cannot wait to try CMS. I just sold my Spec Iron car so I am not going to do a ton of tracking any more.

NavyTrev

Who's that?
Established Member
Track with Porsche Club it’s much cheaper and more track time. Get your experience with them (PCA) then go over to SCCA/NASA if you want to get into time trials or road racing. Porsche Club is not a for profit organization.

351stang

Beast ZL1
Established Member
I may hit CMS once and VIR with another C6Z buddy. I just care to putt around lol. CMP is 45 minutes from my house and I have been going since I was a kid and am tired of it haha. RA/VIR are my favorites and I cannot wait to try CMS. I just sold my Spec Iron car so I am not going to do a ton of tracking any more.

CMP is still "new" to me. I know that I have 2-3 seconds left out there to find.

Charlotte Motor Speedway is a blast. I e-mailed SCCA tonight to see if it is going to be the newer NASCAR Roval configuration with the 2 chicanes or the older flat out Roval. I'm hoping for the older config.

csvt98

Road Course Ringer
Established Member
CMP is still "new" to me. I know that I have 2-3 seconds left out there to find.

Charlotte Motor Speedway is a blast. I e-mailed SCCA tonight to see if it is going to be the newer NASCAR Roval configuration with the 2 chicanes or the older flat out Roval. I'm hoping for the older config.
Most of the time, time is lost through the carousel and the kink. CMS either way for me would be cool. My buddy in the Yellow C6Z went last year and said if he kept in it he could of hit 160-170 going into NASCAR 3. I plan on not dying and having a good time.

351stang

Beast ZL1
Established Member
Most of the time, time is lost through the carousel and the kink. CMS either way for me would be cool. My buddy in the Yellow C6Z went last year and said if he kept in it he could of hit 160-170 going into NASCAR 3. I plan on not dying and having a good time.

I definitely am cutting the carousel too tight. I’m hoping to correct it tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

csvt98

Road Course Ringer
Established Member
Enter the carousel mid-track. Do not do what new people do and swing track left before T5. Also take T4 as straight as possible to setup for T5. After T5 float out almost to the exit gators, at this point you should be able to hold the whell at the same angle throughout the corner. That and you should be following the newer looking strip of pavement. The apex of T7 (you do not apex T6 as you should be track left) is the end of the poles on the inside of the track. Your car will also tell you what it likes through that corner. Once you learn the carousel you can put car lengths on guys on the straight until T8. This advice may help or may not haha.

351stang

Beast ZL1
Established Member
Good advice. The line you describe is similar to what the "fast" people are running. I also need to brake deeper and up the kink mph +10. This is what makes it fun.

I know I have 3 seconds out there.

Enter the carousel mid-track. Do not do what new people do and swing track left before T5. Also take T4 as straight as possible to setup for T5. After T5 float out almost to the exit gators, at this point you should be able to hold the whell at the same angle throughout the corner. That and you should be following the newer looking strip of pavement. The apex of T7 (you do not apex T6 as you should be track left) is the end of the poles on the inside of the track. Your car will also tell you what it likes through that corner. Once you learn the carousel you can put car lengths on guys on the straight until T8. This advice may help or may not haha.

csvt98

Road Course Ringer
Established Member
Good advice. The line you describe is similar to what the "fast" people are running. I also need to brake deeper and up the kink mph +10. This is what makes it fun.

I know I have 3 seconds out there.
The kink is fun, hit the inside gators holding maintenance throttle and put the power down when the car settles.

SeikenFreak

2 Scoops
Established Member
Bit of a thread bump but yea, these events have been pretty good for me. More so at my previous job when I had the day off during the week. And my current boss can't be bothered to let me do a half day. Regardless, took a day off this week to go to an NJMP event. It's my local track and I've been to maybe 8 or so TNIA events by now? Nice and casual, just the way I like it. I've done NASA and SCCA events in the past with instruction but I'd rather be alone in the car. Just an anxiety thing. I don't really go out there to set a fast time or improve my driving necessarily, I just enjoy driving way harder than you can on the street and holding on for dear life as the g-forces toss my guts around and strain my neck. I'd describe my driving as if I were in an endurance race: I'm easy on the tires and brakes. I just try to be smooth and consistent. I'm already getting the adrenaline rush so I don't feel the need to push it and risk destroying my car.

I run in the Intermediate group and that's where I feel comfortable for now. Novice (which I did a few times, even though I was over qualified for it I guess from prior track events and comfortable on track) is basically if you've never been on track before. Expect some people to be going very slowly and not understand stuff like the racing line etc. Intermediate eliminates all the briefing and verbal instructional stuff so you have more time to relax. The speed on track can be a mixed bag. Some people are pretty quick and others are slower, staying in their comfort zone. Advanced, from an outsiders perspective, is where the crazies go. Often cars with aero and slicks, these people run hard and often chase lap times. I'd put them on that instructor-tier level of speed from some of the videos I've watched. Everyone knows on-track footage looks much slower on video.. You watch one of these dudes in a Miata and it manages to look fast.

If I had any complaints, it's that there isn't enough track time! I need MORE!

This was my first time taking my new-to-me GT350 out on track.

This was a little bit of a shakedown for an event at Pocono next month. Former co-worker invited me and I've never done any events outside of NJMP due to worrying about something happening and being stranded that far from home. I've been on Pocono as a passenger briefly (in a F360 Challenge no less) but that's it.

Last edited:

351stang

Beast ZL1
Established Member
Great post.

Bit of a thread bump but yea, these events have been pretty good for me. More so at my previous job when I had the day off during the week. And my current boss can't be bothered to let me do a half day. Regardless, took a day off this week to go to an NJMP event. It's my local track and I've been to maybe 8 or so TNIA events by now? Nice and casual, just the way I like it. I've done NASA and SCCA events in the past with instruction but I'd rather be alone in the car. Just an anxiety thing. I don't really go out there to set a fast time or improve my driving necessarily, I just enjoy driving way harder than you can on the street and holding on for dear life as the g-forces toss my guts around and strain my neck. I'd describe my driving as if I were in an endurance race: I'm easy on the tires and brakes. I just try to be smooth and consistent. I'm already getting the adrenaline rush so I don't feel the need to push it and risk destroying my car.

I run in the Intermediate group and that's where I feel comfortable for now. Novice (which I did a few times, even though I was over qualified for it I guess from prior track events and comfortable on track) is basically if you've never been on track before. Expect some people to be going very slowly and not understand stuff like the racing line etc. Intermediate eliminates all the briefing and verbal instructional stuff so you have more time to relax. The speed on track can be a mixed bag. Some people are pretty quick and others are slower, staying in their comfort zone. Advanced, from an outsiders perspective, is where the crazies go. Often cars with aero and slicks, these people run hard and often chase lap times. I'd put them on that instructor-tier level of speed from some of the videos I've watched. Everyone knows on-track footage looks much slower on video.. You watch one of these dudes in a Miata and it manages to look fast.

If I had any complaints, it's that there isn't enough track time! I need MORE!

This was my first time taking my new-to-me GT350 out on track.

This was a little bit of a shakedown for an event at Pocono next month. Former co-worker invited me and I've never done any events outside of NJMP due to worrying about something happening and being stranded that far from home. I've been on Pocono as a passenger briefly (in a F360 Challenge no less) but that's it.

Users who are viewing this thread