SCCA Dave Schotz 95R J302 Head Ruling Information?

JoeAsheville

Asheville NC-Bohemian Wonderland
Established Member
I admit the title is probably a bit cryptic, my apologies.

In 2003, Dave Schotz campaigned a 95R in the SCCA Nationals in ESP. He didn't have to extensively modify the car, it was very much a list of bolt-on parts that won him an ESP National title that year for ESP and ranked him #71 on the national PAX (very impressive). I'm preparing #181 to the 03 Schotz specifications, and one item in particular are the Y302 heads the car used. I think there was some consternation among his competitors about them until the SCCA board ruled they were legal. They are identical to iron heads except they are aluminum - there's a weight savings there, but no performance advantage otherwise. Hence, the SCCA board ruling they were legal. I think he mentioned something about a TSB regarding the heads.

I'm anticipating a certain individual to protest the car once I begin driving it in Atlanta area events in ESP. I'd like to have the board ruling (or the TSB) for the heads in hand to present to the event stewards should a protest be lodged. I've tried to find the ruling online, but I can't seem to find it. It might be in a past issue of Fastrack, but the online archives don't go back to 2003. If anyone could assist in finding this valuable tidbit of information, I would be most appreciative.

Last edited:

JoeAsheville

Established Member
Thanks for that, I might have to. Meanwhile I've found Dave on the evil FB. I've reached out, hopefully he can still provide some information nearly 20 years on.

Established Member
I believe thats the same head Kenny Brown put on my 95R (before I owned it) to race SCCA, and I'm sure it was legal. It had 20 or so races with that configuration. If you have no luck, you might want to reach out to Kenny Brown. He is still active. If I remember correctly, it was a concession to compete with the Camaro, but could be mistaken.

JoeAsheville

Established Member
Thanks 598, any additional avenues for information on this is greatly appreciated.

Meanwhile, I actually got a reply from Dave! Hopefully he'll be able to dig up some information or provide a few details on setup.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
I just looked up the J head in my 1991 Ford Motorsport catalog. I'm surprised they allowed that head. From what I read it has 1.94/1.60 valves and a 58cc chamber. Those are larger valves and a smaller chamber than your GT40 cast iron heads.

In the same catalog they introduced the GT40 aluminum head. This head is closer to a cast iron GT40 head.

This is what was allowed in the professional series. I am not 100% sure what year it was allowed by IMSA/SportsCar/Motorola or Grand Am. I know many parts took time for the series to allow as it progressed through the various name changes.

Good luck in your efforts and keep us updated on the progress.

Any pictures of the car?

Tom

JoeAsheville

Established Member
Hi Tom, yes I have a pic or 2...but it's exactly like any other R. I prefer to keep it visually low key. The only thing that really would be externally distinguishable would be the race numbers and lack of roll-up door glass. Race prep hasn't begun in earnest yet, too many other things going on at the moment. Probably beginning this spring, fingers crossed.

As far as allowing the head...whatever works I guess. If it's within the rules, I'll take it. Also contained in the letter was another part - an Auburn diff. Not really sure that was much of an advantage over a properly set up Trac-Loc. I did make a typo in the title that I can't easily correct - it's not the J302, it's the Y302. I believe the Y302 is just like a stock head, only lighter weight due to material differences.

From my understanding the "R's" that actually were raced usually weren't one of the fabled 250 units...they were just regular Mustangs subjected to race prep, and even ran 302s. I suppose the lighter heads were just another way to level the playing field against the LS motors. I'd bet you've got plenty of information on this.

R.png

Last edited:

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
From my understanding the "R's" that actually were raced usually weren't one of the fabled 250 units...they were just regular Mustangs subjected to race prep, and even ran 302s.
Well we have a real 95R that raced most of the 96 IMSA season, and even won a couple. Here is the 20, winning the 6 hour at Texas by over 2 laps. tomshep's car is in this race as well.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
From my understanding the "R's" that actually were raced usually weren't one of the fabled 250 units...they were just regular Mustangs subjected to race prep, and even ran 302s. I suppose the lighter heads were just another way to level the playing field against the LS motors. I'd bet you've got plenty of information on this.
There were about 15 real Rs that competed early on. I am certain of 2 that were cut up and taken to the crusher. By about 1997 the real Rs had been retired or wrecked, for the most part, and were replaced by clone Rs, built from a body in white or a production car. This is when Ford made most of the R specific parts available in the Ford Motorsport Catalog. Using a clone saved the teams tens of thousands of dollars in construction. The cars that competed on the professional level all used 351s--running a 302 would leave too much power on the table.

Tom

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Well we have a real 95R that raced most of the 96 IMSA season, and even won a couple. Here is the 20, winning the 6 hour at Texas by over 2 laps. tomshep's car is in this race as well.

That is a great video of the Rs of IMSA. Not only are the 20 and 47 Rs in that video, it also has the 00 Hacker Car, 57 Zabinsky, 54 Massuri Muller and I thought I saw the Slot Car R. These were all real Rs. The 47 is wearing the 96 livery. 97+ it had the purple/white livery.

Of particular interest at about the 1 hour mark is some footage of them showing how the Rs used a quick change fitting for the entire front PBR Caliper to swap in new pads, instead of replacing the pads in the caliper.

I was fortunate to run the Zippo car at Texas World a few times before it was turned into a subdivision. This was in the garage from 2007.

Tom
100_1848.JPG

gfcobra04

Established Member
Premium Member
That is a great video of the Rs of IMSA. Not only are the 20 and 47 Rs in that video, it also has the 00 Hacker Car, 57 Zabinsky, 54 Massuri Muller and I thought I saw the Slot Car R. These were all real Rs. The 47 is wearing the 96 livery. 97+ it had the purple/white livery.

Of particular interest at about the 1 hour mark is some footage of them showing how the Rs used a quick change fitting for the entire front PBR Caliper to swap in new pads, instead of replacing the pads in the caliper.

I was fortunate to run the Zippo car at Texas World a few times before it was turned into a subdivision. This was in the garage from 2007.

Tom
View attachment 1730990
That was a fun track going backwards (counter clockwise).

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Hi Tom, yes I have a pic or 2...but it's exactly like any other R. I prefer to keep it visually low key. The only thing that really would be externally distinguishable would be the race numbers and lack of roll-up door glass. Race prep hasn't begun in earnest yet, too many other things going on at the moment. Probably beginning this spring, fingers crossed.

View attachment 1730861

These cars look so good. Just can't get enough of them. I remember the first one I saw at the Tulsa Shelby Meet in 1995. I think you should have fun with it and create some history and provenance. If you are going to track it have some fun with decals and make it unique!

Tom

Users who are viewing this thread