Scammed

Equalbracket

Established Member
You sure?

Yes, I sold a PlayStation console and the guy signed for it, then claimed it was damaged but he mailed back a box full of trash and PayPal took his side immediately and I was negative 800. But that was the extent of it.

They don’t even report PayPal credit debt.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Here’s the deal. Y’all got contacted from someone outside of this site. Your bad. They texted you with a name that looks like it’s from here. I can do that easily. If you don’t get a reply from someone directly on here, not much we can do. Did they copy the pictures, I’m sure. Again, for the last time. Buyer beware, and pay attention.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Yes, I sold a PlayStation console and the guy signed for it, then claimed it was damaged but he mailed back a box full of trash and PayPal took his side immediately and I was negative 800. But that was the extent of it.

They don’t even report PayPal credit debt.
They never sent you to collections?

2640 GT500

Established Member
They never sent you to collections?

Oh, PayPal will most definitely send you to collections. I had two deals go south and ended up with negative $9700 balance. Lucky it got sorted out but prior to that I had a meg $1,200 balance that did go to collections.

If you have the info as to who scammed you, that account/email I can most likely help you but prefer-require conversation via PMs or phone. I’ll be back on Tuesday.

blk02edge

Established Member
UPDATE! As of yesterday 5:30AM

Venmo emailed me stating this .

Hi
The following payment could not be funded by your Bank, National Association account ending in ****.
$320.00 to Paul Anthony on Nov 09
Borla atak. Thank you Paul I appreciate you.
Reason from your bank: "ACH authorization has been revoked by the receiver (adjustment entry)"
Don't worry, we covered you and Paul Anthony has the funds.
However, you now owe Venmo $320.00. Your account has been frozen (you cannot send payments or transfer to your bank) until you settle this debt.

Thanks,
Team Venmo

So Venmo is shady because I called them just days after it happened and explain to them that I was scammed and had ask them to put a stop to the transactions , and told me there was nothing could be done .

Now in this case I just got my 320$ back plus the 150$ that was put back in another transaction because it was done separately . So 100% of my money was returned.

So I’m super lucky and fortunate that my bank was able to help me, but my question is why did Venmo pay Paul back that 320$ and demand that I owe them now .. Who authorize that transaction !!!! I’m going to call them now .
I would leave it and hope it goes away. Technically you morally do owe Venmo the $320 as its not their fault. When they said they covered you Im fairly sure the guy had the money before it bounced from your bank

Kevins89notch

Established Member
So Venmo is shady because I called them just days after it happened and explain to them that I was scammed and had ask them to put a stop to the transactions , and told me there was nothing could be done .

They are not shady. As I started in this discussion early on, you used their service for something it is not intended for. You made the mistake. They purposely don't offer buyer protection as they are not trying to take on paypal. You forget your wallet and your friend pays your dinner tab? Venmo him the $40. Landlord wants rent? Venmo him the money. GF finds an amazing deal on flights to Paris? Have her quickly book it and just venmo her your half. Venmo is to pay back a trusted friend or family member. I fully understand you might not have been aware of that, but the facts remain.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
They are not shady. As I started in this discussion early on, you used their service for something it is not intended for. You made the mistake. They purposely don't offer buyer protection as they are not trying to take on paypal. You forget your wallet and your friend pays your dinner tab? Venmo him the $40. Landlord wants rent? Venmo him the money. GF finds an amazing deal on flights to Paris? Have her quickly book it and just venmo her your half. Venmo is to pay back a trusted friend or family member. I fully understand you might not have been aware of that, but the facts remain.

Bingo. Someone in the transaction needs to suck it up and pay the Paypal fees.

2640 GT500

Established Member
OP if you get e-mails from a potential Russian mail order bride or a family in India that Badly needs your help PLEASE Ignore them!

But GT Premi’s brother is an African King, he has fallen on hard times but assures me he will pay me back with conflict diamonds ..... are you trying to tell me that’s not a safe deal?

#WeWuzKangz (I know it’s 2018 but I couldn’t help myself.)

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member

That doesnt mean Venmo isnt a shady business. For all we know it could be a money laundering system.

Kevins89notch

Established Member
That doesnt mean Venmo isnt a shady business. For all we know it could be a money laundering system.

The ability to be shady, doesn't mean they are. In fact, I just googled it, LOL, they are owned by paypal. This works perfectly because the general public is stupid. "I got dinner, just Paypal me the money" "But doesn't paypal have fees and stuff?" ...and here come Venmo. The feeless app to transfer money. That's it's entire design, and how people use it. "Grab me a movie ticket and I'll meet you there, I'll venmo you the money after." People know it as the free way to send a friend money. The OP didn't understand their business model and got taken advantage of. That really sucks, but it doesn't change the fact Venmo isn't at fault and they are not a shady company.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
The ability to be shady, doesn't mean they are. In fact, I just googled it, LOL, they are owned by paypal. This works perfectly because the general public is stupid. "I got dinner, just Paypal me the money" "But doesn't paypal have fees and stuff?" ...and here come Venmo. The feeless app to transfer money. That's it's entire design, and how people use it. "Grab me a movie ticket and I'll meet you there, I'll venmo you the money after." People know it as the free way to send a friend money. The OP didn't understand their business model and got taken advantage of. That really sucks, but it doesn't change the fact Venmo isn't at fault and they are not a shady company.
Never said venmo is at fault for the OP issues. But nothing is for free. No business can operate with no profits. I really dont know anything about Venmo but they have to make money somehow.
You also prove my point about a possible money laundering business. There owned by a profitable business paypal. Makes for a good front.

Kevins89notch

Established Member
Never said venmo is at fault for the OP issues. But nothing is for free. No business can operate with no profits. I really dont know anything about Venmo but they have to make money somehow.
You also prove my point about a possible money laundering business. There owned by a profitable business paypal. Makes for a good front.

Europe has had free bank account to bank account transfers for years. The US just remains far behind. A quick copy paste from two blogs referring to Venmo...

"The critical incumbent is the credit card. I wrote a blog on this using Amex [1]as an example, but I’ll summarize the main point here. You blow $1,000 at Macy’s. But Macy only receives $970. $2 goes to Visa for using their network, $20 goes to say Capital One, and $8 goes to whoever Macy’s is using to process their transaction, most likely Chase Paymentech."

...AND....

"Last summer, Venmo introduced partnerships with about a dozen apps (including the food-delivery service Munchery and the fast-food chain White Castle) that now let users pay straight from their Venmo accounts. The idea, Crone explains, is that Venmo would take a cut—its standard rate is 2.9 percent plus a small flat fee, which is at the higher end of what merchants pay for a typical credit-card transaction—of not just in-app purchases like these, but of in-person transactions at physical checkout counters, where customers spend trillions of dollars a year."

...and a side note from another blog, Venmo moves 54,000,000 daily. Blogs admin they might not be making much money for their parent company today, but the current goal is to simple get more and more customers. Then the profits will come via the number of transactions they handle a day.

Plus, Venmo does charge 3% if the money you are sending a friend is from a credit card and not your bank account.

Users who are viewing this thread