SC Pulley change, please help.

ChrisMustang

Established Member
So I am trying to change my SC pulley. I didn't like the idea of buying a seperate puller for $100+ so i borrowed some from autozone.

So i put the puller I thought would work but once I got it tight the thing wants to spin and I don't know how to crank it down without the whole thing spinning... So i go to take it off and I can't get it to come off it just spins with the blower pulley. :nonono:

So her is the pic of the puller stuck to the car.
P3111048.jpg

I dunno how to get it off. And also anyone know of a way to get the pulley off without me having to fork over money for a sc pulley puller?

Thank you.

CCS_56_EX

Established Member
I bought a Billetflow pulley puller off the forum for $125, and sold it for $125. Cost me $13 in shipping to have the right tool for the job.

It looks like you could just unbolt the arms of the puller you have on there.

RichM1983

Established Member
You might mess up the belt but you may have to put a screw driver and wedge it so the the screw driver tries to wrap under the belt. That my work....

Not the best way though.

perry2k12

Established Member
Just save yourself the headache and rent the right tool man. I had never tinkered with cars much when I got my current Cobra, but the Billetflow puller made the job very simple.

Ironhand

Banned
You must use a proper pulley puller. Using a 3 jaw puller most likely wont work and if it does can bend the pulley.

Without a pulley puller how are you going to put the new pulley on? Its a press fit.

EDIT: I see that you are northwest of Chicago area. If you want to drive it up here I will take the pulley off and put the new one on for you.

Last edited:

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
post a thread asking if there is a member that is willing to let you use their pulley puller, if you pay to have it shipped to you...and also pay to ship it back to them, once you are finished. that is what i did a few years back, and within a day or so, i found someone willing to help.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Just to let you know you're going to need a tap to chase the threads in the snout after you get that puller off more than likely.

If anyone see's this the only time one of those pullers will probably pull a pulley off is right after one is installed with antiseize. It will probably still bend the pulley up too.

ChrisMustang

Established Member
Thanks guys, I will try to do what I can to get the puller off and get myself a real one.

Without a pulley puller how are you going to put the new pulley on? Its a press fit.

EDIT: I see that you are northwest of Chicago area. If you want to drive it up here I will take the pulley off and put the new one on for you.

I also rented another puller that will screw in the front and press on the pulley. The installation tool i have should work just fine. The removal one is the issue.

I appreciate the offer, hopefully I don't need to bother you but I will keep that in mind if I really am in a pinch. Thanks!

hotcobra03

Established Member
Thanks guys, I will try to do what I can to get the puller off and get myself a real one.

I also rented another puller that will screw in the front and press on the pulley. The installation tool i have should work just fine. The removal one is the issue.

I appreciate the offer, hopefully I don't need to bother you but I will keep that in mind if I really am in a pinch. Thanks!

look at the post count of the members on your last 3 replys,,,

if i was you i hop in car and see IRONHAND..

im not saying you cant do this job,,but sounds like he has tool in hand,,has done this more than once...will be able to help you with with what will come next,,

from reading other posts its like you might need 3 hands with having the proper tool....

GL

Blueline

Established Member
To get that puller off without having it spin, you have to put a pry bar or large screwdriver in between the threaded portion of the pulller and the left jaw (if your facing it). You will now be able to keep the puller from spinning and it should come off. If you can use your 18v cordless drill / impact it will make it much easier. Good luck!

ChrisMustang

Established Member
I got the puller off with some help. Had someone hold a prybar between puller and I used breaker bar on the end and was able to loosen it.

Posi you were right, I damaged the threads in the snout, the screw that was there won't go in anymore, will need to tap it.

65wildstang

Established Member
Have you tried installing a prybar or screwdriver between the pullers threaded shaft and one of its jaws for support and then try to loosen the puller? I dont see anyone removing the pulley on these cars with a regular 3 or 4 jaw puller and not damaging the pulley or shaft threads. When I changed mine it was tight the whole way until it actually came off. Good luck

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
I got the puller off with some help. Had someone hold a prybar between puller and I used breaker bar on the end and was able to loosen it.

Posi you were right, I damaged the threads in the snout, the screw that was there won't go in anymore, will need to tap it.

well...at least you got it off, i guess.

keep us updated/posted. let us know if it makes any difference on the "butt dyno" once you get finished, and are able to take it for a quick spin! =]

good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread