Saving weight: Antigravity battery + Morris Engineering

_Snake_

Established Member
Do the lithium batteries require any special charging equipment in the car, to prevent overcharging, etc?
Or just a tender for when it's sitting a while?

No special charging equipment is needed for the car, but you do need a tender for lithium ion batteries. A "regular" tender won't work.

How well do you think it would hold up if you had to crack the car several times to start it with E 85, and does the car feel off balance? I think I remember some saying that a light battery causes the car to pull to one side? True or not true? Thank you.

How well it will hold up depends on which model you buy. Antigravity has three different models in the category mine came from: 16 cell (480CCA), 20 cell (600CCA), and 24 cell (720CCA). The larger you go, the heavier the battery (not a big deal since the 24 cell is only 6 lbs and the 16 cell is 4 lbs). But you get more CCA and more amp hours when you go bigger. I went with the 24 cell and feel very confident that it wouldn't skip a beat in the scenario you asked about. And definitely not true about the car pulling to one side.

Flcracker

Established Member
Great info. Thank you sir. Hey, very curious about how the car feels after removing that much weight from it in that location. Could you feel that the car was a little bit "lighter on its feet?" Would you need to combine a lighter battery with some other weight reduction effort to feel a difference? Thanks.

_Snake_

Established Member
I wish I could say I noticed a difference, but I didn't. Then again, I really wasn't expecting to (it's only removing 25 lbs from a 3,600 lb car afterall). But the little things will add up....the battery, aluminum or cf driveshaft (someday), lighter wheels (someday also), and a rear sear delete (if I ever find one from Ford).

noldevin

Established Member
Yeah you won't ever feel a 25lb difference unless it's rotational weight, and even then you'd barely feel it.
But, usually the only way to drop 100lbs off a car is drop a few pounds a bunch of times :p So 25 is a pretty nice chunk.

DaBigBone

Established Member
I absolutely notice the weight difference. However, mine also has a BMR K Member and no front sway bar. Overall it was about 100lbs off the front end. Definitely worth it IMO

B7BlownSnake

Established Member
I have had this 24 cell Antigravity Battery and Morris mount for about 3 months. My car isn't a daily, and usually gets started once a week. I don't have a lithium battery charger yet. I have had no issues, and the car starts up immediately. Longest I've gone is 3 weeks, and no issues. One week I drove the car to work every day, and no issues.

Flcracker

Established Member
I absolutely notice the weight difference. However, mine also has a BMR K Member and no front sway bar. Overall it was about 100lbs off the front end. Definitely worth it IMO
Hey, does the front end float without the sway bar. I've been thinking about ditching my heavy Eibach sway bar for the stocker but now i'm thinking i might go without it completely. Thanks

DaBigBone

Established Member
Hey, does the front end float without the sway bar. I've been thinking about ditching my heavy Eibach sway bar for the stocker but now i'm thinking i might go without it completely. Thanks

Not at all. I honestly feel no difference with it removed.

Flcracker

Established Member
How's that BMR K Member working out? Does the front end or steering wheel shake? Does the car feel clunky at all?

Carbd86GT

You're Gator Bait
Established Member
FYI, antigravity is having a 25% off sale on batteries through 12/31/2017. Use coupon code “AG2017”. I just got mine ordered up. Now going for the Morris engineering tray/hold down.

WIST2013GT

Established Member
Any updates on this? Battery still holding up?

I'm concerned about running this with a supercharger setup and not having the power to keep the fuel pump alive/not going lean.

B7BlownSnake

Established Member

I'm concerned about running this with a supercharger setup and not having the power to keep the fuel pump alive/not going lean.

Mine isn't blown, but I've had no issues. Still not a daily driver and I start/drive it once a week, sometimes once every 2 weeks. Cranks quick and no issues I can see.

Carbd86GT

You're Gator Bait
Established Member

Battery is only used to start, the alternator would be your worry about charging voltage and amps.

My car is a daily and my antigravity ATX12-24 has been real good so far.

Sizeth3

Established Member
For the record, I noticed when I removed my front swaybar and installed the BMR radiator support. The front end definitely comes up faster. I didn't notice my lightweight battery. My guess is the weight from the battery is much closer to the firewall, vs on the nose of the car.

Carbd86GT

You're Gator Bait
Established Member
7 month update (approx 9k miles) on my Antigravity battery in my daily 2012 GT…

Car still starts faster than the new lead battery every time I hit the key. This thing hasn’t flinched in this humid mid 90’s (feels like 100+) Florida heat. It’s treating me very well, I’m happy with my purchase. I don’t run any electronics off of it without the car running, so I can’t say what type of cranking power it will have if you do decide to do something like that.

Users who are viewing this thread