Satellite Internet Service?

NIT2WN

torque junky
Established Member
The only way I can get a faster internet connection is by using a satellite system. So.... Do any of you guys have this and if so who are they? I'm on dial up and happen to literally be the last house on the line. My next door neighbor is long distance without area calling. We are getting a Dish Network setup Saturday. I'm just wondering what I have to look forward to.

ssssnake

Established Member
I have satellite. It's a local company. I get frustrated with it sometimes. It's a cool idea, but just like dish TV - if the weather's bad, you might have trouble. Other than that, I like it. A little more costly than dial up. I have satellite TV and phones too.

NIT2WN

torque junky
Established Member
We aleady have Dish Network fo our tv. I hate to admit it but we have two dvr's that can record 2 channels apiece.Since I work rotating shifts, and my wife and I don't watch the same shows, it comes in handy. They're working overtime since Barrett-Jackson is on. Anything has to be better than dial-up. I could go back to smoke signals and do better some days. I would like to be able to go to You Tube and see a video without waiting thirty minutes.

ssssnake

Established Member
Yeah, it's neat that the internet is there at the click of a mouse. You Tube is nice because of that. I seem to watch more of that than I used to. :) I haven't used to satellite phone service as much as I should. No one knows my phone number (me included - I keep forgetting it). I also have a dedicated fax line, so that's cool too.

txyaloo

Established Member
Satellite internet is nice when nothing else is available. My folks had it for 10 years or so and still keep it for a backup. All satellite services will have a FAP (fair access policy). Once you download more than so many mb your service gets slowed down to below dial-up speeds and basically becomes unusable. This can range from 100-250mb in an hour. Internet will go out during rain, and it slows down a lot during peak hours due to the services being oversold. Also, there's a ton of latency. Websites take some time to be contacted, and you really can't play games on it. If you go with Hughesnet, try and get on a business account - those accounts are a little more reliable.

If you have the option, I'd go with an EVDO phone service. Check and see if Sprint or Alltel have wireless data cards in your area. The service won't be as "fast" as the advertised satellite speeds, but they'll be more more reliable and consistent IMO. Both allow unlimited downloads and allow roaming on on each other's networks nation wide. Verizon advertises unlimited downloads, but there's an imaginary cap of 5gb where they can and will cut off your service.

sb306

Established Member
Back when I was looking at it, the drawback was that you still had to send info via the phone line. as far as downloading, it was fast. But for games it wasn't a viable option because ur transmitting as much as ur receiving. And it was still transmitting with a 28.8 or 56k phone line, so that was the bottleneck.

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
What about the $$$$? I knew someone who had it, and he said there were major up-front costs for hardware...and the monthly cost was in the neigborhood of $80!?!?

NIT2WN

torque junky
Established Member
The upfront cost is $200, then it's $50 a month for their cheapest service on an 18 month contract. I already pay $32 a month for this crappy AOL and wireless isn't an option unless I tried ATT. There isn't any other wireless besides Southern Link. Southern Link may be next cell service anyway because Verizon won't work here at home. Cingular[ATT] started working 3 months after we got the junk we have now. I ask them if they were putting up towers around here and the girl was clueless. I basically then went with the cheaper of the two. I'm telling you guys, I live on the backside of BFE up the creek. I'm willing to shell out the $50 a month if I could say.. watch a youtube video once and a while. I don't even click on a video link, I could change the sparkplugs in the lightning twice before it downloaded it. I don't use this thing for gaming, I just come here, Ebay, and other car related sights. My wife uses it because she's an English teacher. I just need download speed. I might even see if Summit Racing has an online store but this thing is slow. I feel like I brought a Geo Metro to a drag race, three cylinders don't cut it.

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
Damn, you must be way out in the styx. Satellite internet should only be an option for someone who can't get anything better than dialup. I don't know how much it has changed in the past 4 years but I remember going to someones house that had it. It was slower than dialup at some points.

x_man586

Going to UTI
Established Member
I don't live in the sticks, but no one will put in a decent internet service here. The cable stops less than 1 mile up the road. We used to have cable internet and it was awesome. Satelite is ok, faster than dial-up, but still has it's problems.

NIT2WN

torque junky
Established Member
Sticks, how about next door to the Talladega National Forest. The satellite deal is my only option. I woulld love to get anything else but when your the last guy on the phone line... well you get the idea. The only thing worse is it's suppose to snow and guess who probably won't show up.

Users who are viewing this thread