San Antonio Raceway

Cowboytk

Grey Ghost
Established Member
Hello All, I am trying to get some assistance. I have a traction problem at San Antonio Raceway. The track prep routinely sucks and no one can get traction. I am on street tires, but I plan to buy a set of drag radials when I can afford them. Until then is there anything that can be done to maximize the traction at this track when the prep is bad.
Some examples of how bad the track prep are, a guy from a local car club running a 08 gt auto with headers, o/r x, axleback, tfi streetfighter converter, frpp intake manifold, detroit cams, jlt intake, tune (i dont remember which one) 4.10's and hoosier slicks (28 or 30in tire I cannot remember) was running normally low twelves with bad d.a but saturday when he raced his best was a 13.6. Another example, a 13 or 14 gt500 running 13.4 at 120, and a gtr (auto)with several mods running 12's spinning all 4 tires.
My best run of the night was 12.7 @113 with my new tune, but I was spining thru 2nd and slipped 3rd. my best mph was on a 13.04 run at 114. I dropped my psi to 25lbs and launched at idle twice and 1k for the last run.
SVTP gurus is there anything I can do?
Also the D.A saturday was 15-1800 all night

Last edited:

mustang john

Established Member
Full slicks! That will give you the best chance at traction. SAR is my home track and i understand completely. I run 28x10.5x15 ET Drag stiff walls and cut 1.4x sixties regularly out there. But some nights the track just isnt there and there is nothing you can do.

SVT_Snake

Established Member
Full slick and you wont have any more problems. Drag radials will do fairly well too. What street tires are you running. I routinely go to sar my self I understand as well what your saying best I could run on street tires was a 12.3 @ 120 with a 1.9 60ft im running 315 35 17 nitto motivos but can run mid 11s with slicks.

Cowboytk

Grey Ghost
Established Member
Full slicks! That will give you the best chance at traction. SAR is my home track and i understand completely. I run 28x10.5x15 ET Drag stiff walls and cut 1.4x sixties regularly out there. But some nights the track just isnt there and there is nothing you can do.

I worry about slicks on my otherwise stock car, specifically the 6r80.

Full slick and you wont have any more problems. Drag radials will do fairly well too. What street tires are you running. I routinely go to sar my self I understand as well what your saying best I could run on street tires was a 12.3 @ 120 with a 1.9 60ft im running 315 35 17 nitto motivos but can run mid 11s with slicks.

I ran a 12.59 with 550 treadwear continental dws' 255/45-18.

SVT_Snake

Established Member
Thats very good I bet your time would of been way better with at least some wider tires. Those new 5.0 motors are ridiculous with a couple of bolt ons.

Cowboytk

Grey Ghost
Established Member
Thats very good I bet your time would of been way better with at least some wider tires. Those new 5.0 motors are ridiculous with a couple of bolt ons.

yea that's my thought. I want a set 275's on it. the d.a was crap as usual, and the trap prep was poor.

mustang john

Established Member
A full slick is actually more forgiving to a drive train than a drag radial. It absorbs alot of the shock on the launch with the soft sidewall. Get some and let it hang out!

elcobrita

Established Member
yea that's my thought. I want a set 275's on it. the d.a was crap as usual, and the trap prep was poor.

I would be happy with that DA. I'm in El Paso and DA doesn't go below 6000 in the summer

Users who are viewing this thread