Samurai Swords

Dr. Gonzo

We're in Bat Country
Established Member
Premium Member
My grandfather was a Marine and was stationed in the Pacific during WWII. He passed away at the age of 94 and as part of his estate, I inherited (2) samurai swords. My uncle, who had them in his possession for years, said the swords were taken off of Japanese officers.

My question is, how can I determine if these are real Japanese samurai swords or replicas? They have been wrapped in plastic for what seems like 15+ years and I have no reason to doubt the story but I have no experience in these weapons and have no way of knowing if they were purchased from a souvenir store. The swords and their sheaths are in pretty rough shape but if they are real, I would like to get them restored.

If these picture are too crude I can take better ones.
15i56b5.jpg

2iqbp69.jpg

ctago.jpg

rtkm7d.jpg

21llque.jpg

2rpd37k.jpg

14e2lur.jpg

angd5k.jpg

Last edited:

Silverstrike

It's to big to move FAST!
Established Member
Sounds to me to be either officers or NCO mass produced types made during the war,

Like Sid said pictures would be a plus as then it could be determined on just who made them and during what time frame.

Dr. Gonzo

We're in Bat Country
Established Member
Premium Member
I was able to pull off the handle of one of the swords and there was a making.

I'll definitely post of pictures later today.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
WWII "Samurai" Officer swords where generally mass produced - much like modern US Marine Mameluke Swords.

In some rare cases the swords could have been family heirlooms.

Here is a good link to start reading up -

http://quanonline.com/military/military_reference/japanese/japanese.html

Even if they are not monetaraly valuable, hang on to them. I bought an excellent condition Arisaka Type 99 off a kid in college for $70. His Grand Father kept it after "Growdell Canal" (Guadalcanal).

Beautiful rifle, 1940 build date. Kid made my stomach turn.

Last edited:

VerySneaky

Bug Annihilator
Established Member
Sorry for your loss, I hope you were able to learn from him and hear his experiences.

First, I am no expert, but:
"Katana" or "Wakizashi" or "Shin-Gunto" or "Kai-gunto". Shin-gunto were the blades carried by Japanese NCOs.
Look for serial numbers (also check if hilt and blade SN match), any Japanese kanji (letters), a cherry blossom near the hilt or on the guard, or logos as you would if you were buying something for yourself. If there are any of the tassles left, the color of the tassel was indicative of rank.

VaporGT

-
Established Member
WWII "Samurai" Officer swords where generally mass produced - much like modern US Marine Mameluke Swords.

In some rare cases the swords could have been family heirlooms.

Here is a good link to start reading up -

http://quanonline.com/military/military_reference/japanese/japanese.html

Even if they are not monetaraly valuable, hang on to them. I bought an excellent condition Arisaka Type 99 off a kid in college for $70. His Grand Father kept it after "Growdell Canal" (Guadalcanal).

$70?!?!? That's a steal. Like you said they're not particularly expensive, but its an awesome piece of history.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member

I would love to have a legit Arisaka to go next to my Mosin.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
i dont know that much about them but let me call my good friend who does.

'http://www.troll.me?p=683381'
let-me-call-my-buddy-whos-an-expert.jpg

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
My grandfather brought back several swords, among other things, from Japan back in '46. My father is in the possession of the items, I'm sure I'll inherit them one day. I was told years ago, under the wrap on the handle is the information of whom the sword was made for and by. Could be a rumor, could be fact, I have no idea.

Users who are viewing this thread