Samsung Galaxy S4- Utter Disappointment

T-Bolt

Official 'ring tow rig...
Established Member
Well, I picked up an S4 today, and I'm returning it tomorrow. What a piece of junk. Don't get me wrong, the hardware and some of the features are sick, but the TouchWiz UI is pure crap. Normally, this wouldn't bother me, since I'd just flash plain android or CM10 over it, but when you do that, you can no longer use any of the Samsung apps, including the IR blaster (for those that aren't too technologically savvy, the thing that makes it a TV remote).

With stock software, I have no idea how it gets so much praise. Now I know why people have been switching to iPhones, this software is junk. So long as Samsung weighs down their phones with this shit, I will not be buying another. It really bummed me out. Anyone else hating their new S4? As for me, I'm either selling it or returning it, but either way I'm going back to my Galaxy Nexus with its plain vanilla Android.

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
I still have my Galaxy Nexus, I haven't used any phone lately that compelled me to make a change. The HTC One X is nice but I won't buy a phone that you can't upgrade the battery on. I had my hands on S4 a couple weeks ago, wasn't impressed.

Last edited:

T-Bolt

Established Member
I still have my Galaxy Nexus, I haven't used any phone lately that compelled me to make a change. The HTC One X is nice but I won't buy a phone that you can't upgrade the battery on. I had my hands on S4 a couple weeks ago, wasn't impressed.

That's precisely why I decided not to wait for the One to hit Verizon. It's better in every way, but I considered the non-removeable battery to be a deal-breaker. Now I'm about ready to bite the bullet and just do that instead. I'll see how tomorrow goes, but the fact that the phone comes with a terrible UI and the worst keyboard I've ever used out of the box makes me want to chuck it out a window. The worst part is that the hardware is impressive, but the software just muddles it up. If someone gets the IR remote to work with CM10, I'll gladly keep it.

Sn8kebitten

Established Member
So is the S3 considered better? I haven't had anything but iPhones since 2011 and I'm sick of this pos iPhone 4. Really wanting to switch to a S3 or S4 but I just don't know with all these threads popping up lately.

JStyles

Established Member
Just flash a custom launcher like APEX. You get almost-stock customization, but still keep the cool touchwiz capabilities.

I've been there done that with a GNEX and tons of ROMs and I couldn't be happier with my S4.

LogiWorld123

Established Member
i just got an HTC one, best phone ive ever played with.

and it has IR

and a super awesome camera

and the speakers sound amazing

and its light thin and awesome.

chancejat

Established Member
i love my s4...i had my international note 1 for 1.5 years and im pleased with the change. better roms will come just give it time....dont get me started on some POS iphone.

Last edited:

T-Bolt

Established Member
i just got an HTC one, best phone ive ever played with.

and it has IR

and a super awesome camera

and the speakers sound amazing

and its light thin and awesome.

Yeah, I was going to do the One, but the built-in battery was a deal breaker for me. After using the S4 though, it no longer is.

Have you checked the XDA forums to see if the Samsung apps have been pulled?

I did. They don't work without Samsung framework. Total bummer.

LogiWorld123

Established Member
Yeah, I was going to do the One, but the built-in battery was a deal breaker for me. After using the S4 though, it no longer is.

i came from an evo 4g so i thought it might be too- so far i haven't minded. the only reason i ever removed the battery from my evo was to change the SD card.

stangposse

Established Member
Thats strange..everyone I know is bailing on the Iphone.

It gets so much praise because its a great phone....that's why.

The fact that you are sweating the samsung apps and that your number one need for the phone is to act as a remote control for your TV lends zero credence to your opinion that the phone is junk.

BTW....didn't you at least try the phone before you bought it? Are you aware that there are better keyboards out there? There are ALWAYS better options....aka Swype. Bashing a keyboard is kinda senseless don't u think? Its kinda like bashing the stock mufflers on a Mustang.

I had the HTC One. I do believe it is better in some ways....screen and speakers were better. I tried it for 14 days and then swapped it for the S4. I wanted battery access and I didn't like the location of the power button. However, IMO, there is nothing not to like about the S4.

Good luck

Fuzzy Logic

ʎʇıןɐǝɹ ɹnoʎ ʇɔǝɾǝɹ ן
Established Member
i don't think i'll get another phone until they roll out with 5g. my gnex does everything i want and i use it as my main source for internet (got unlimited data).

i was tempted by the s4, but saw the upgrades as minor. true the hardware and some of the software is nice, but my main concern is internet speed. that really won't change until 5g rolls out.

(hopefully) i can live with my gnex until then.

truefiveo

Established Member
Well, I picked up an S4 today, and I'm returning it tomorrow. What a piece of junk. Don't get me wrong, the hardware and some of the features are sick, but the TouchWiz UI is pure crap. Normally, this wouldn't bother me, since I'd just flash plain android or CM10 over it, but when you do that, you can no longer use any of the Samsung apps, including the IR blaster (for those that aren't too technologically savvy, the thing that makes it a TV remote).

With stock software, I have no idea how it gets so much praise. Now I know why people have been switching to iPhones, this software is junk. So long as Samsung weighs down their phones with this shit, I will not be buying another. It really bummed me out. Anyone else hating their new S4? As for me, I'm either selling it or returning it, but either way I'm going back to my Galaxy Nexus with its plain vanilla Android.

Prepare to be awarded the "I'm a newb andriod tweaker dunce cap" by Thomas....:pop:

Kevins89notch

Established Member
I can't wait for the Note 3.

note 2

/thread

with Nova Launcher! I love going 24-36 hours on every charge and able to sometimes hit 48.

(hopefully) i can live with my gnex until then.

I couldn't. 12 hour battery life sucked! I could wake up, drive to lunch with an hour, kill 30 minutes at lunch browsing forums and be the time I got in my car to leave, be at 60%. I would then drive to work, not use the phone for 6-7 hours, and find it at 30% when I left work. I'm at 60% right now on my Note 2 after 11 hours unplugged, and almost 2 hours screen time.

Last edited:

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
I couldn't. 12 hour battery life sucked! I could wake up, drive to lunch with an hour, kill 30 minutes at lunch browsing forums and be the time I got in my car to leave, be at 60%. I would then drive to work, not use the phone for 6-7 hours, and find it at 30% when I left work. I'm at 60% right now on my Note 2 after 11 hours unplugged, and almost 2 hours screen time.

I have a 3800mAh Seidio in mine, it should have come stock this way.

T-Bolt

Established Member
Thats strange..everyone I know is bailing on the Iphone.

It gets so much praise because its a great phone....that's why.

The fact that you are sweating the samsung apps and that your number one need for the phone is to act as a remote control for your TV lends zero credence to your opinion that the phone is junk.

BTW....didn't you at least try the phone before you bought it? Are you aware that there are better keyboards out there? There are ALWAYS better options....aka Swype. Bashing a keyboard is kinda senseless don't u think? Its kinda like bashing the stock mufflers on a Mustang.

I had the HTC One. I do believe it is better in some ways....screen and speakers were better. I tried it for 14 days and then swapped it for the S4. I wanted battery access and I didn't like the location of the power button. However, IMO, there is nothing not to like about the S4.

Good luck

That wasn't the only reason why I bought it. I felt my old Galaxy Nexus was getting long in the tooth. The TouchWiz software is so shitty compared to plain android. If you wad my earlier post, I said that I o not mind rooting and flashing a custom rom to suit myself, however if you do that, you cannot use the cool Samsung apps, such as the remote control.

I'm a big Android guy and hate iOS because I know the potential of plain android. The amount of crap Samsung loads down in TouchWiz gives android a black eye.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread