S550 Top of the line to ditch Supercharger and Shelby name?

mnewxcv

Established Member
im just wondering what kind of numbers itd produce.... can they make a cobra with less power than the last generation?

pbeechner

Established Member
I think they could, but not by much, and only if it posted similar performance numbers. I think it is possible to do with a big displacement, DOHC V8. Maybe a bigger displacement of the Coyote architecture....

With the proper suspension and gearing, I think it could do really well, and I know SVT can engineer such a thing :banana::banana:

redline

Established Member
I wonder how finishing last will sound .right now 662 ponies and being on top so why go backwards ?I believe this will a stupid move for ford.just think dodge is going to come out with a super charged 392 hemi .man it makes the 07 to 14 look like diamonds compared to whats suppose be coming out. I guess that the going green bs.

redline

Established Member
ford should build the car around the motor. not build the car and try to figure what to put in it.

bumplime

Established Member
Auto blog is throwing so much crap out hoping something they write sticks. How many articles of speculation have they written so far?

pbeechner

Established Member
Well I'm not commenting on the reality or the reliability of what autoblog posts. I'm just stating that I personally love the idea and wanted to see what others thought of it. I think as long as the performance is commensurate or improved, I think this could be a great route.

NinjaBum

Established Member
I doubt they would drop like that.
My guess? 500hp NA cobra to compete with the z28/fill the spot the boss vacated, amd keep the FI car to compete with the ZL1.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Established Member
Too bad Shelby and Ford have signed a contract from 2015 and beyond. They just needed a story to go along with the spy pics. Autoblog, you retard!!!!

If it keeps forced induction is up in the air. It's true SVT's first next gen Mustang could be superchargerless... But it will be called the GT350. I don't think we will see a Cobra anytime soon when Ford actually has the REAL "Cobra" in the GT500. The whole "Cobra" name came about when Ford bought the emblem and name from Shelby after the GT500 was no longer allowed to be used. They made the Cobra II in 1976...

1969- GT500
1976- Cobra II

2014- GT500
2017- Cobra III

No thanks, keep it where it is... Oh wait a minute, Ford is... It's Autoblog that's full of shit.

Last edited:

mycroft

Established Member
Too bad Shelby and Ford have signed a contract from 2015 and beyond.

Just for the name rights though. It would allow them to make a GT350 and avoid the crap they caught from Shelby in the 80s when the 84 GT350 came out.

But at any rate, it's all garbage speculation until Ford comes out with a press release.

jes_csx

Established Member
I'm pretty sure we can expect an NA Boss successor vein called a GT350. It will only be the "top of the line" model at launch. The FI GT500 will come a few years later. Ford yanked the GT350 name from shelby a while back.... maybe a year, year and a half ago?

Last edited:

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Established Member
I'm pretty sure we can expect an NA Boss successor vein called a GT350. It will only be the "top of the line" model at launch. The FI GT500 will come a few years later. Ford yanked the GT350 name from shelby a while back.... maybe a year, year and a half ago?
I had heard that Ford specifically wanted rights to the Cobra roadster and GT350. I had heard that when Ford built the Cobra roadster, they also acquired the GT350 name...

It was later deemed that the Boss 302 would make a limited run, allowing Ford to use the Boss 302 nameplate up to 2016 in professional racing. There is usually a 3 year production rule (FGT had run its course by 2011 I believe). A vehicle produced for a single year can usually race for up to 4 seasons total. This production car rule is becoming more heavily enforced as NASCAR and the FIA buy up all the little guys.

This would allow Ford Racing to budget a completely new car, under a new (but old) nameplate and possibly... SVT could oversee the production side under One Ford. It could reduce the cost of the turn key and street car or in the customers case... still offer it between $39,999-49,999 on the street.

That is just rumor though but some kind of deal for the "Cobra" Roadster would of had to been made in order for Ford to produce a prototype. Who knows, maybe the Shelby GT350 was a rejected design by Ford... Maybe Shelby wanted Ford to make a Boss first and make the GT350 after so it would obviously be a better car... He was like that...

But then he passed... and everything that was his is being sold (if it hadn't already). Those names deserve to be on Ford products, its the right thing to do so those performance cars live on through very hard times... Because people, this is truly the end of dollar performance...

If road racing is to become more popular, then your gonna want the grand daddy of nameplates like Cobra and GT350. There will not be a Cobra Mustang if there is a Cobra Roadster... The Mustang will keep to the GT naming scheme as it started with in 1964 (2014). Then to the GT350 in 1966 (2016) and GT500 in 1967 (2017).

Last edited:

jes_csx

Established Member
A lot of what you are saying makes sense. As for your shelby model data by year... the first gt350 5r002, was finished in the end of '64. The first large batch of cars of 100 cars was finished for scca homologation in feb-april of 1965. A '15-'17+ run of gt350's followed by '17 gt500 being added does make sense. I think we will see a GT350 sooner then later. I know Ford and possibly CS were not very happy with how SA handled the GT350. I think that has more to do with the boss->GT350 timing then anything.
In what context are you talking about Ford building the cobra roadster and acquiring the GT350 name? Do you mean Daisy?

Its Shelby Licensing that controls who has the right to do what. Shelby Autos may say "_we_ have a deal", but that could mean that Shelby Licensing actually has the deal with Ford. The name Shelby is possibly getting thrown about rather loosely which is nothing new. If Carroll wasnt happy with what SA was doing I'm pretty sure he would gladly sell rights to Ford to secure his legacy and financially secure his estate. I dont know, just wild speculation based on bits and pieces of info I have heard from people I know. Something interesting is going on, but I'm not sure what it is. If I did know, I wouldnt be posting about it... but I dont so I'll just play the game because I am anxious and excited ;-)
Ford is playing us all quite well.

If the modern "cobra roadster" is real, a hard edged roadster based on a shortened mustang platform that can be shared with a more luxurious Lincoln variant makes sense. Its also a bit of a personal wet dream haha. How long is Ford going to be satisfied with a Mustang variant as a range topping halo car? Farley is a cobra nut (I'm pretty sure he owns a kirkham and possibly 2 real original cars... 1 for sure). Mays is an Aston guy who has had his hands in the GT, DB9 etc. Hameedi is brilliant and capable of getting incredible hardware into production. The '13 GT500 was a shocker. The follow up has to be pretty impressive. I cant wait to see what they come up with. I just dont understand if and when they will draw the line with the mustang variants and say "ok, we need a 2 seater". The Ford GT was a glorious freak accident that came out of a perfects storm. Who knows if or when we will see something similar. Personally I'd love nothing more then to see a vette competitor 2 seater that starts around 50k at 3200lbs and 450hp and goes up to around 100k, but I'm not holding my breath. Also, just because Ford wanted rights to "cobra roadster" doesnt mean they will do anything with it. If they do I think a shortened mustang platform is more likely then going back to daisy and the GR1's FGT parts bin platform. Its too bad really. Ford could have done a lot more with that R&D and tooling and I think they were on a really interesting path. Sorry... rather random thoughts here.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure I'll gladly trade a kidney for a '15 boss 302 successor. It doesnt matter what badges are on it.... it will be a badass piece of SVT hardware.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Established Member
A lot of what you are saying makes sense. As for your shelby model data by year... the first gt350 5r002, was finished in the end of '64. The first large batch of cars of 100 cars was finished for scca homologation in feb-april of 1965. A '15-'17+ run of gt350's followed by '17 gt500 being added does make sense. I think we will see a GT350 sooner then later. I know Ford and possibly CS were not very happy with how SA handled the GT350. I think that has more to do with the boss->GT350 timing then anything.
In what context are you talking about Ford building the cobra roadster and acquiring the GT350 name? Do you mean Daisy?

Its Shelby Licensing that controls who has the right to do what. Shelby Autos may say "_we_ have a deal", but that could mean that Shelby Licensing actually has the deal with Ford. The name Shelby is possibly getting thrown about rather loosely which is nothing new. If Carroll wasnt happy with what SA was doing I'm pretty sure he would gladly sell rights to Ford to secure his legacy and financially secure his estate. I dont know, just wild speculation based on bits and pieces of info I have heard from people I know. Something interesting is going on, but I'm not sure what it is. If I did know, I wouldnt be posting about it... but I dont so I'll just play the game because I am anxious and excited ;-)
Ford is playing us all quite well.

If the modern "cobra roadster" is real, a hard edged roadster based on a shortened mustang platform that can be shared with a more luxurious Lincoln variant makes sense. Its also a bit of a personal wet dream haha. How long is Ford going to be satisfied with a Mustang variant as a range topping halo car? Farley is a cobra nut (I'm pretty sure he owns a kirkham and possibly 2 real original cars... 1 for sure). Mays is an Aston guy who has had his hands in the GT, DB9 etc. Hameedi is brilliant and capable of getting incredible hardware into production. The '13 GT500 was a shocker. The follow up has to be pretty impressive. I cant wait to see what they come up with. I just dont understand if and when they will draw the line with the mustang variants and say "ok, we need a 2 seater". The Ford GT was a glorious freak accident that came out of a perfects storm. Who knows if or when we will see something similar. Personally I'd love nothing more then to see a vette competitor 2 seater that starts around 50k at 3200lbs and 450hp and goes up to around 100k, but I'm not holding my breath. Also, just because Ford wanted rights to "cobra roadster" doesnt mean they will do anything with it. If they do I think a shortened mustang platform is more likely then going back to daisy and the GR1's FGT parts bin platform. Its too bad really. Ford could have done a lot more with that R&D and tooling and I think they were on a really interesting path. Sorry... rather random thoughts here.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure I'll gladly trade a kidney for a '15 boss 302 successor. It doesnt matter what badges are on it.... it will be a badass piece of SVT hardware.
Yes sir, Daisy... But I believe the deal for all the above happened sometime before 2002 before the Factory Five Racing lawsuit against Ford and Shelby or it was the other way around.. I just remembered that Ford started R&D on the S197 in 2000. Could be after Shelby saw the finished product (the red convertible concept), the deal grew legs...

Last edited:

jes_csx

Established Member
Yes sir, Daisy... But I believe the deal for all the above happened sometime before 2002 before the Factory Five Racing lawsuit against Ford and Shelby or it was the other way around.. I just remembered that Ford started R&D on the S197 in 2000. Could be after Shelby saw the finished product (the red convertible concept), the deal grew legs...

The deal I'm speaking of with the GT350 moniker happened shortly before CS passed and he was busy getting things in order.

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
Keep the blower add in the IRS...If the GT will be making 450 N/A, what engine will they use for the "top of the line" car

The 5.8L from the 13GT500? too heavy?

Users who are viewing this thread