s197 vs. mach 1

SIr RicCuS

Orange County Horsepower
Established Member
Mach1USMC said:
There have been so many threads lately comparing Machs to S197's, 99-01 Cobras, LSx's, even Terminators- but I suppose that's the name of the game.

I guess it's all in what you like. But from what I've seen- and experienced, all given equal drivers, stock or equal mods- the pecking order goes something like this: GT500KR>GT500>Terminator>Mach1>99-01 Cobra>S197 GT>Bullit>99-04 GT.

With the exception of the 99-04 GT all the NA's are very close- and depending on tranny some of the cars can be flip-flopped.

That being said ANYTHING can and does happen on the street. You miss a gear, have a bad tune, start off in the wrong gear wave goodbye to your competition because they just smoked you.....the list of "excuses" is endless.

And since you've owned a few stangs you know very well a lot of noobs jump in a Mustang GT for the first time and they just know their car is the fastest thing out there- not having ever researched the car and not knowing that there are in fact faster Mustangs out there.

And for the record I know my car isn't nearly the fastest thing out there. I don't race a lot but my 2 losses in the Mach was to an SC S197 and a HUGE turboed VW 331. Then again I've pulled on several S197's as well. But hey- win some, lose some right?

It's all good:beer:

+1 Great and settle words of wisdom. I agree 100%! :beer:

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
Not to throw fuel on the fire but unless you keep your car STOCK and you only go against STOCK cars this argument is totally irrelevant. No matter what kind of car you have and what mods you have done there is ALWAYS someone faster. Some platforms are better than others to start with but at the end of the day it's about what YOU the owner/enthusiast want to do to YOUR car and how much money/time YOU want to spend to get it there. So who really cares what car is faster in stock form. I'd say 90% of this board (maybe even higher) mod the hell out of their cars anyway- so who cares:shrug:

As I said earlier- it's ALL good. :beer:

speedofsound

Centrifuged
Established Member
Mach1USMC said:
Not to throw fuel on the fire but unless you keep your car STOCK and you only go against STOCK cars this argument is totally irrelevant.

+1. stock for stock, these cars are a driver's race, period. we are talking low tenths difference at the strip? ...come on, thats half a car on the street.

Bens4vcobra

On hallowed ground
Established Member
Mach1USMC said:
Not to throw fuel on the fire but unless you keep your car STOCK and you only go against STOCK cars this argument is totally irrelevant. No matter what kind of car you have and what mods you have done there is ALWAYS someone faster. Some platforms are better than others to start with but at the end of the day it's about what YOU the owner/enthusiast want to do to YOUR car and how much money/time YOU want to spend to get it there. So who really cares what car is faster in stock form. I'd say 90% of this board (maybe even higher) mod the hell out of their cars anyway- so who cares:shrug:

As I said earlier- it's ALL good. :beer:

This is the best post on this thread so far. When you start talking mods, all the "rules" go out the window.

As for the platforms statement, I 100% agree. Mustangs (just about any model) are one of the best enthusiast platforms available. Year after year, generation after generation, people jump all over these cars despite (usually) always being down on stock horsepower to the competition (when there is competition
that is).

I recently test drove an 07 S197 GT and was very suprised. I expected power to be inline with my old cobra but it wasnt. it was much lighter on its feet, more comfortable, i could row through the gears effortlessly and it was best handling "muscle car" i have ever driven. my overall opinion? just about the best daily driver car anyone could want and much more than that if you wanted it to be.

Last edited:

Bens4vcobra

On hallowed ground
Established Member
chad9350 said:
with similar mods; gears, cold air, 4.10, exhaust, and tunes...

I think its been pretty well established that the S197's are a tad underrated at 300hp. Mags have tested bone stock gt's and they usually put down about 265-275 at the wheels and run about a 10th or 2 slower than a stock mach attributed to the extra weight.

should this be a debate anymore? what i think is the more interesting topic if you want a mach vs s197 thread is that the s197's put down #'s that are very, and i mean very close to machs do with boost.

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
I have to disagree on this...most S197s that i have seen at 13.5 at best but usually, mid to upper 13s....SO, take the best ET listed in this thread...that is a 13.4....look at the best et of a mach...12.98...how the F are the S197s a couple of tenths.

Furthermore, why take the best et's?....take avgs...cause there will always be variables.....Mach low to mid 13....S197 mid to high 13s......STILL .5 seconds.

Machs dyno more, have better power band (upper end) and weigh less. WHy is this so hard to comprehend? Not trying to be a dick, just stating fact. Just like it is fact that the mach was only made for 2 yrs and the aftermarket for S197s is crazy..and they will be around for a while given it is the GT.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
they are both underrated. while my 03 mach 1 5 sp only dynod at 278 on a superflow the computer which is calibrated to the shops superflow engine dyno spat out 333 crank horsepower est.

the big deal with the new mustang gt's is there heads that were designed strictly on a need be emissions basis. in other words they are poorly designed for performance and in lamens terms do not flow worth a damn. i recently ask fourcam is it easier to build up a 4.6 3 valve(cam, heads, long tubes) or swap to the mach 1/svt 4 valve. he flat out said, swap it out(concerning building a new bullitt up n/a).

Users who are viewing this thread