s197 vs. mach 1

OrangeMach23

BOOSTIDMACH
Established Member
I agree.Should be close but I see stock Mach's posting better times at the track than S197's. On the street it's always a drivers race. Before my car was blown I used to race my buddies 05 and he was putting down like 310 rwhp. We had about the same power numbers and we used to run them to like 140. I would pull ahead slightly at the top but it was always close.

C-Liz-Go

I sell houses!!
Established Member
Mach's weigh less as I recall, and the stock S197 is not putting down 310 without mods. Stock is about 260RWHP on the new Stangs.

But yes it would be close. The autos seem to be faster at the track currently, depending on the driver.

Oh and hi, I'm new here.

SVTsupremecy

Established Member
When i was stock i raced a Blue Mach 1 from a 60mph roll and i think all he had was catback....from 60 we were dead even to 120. I was maybe pulling at the end but i probly ended up 1 foot ahead. the name of the game stock for stock is definatly driver skill.
1/4 mile times seem to be VERY close as well...ive heard of mach 1s running 13.3s and ive heard of 05+ GTs running 13.4s

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
Well my 05 had 4.10's, tune/jlt/catted X/Pullies and from about 45mph to 100mph I pulled about a 1/2 of a car on my friends stock Mach!!

Now I am really glad I went with the Terminator.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
SVTsupremecy said:
1/4 mile times seem to be VERY close as well...ive heard of mach 1s running 13.3s and ive heard of 05+ GTs running 13.4s

a properly driven mach(stock 5 sp) at a good track will produce 13.1-13.3 at a good track. from the times i have seen the 05+ mustang gt's are about .2 slower than that.

BooRail85

Banned
i agree, from every encounter i have seen the mach is .1-.2 faster given equal driver competence... i attribute it to the ~200lb difference in weight.

nothing that a good cai/tune can't fix!

F8L_50

Banned
Its the driver i smoked a 02 cobra and a Mach with my stock GT, they were crappy drivers as is. I bet you if you race from a dig each time the 05 will pull it off a couple times just due to driver error.

swoosh_stang

I'm not evil, Trust Me
Established Member
Ummm, didn't the cobra's skip from 01 to 03?

I don't think there was an 02 cobra, I'm guessing it was a typo and you meant 03.

SIr RicCuS

Orange County Horsepower
Established Member
Not trying to bash on you S197 GT guys, but I have still yet to lose to a S197 GT in my Mach 1. I only have an x-pipe, cat-back, inlet pipe, and intake. I don't run into them every day, but at least a couple times a week...

Me and my buddy Grant went from a dig in his and I pulled a little more then a car on him out of the hole and he stayed there until he shut down at around 125 MPH... From a roll I had a half of car on him with the same out come. He has lowering springs, GT500 throttle body, full exhaust, intake, and tune.

He doesn't come on SVTP, but I'll see if he can post up the video for me! :beer:

MattP 343

Established Member
From what Ive encountered the average person who buys a S197 GT gets it for the stock performance factor, retro styling, and do not intend on heavily racing it or cruising forums looking for tips on modifications. However, the people that go out looking for a Mach 1 or Cobra are usually a 'Gear Heads' looking for something to race/hot rod around and generally know how to drive better than the Average Person. So typically on the street, the run of the mill S197 GT is going to get beat by the LS1, Mach 1, or Cobra more times then not. That may sound stupid, but thats just how I view things, and I own a S197 (But I do not consider myself to just be an average car guy ;-))

Regardless the Mach has a slight advantage over the S197 GT given both drivers are equal and cars are stock.

Last edited:

Wild Stallion

Established Member
SIr RicCuS said:
Not trying to bash on you S197 GT guys, but I have still yet to lose to a S197 GT in my Mach 1. I only have an x-pipe, cat-back, inlet pipe, and intake. I don't run into them every day, but at least a couple times a week...

Me and my buddy Grant went from a dig in his and I pulled a little more then a car on him out of the hole and he stayed there until he shut down at around 125 MPH... From a roll I had a half of car on him with the same out come. He has lowering springs, GT500 throttle body, full exhaust, intake, and tune.

He doesn't come on SVTP, but I'll see if he can post up the video for me! :beer:
I'll Race ya but you might be surprised of the outcome. By the way hows that stegy comn' did your girl come through or was she just teasing you. As most do haha, oh man i sure wish i could find a girl like that.

SIr RicCuS

Orange County Horsepower
Established Member
Wild Stallion said:
I'll Race ya but you might be surprised of the outcome. By the way hows that stegy comn' did your girl come through or was she just teasing you. As most do haha, oh man i sure wish i could find a girl like that.

A couple buddies of mine actually just got the blower back on Tuesday night! UNPORTED though... It's been off since the end of March; but not completely off... I'll be the first to admit that I was a bit over my head with taking off the blower single handed, but the only thing I did wrong was forgetting to unbolt the intercooler... :nonono:

She did come through on her part and give me the cashier's check though! I still have it! I'm saving up a little and putting it towards a Whipple!!! :rockon:

I figured that I would have ended up going with a twin-screw in the long run anyway... LOL

Users who are viewing this thread