S197 Mustang GTs vs any C5 Z06s or C6 base Corvettes?

SKMCOBRA

Just the Facts
Established Member
Let me hear about any runs you've made against them. I had a C5Z for three years and NEVER one time did I have a Mustang owner attempt to challenge me. It was like my car intimidated them or something. Now that I've sold it and bought a 2014 GT I'm wondering how my car would do against either a C5Z like mine or a base model C6? I must admit I REALLY miss the Corvette. This is my 3rd Mustang but man the Corvette is just a different car all around...handling, aerodynamics, LS engines, etc. BTW my GT has 3.73 gears and wider tires out back.

2013GT'ed

Established Member
I have taken down 2 c5z's. They were autos though but it was a good steady pull when I was stock and a slaughter with how I sit now. I have beaten a 2006 c6 6 speed. Not sure how much was the driver though. Fyi, ive been pimp slapped by several c6z's. Those cars are no joke, that's why they stayed away from you.

2013GT'ed

Established Member
My bad on the cyz part I thought that's what you had. I've no sleep how much of a difference there is between a manual and auto c5z. My runs where from 50 though, which seems to be a good spot for the auto 5.0s?

mustangmanjeff

Established Member
I have taken down 2 c5z's. They were autos though but it was a good steady pull when I was stock and a slaughter with how I sit now. I have beaten a 2006 c6 6 speed. Not sure how much was the driver though. Fyi, ive been pimp slapped by several c6z's. Those cars are no joke, that's why they stayed away from you.

umm they never made c5zs with autos, the only vettes that ever had autos were the base model c5 and c6s...

2013GT'ed

Established Member
Then I was lied too!!! Or I just don't know my vetted. Explains why I wiped the floor with em so bad...lol

KushBandit

Established Member
I raced a white C5Z about a month ago. I think it was stock since I couldn't hear it over my car, and mine isn't that loud. Anyway, we raced from a 40 roll and I yanked him up to about 120-130 when I let off. I put a bus length on him for sure. I didn't get a chance to ask him about mods since he was kinda salty about losing and kept driving.

I trap 120 in the 1/4 mile, to give you an idea of my cars capability. Looks like a stock C5Z is good for a 113 trap speed, from a little research. Perhaps the dude just couldnt drive, idk lol.

2013GT'ed

Established Member
Well, I got lt's, o/r xpipe cai and tune with full bmr rear suspension and tires so I dunno. All I know is a c6z is a big no no to race lawl.

SKMCOBRA

Just the Facts
Established Member

All C5Zs are T56 six speeds my friend. Base model C5s have only 350 horses vs 405 for the Z06. The 2006 C6s have the LS2 engine with only 400hp. The 2008+ C6s have the LS3 with 430hp.

SKMCOBRA

Just the Facts
Established Member
I raced a white C5Z about a month ago. I think it was stock since I couldn't hear it over my car, and mine isn't that loud. Anyway, we raced from a 40 roll and I yanked him up to about 120-130 when I let off. I put a bus length on him for sure. I didn't get a chance to ask him about mods since he was kinda salty about losing and kept driving.

I trap 120 in the 1/4 mile, to give you an idea of my cars capability. Looks like a stock C5Z is good for a 113 trap speed, from a little research. Perhaps the dude just couldnt drive, idk lol.
The only white C5Z was in 2001 when they only had 385hp. If bone stock then yeah you had 35hp on him and he probably didn't know his power range. It was intimidating to down shift into 3rd on the highway in mine. It would scream!
Well, I got lt's, o/r xpipe cai and tune with full bmr rear suspension and tires so I dunno. All I know is a c6z is a big no no to race lawl.
Yeah the C6Zs have 505hp so they are butt kickers!

KushBandit

Established Member
The only white C5Z was in 2001 when they only had 385hp. If bone stock then yeah you had 35hp on him and he probably didn't know his power range. It was intimidating to down shift into 3rd on the highway in mine. It would scream!

Yeah the C6Zs have 505hp so they are butt kickers!

I don't think it was white from the factory, it looked like white plasti-dip. Regardless, I make 457rwhp through a 6R80 and have a race weight around 3450lbs. If he was stock, I had at least 100rwhp on him, which would explain the slaughter lol.

SKMCOBRA

Just the Facts
Established Member
I don't think it was white from the factory, it looked like white plasti-dip. Regardless, I make 457rwhp through a 6R80 and have a race weight around 3450lbs. If he was stock, I had at least 100rwhp on him, which would explain the slaughter lol.

What did you do to lighten your car up 150lbs?

mustangmanjeff

Established Member
All C5Zs are T56 six speeds my friend. Base model C5s have only 350 horses vs 405 for the Z06. The 2006 C6s have the LS2 engine with only 400hp. The 2008+ C6s have the LS3 with 430hp.

yep also dont forget like stated above, the first year of c5z06 was rated at only 385hp, then chevy upped it to 405 hp rateing after. and the very first year / offer of ls1 motor was in 1997 the first intro of c5 vette was 97 ( 98 for camaro and transam) the vette was rated 345hp in 1997, they then upped power to 350hp rateing.

Last edited:

KushBandit

Established Member
What did you do to lighten your car up 150lbs?

Race weight, not curb weight. That's 3,450 with lil ol' 150lbs me in the driver seat and a 1/4 tank of fuel. It weighs about 400-450lbs less than stock.

I pulled the rear seats, subwoofers, amp, spare/jack, front sway bar, strut brace, and about every piece of plastic that's behind the front seats. Every after market component is lighter than the stock parts they replaced, which cut out a lot of weight, mainly suspension and exhaust. Things like a light weight K member, light weight radiator support, antigravity battery, aluminum driveshaft, etc. I some times run without a passenger seat as well. That weighs roughly 60lbs alone.

I even went as far as cutting and scraping out all the sound deadening material from under the carpet/seats. There's probably more but I don't recall everything I removed at the moment. I still have my radio and A/C.

ramstein

Established Member
Stock for stock C5Z and LS3C6 are faster. Ls2 would be drivers race.

SKMCOBRA

Just the Facts
Established Member
A light bolt-on ls3 vette racing a 509 whp evo-x. We are tailing in my car w/cj intake and almost full bolts-ons.

https://youtu.be/5OoCJBOG_tA

Wow are you certain that was a 2008+ Vette? It's hard to tell since it's black and a night time vid. I find it hard to believe you pulled that much on a LS3 Vette, even with boltons, which I assume includes LTs and gears?

oldbones

The blue bowtie
Established Member
Wow are you certain that was a 2008+ Vette? It's hard to tell since it's black and a night time vid. I find it hard to believe you pulled that much on a LS3 Vette, even with boltons, which I assume includes LTs and gears?

No long tubes in this video. Here are the mods I had: x-pipe, e85, 3.31 gears, CJ intake and CJ exhaust cams (Which are 159 ish bucks).

I know for a fact it is a ls3. A stock C6z06 is a drivers race for me from a roll. I have a friend and his C6z06 dynos 488 rwhp and he pulls about 2-3 cars on me. On the spray it's a different story. I do love c6z06, I just can't fit a car seat in one.

SKMCOBRA

Just the Facts
Established Member
No long tubes in this video. Here are the mods I had: x-pipe, e85, 3.31 gears, CJ intake and CJ exhaust cams (Which are 159 ish bucks).

I know for a fact it is a ls3. A stock C6z06 is a drivers race for me from a roll. I have a friend and his C6z06 dynos 488 rwhp and he pulls about 2-3 cars on me. On the spray it's a different story. I do love c6z06, I just can't fit a car seat in one.

So with only bolt-ons you can hang with a stock C6Z?!? What is your rwhp?

oldbones

The blue bowtie
Established Member
So with only bolt-ons you can hang with a stock C6Z?!? What is your rwhp?

466 rwhp on 91oct and about 480rwhp now with better exhaust and e85. I have cj exh cams as well.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread