RXT vs RST clutch

69clark

Established Member
So I have been reading tons of threads on these clutches. My car will be making about 600hp and originally my plan was to go with an RST clutch. However, I have noticed that it seems most guys here are running the RXT instead.

Now I know that the RST is rated at 800hp and the RXT at 1000hp. Besides that, what is the difference? Wouldn't I just be fine with the RST? Even if I went for more power, I would never go above 700hp.

So what do you guys think? BTW, we are talking about a whipple 4.6 terminator motor with t56.

va boy

Established Member
Do you plan on taking the car to the track

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
Answer this ,and you'll find the answer to your question.
Track duty should get the RXT from what I've gathered.
I do not visit the track and went with the RST. I've been running it for a year now and am extremely satisfied with it. No slipping whatsoever, just remember to break it in properly.

Last edited:

69clark

Established Member
Probably wont go to the track and if I do it will be on street tires, not stickies. But thanks that answers my question. Plus one other thing this will be in a mod fox, so I will be a little lighter than a terminator.

sprstr1000

WHIPPLECHARGED
Established Member
I have an RST and am happy with it wxcept for one thing, it does not like to be sliiped for any period of time. I habe not been to the track yet but from the info ive gathered it can take a good launch but not repeatedly. Must let it cool between runs
I will be goin to the track in the spring i will let ya know how it does. I think as long as i just dump the clutch an not slip it it should be fine.

0-MYSTACHROME-4

Established Member
RXT here and love it. Softer then stock pedal which makes cruising very comfortable. Just got here broken in and now im ready for the 2.3 to go on so i can turn up the heat and see how she really likes it.

08mojo

Established Member
So I have been reading tons of threads on these clutches. My car will be making about 600hp and originally my plan was to go with an RST clutch. However, I have noticed that it seems most guys here are running the RXT instead.

Now I know that the RST is rated at 800hp and the RXT at 1000hp. Besides that, what is the difference? Wouldn't I just be fine with the RST? Even if I went for more power, I would never go above 700hp.

So what do you guys think? BTW, we are talking about a whipple 4.6 terminator motor with t56.

The only difference between the RST and the RXT is the friction material. The RST is organic style, which cannot hold up to heat very well. The RXT uses a ceramic composite, which does hold up better to heat.

That is the only difference between the two clutches. The pressure plate, floater ring, adapter, etc are exactly the same.

I'm sure the RST has better street manners (ability to slip more without grabbing) than the RXT, but the RXT still has excellent street manners. I recently installed an RXT. The RXT does tend to grab hard and chatter if I try to slip it at very low rpm (less than 1200), but it is very manageable. If I feed it a bit more rpm, there is no chatter at all and the clutch does not grab too hard.

My advice would be to pay the extra money for the RXT. Do it right the first time. You are making a lot of power, and that T56 is a heavy piece of equipment! Pulling the T-5 out of my old fox was a breeze, not so much with the T56...

va boy

Established Member
The difference in material must explain why when I slip my RST, even slightly, it stinks about as bad as any clutch I've ever come across, it's horrible!

younggun04

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
The only difference between the RST and the RXT is the friction material. The RST is organic style, which cannot hold up to heat very well. The RXT uses a ceramic composite, which does hold up better to heat.

That is the only difference between the two clutches. The pressure plate, floater ring, adapter, etc are exactly the same.

I'm sure the RST has better street manners (ability to slip more without grabbing) than the RXT, but the RXT still has excellent street manners. I recently installed an RXT. The RXT does tend to grab hard and chatter if I try to slip it at very low rpm (less than 1200), but it is very manageable. If I feed it a bit more rpm, there is no chatter at all and the clutch does not grab too hard.

My advice would be to pay the extra money for the RXT. Do it right the first time. You are making a lot of power, and that T56 is a heavy piece of equipment! Pulling the T-5 out of my old fox was a breeze, not so much with the T56...

Took the word out of my mouth.

I went with the RST first making 600 RWHP. The clutch lasted 2 trips to the track and was toast in 3 months. Decided to upgrade to RXT and the clutch still grabs like the day I upgraded it in 2008. It doesn't matter if the car is lighter and has less power. I would still get the RXT for the simple reason that it is not too much more money and gives you piece of mind that you clutch will hold almost anything. I have pber 100 track passes and tons of street duty at 600-700+ RWHP and not a single issue.

RXT = Best clutch ever made for our cars /thread.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
Stupid of McLeod to even confuse people and offer the rst for these cars....the rxt is the only choice you should focus on.

Jroc

Established Member
I used a RST in my Cobra and thought it was a fine clutch for the most part, but like someone already said it doesn't like the abuse of being slipped for too long. I went to Wal-Mart in it on Christmas Eve 09 and that was like a 45/60 minute exercise in creeping threw a crowded parking lot looking for a place to park and that clutch did not like that too much, and started to get soft. I recommend the RXT for sure, but again the RST is a nice street clutch for a 500 WHP Cobra for the most part.

Users who are viewing this thread