RXT noise

mdever12

Established Member
Just had a McLeod Rxt with the 26 spline input shaft along with new bearings, etc, put in last week. I've driven the car for about 60 miles. There's now a rotating-metal noise which I'm assuming is coming from the clutch. Is this normal for the McLeod RXT? Thanks for the input in advance

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
If it's the same noise i'm thinking of, my promotion clutch does the same thing. It's most audible in 4th gear lugging around. Been there since install.

*Jay*

Tweeker by trade
Established Member
Premium Member
I believe I have the same noise (sounds like a metallic whirring) when lugging around in a high gear at low RPM's. I believe it is just a harmonic noise from the 26 spline being engaged at lower RPM's. As soon as I speed up or shift to a lower gear the sound goes away.

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
I believe I have the same noise (sounds like a metallic whirring) when lugging around in a high gear at low RPM's. I believe it is just a harmonic noise from the 26 spline being engaged at lower RPM's. As soon as I speed up or shift to a lower gear the sound goes away.

My 10 spline clutch does it also.

mdever12

Established Member

I have the same noise coming from my RXT at low rpms in 3rd and 4th gear.

Yea that's exactly it! I think mine makes the noise in 2nd as well. I'll drive it once I get home from work, and report back.

cobracide

Established Member
2nd? Wierd. Low rpms in 4th and 5th here. That's the hub vibrating I think. Won't hurt a thing. Just keep it over 2k if you can't stand the noise.

Last edited:

mdever12

Established Member
good excuse to keep the r's up! :burnout:
:banana:
2nd? Wierd. Low rpms in 4th and 5th here. That's the hub vibrating I think. Won't hurt a thing. Just keep it over 2k if you can't stand th noise.
Good suggestion. I was just worried since i just had it installed that i might have already screwed it up. I think I'll take it back to the shop that installed it just to double check. Thanks for the responses everyone :beer:

sleepermobile2

Established Member
I just bought the same clutch from D&D they told me to expect to hear noise or have a chugging feel if I drove in higher gears at low rpms

Users who are viewing this thread