Running No Cats in Ma

04ssssvt

04ssssvt
Established Member
Hey guys, 2014 GT500 owner here in Mass. I’m curious if any of you MA residing owners had issues with inspections running catless. Want the performance benefits but don’t want any problems either. Does running a hi-flow cat make sense on these cars? I’ve heard the factory cat isn’t as restricted like other cars. The car is bone stock at the moment but I plan to be adding basic bolt ons soon. Thanks for the input.

Chancey

Auto Affection
Established Member
I am no expert, but several have told me that our ford factory cats flow almost as good as aftermarket “high flow” and last much longer. I personally swapped in a lethal catless h pipe. LOVED the sound, but hated the exhaust fumes and smell while idleing around. I also honestly think I have better low end torque with the ford factory cats in place. I sold my H pipe and put the factory cats and piping back on!

04ssssvt

04ssssvt
Established Member
I am no expert, but several have told me that our ford factory cats flow almost as good as aftermarket “high flow” and last much longer. I personally swapped in a lethal catless h pipe. LOVED the sound, but hated the exhaust fumes and smell while idleing around. I also honestly think I have better low end torque with the ford factory cats in place. I sold my H pipe and put the factory cats and piping back on!

thanks for the input. Did you completely switch back to the stock set up?

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Hey guys, 2014 GT500 owner here in Mass. I’m curious if any of you MA residing owners had issues with inspections running catless.Want the performance benefits but don’t want any problems either. Does running a hi-flow cat make sense on these cars? I’ve heard the factory cat isn’t as restricted like other cars. The car is bone stock at the moment but I plan to be adding basic bolt ons soon. Thanks for the input.
Had Kooks high flow cats on my 2011, they threw codes.
@ the time, my tuner just turned off the 02's, which no one will do now.
When it came time for inspection, went with Kooks " green " cats, & the 02's were turned back on. The issue with inspections is ( at least in N.J. ) when they plug into the 0BDII port, all the systems have to report " ready ", no cats won't do that.
Good luck..

PM-Performance

Established Member
When it came time for inspection, went with Kooks " green " cats, & the 02's were turned back on. The issue with inspections is ( at least in N.J. ) when they plug into the 0BDII port, all the systems have to report " ready ", no cats won't do that.
Good luck..

They will. They just will not advertise it publically. I am not saying to ask anyone to do this for obvious reasons, but it is still being done.

I have a tune with sensors turned off for normal use and another tune I can flip to, to make my sensors show ready for inspection if it comes to it.
Good thing about PA is that if you are under 5k miles for the year , you are emissions exempt.
That being said, I have a catted pipe as well to swap to if I ever need it. I like to be as prepared as possible. If you find a cool inspection station, worse case they can "no communication" the car and it will pass that way.
Lots of creative ways to get past these things if needed.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
No cats,............not passing inspection in MA.
They are tough on emissions here.

Chancey

Auto Affection
Established Member
Good luck..
Yes they will... Just on the low.

bigmoose

Established Member
I passed in MA many years with my old cobras without cats. I didn't care about the ready code since MA allows one sensor to be not ready, which was my cats. However, that could trigger a visual which would fail, unless you go to a friendly place or run high flow cats.

PM-Performance

Established Member
I passed in MA many years with my old cobras without cats. I didn't care about the ready code since MA allows one sensor to be not ready, which was my cats. However, that could trigger a visual which would fail, unless you go to a friendly place or run high flow cats.
PA is the same. I think they allow 2 sensors to be not ready though, but I may be incorrect.

Jam421

Jam421
Established Member
I have AMR Hi-Flo Cats and no issue with NY Emissions. My buddy had his '08 Cats hogged out shortly after some performance mods which the shop thought might require a tune adjustment. It sounded louder, required no adjustments and made no additional HP.

PM-Performance

Established Member
I have AMR Hi-Flo Cats and no issue with NY Emissions. My buddy had his '08 Cats hogged out shortly after some performance mods which the shop thought might require a tune adjustment. It sounded louder, required no adjustments and made no additional HP.

exhaust mods do not require any tune adjustments.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Cmon. Lol. They all do it. They just don’t advertise it for obvious reasons.
You may have them shut off on your tune and not even know it. Lol.
I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that VMP Performance does not turn off the 02 sensors.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
I haven't had my car on the road in a few years (should have it back this month sometime) but when I brought my DD in for a sticker I asked him about no cats on my Cobra. My sticker guy (knows my car) told me no cats is not going to be a problem, as long as the light is off.
Where are you in MA?

bigmoose

Established Member
Now a days you absolutely do NOT want your cats turned off in the tune. A "not supported" status is an automatic fail in most states while a "not ready", on but not passing check, will pass a lot of places if it's the only one.

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
Also now remember that there are now video cameras in the Massachusetts inspection stations. "someone" does actually selectively watch, and could potentially reprimand the station. I am very friendly with my station, and they are telling me this. Things changed big time in 2019.

PM-Performance

Established Member
Now a days you absolutely do NOT want your cats turned off in the tune. A "not supported" status is an automatic fail in most states while a "not ready", on but not passing check, will pass a lot of places if it's the only one.

I think the point has been made that you can either turn them back on, or trick them to not flag a fail code.
People have been doing this since obd2 was invented. it’s really not that big a deal.
However unless you are making some real steam, there is no need to remove cats. I don’t run cats on any of my boosted cars that are modded.
It’s not for everyone though. ESP for people that don’t know how or like to work on their cars. Paying someone to swap your pipe yearly I can imagine sucks.

Users who are viewing this thread