Run flat, any recommendations?

mikes35

Established Member
Are there any good run flat's that are reasonably priced that have good all around performance? Are they worth running? I'm thinking they would be good for preserving high dollar wheels. Any advice? Thanks, Mike

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Have you run them? Why do you recommend not using them?

Personally, no.

However I know and work with several people who've had them in BMWs and Mini Coopers.

They are expensive, rob performance, limit tire selection and are a PITA to deal with when installing new tires.

The OEMs only use them so they can get away with not including a donut because of space constraints.

In 16 years of driving I've never had a blow out nor a flat that damaged a wheel. I also don't know anyone that has ever had a flat damage a wheel.

I'm sure run-flats are also going to limit what size wheel you can run as well.

Run Flats are great for their original purpose - when you are off road or in combat and are simply unable to change a wheel at that moment.

For a daily driver they seem rather stupid. Get a full size spare, a cell phone or AAA.

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
Have them on a non mustang. I would not use them on a mustang. Stiff sidewall, rougher ride, and they are really heavy (un sprung weight). That's in addition to what others said above (cost, limits choices etc).

mikes35

Established Member
I've got run flats on my Mercedes, it drives very smooth but I am sure a lot has to do with its suspension. Tire prices are outrageous in wide 20" sizes to begin with, I'm sure run flats in that size will be that much higher. I guess you could probably replace a wheel for what additional you would pay for 4 run flats over non run flats..

Users who are viewing this thread