Rumor mill - ZX5 bodied SVT for 2003??

D_D

Established Member
I've heard that Ford will produce a 5 door SVT Focus as a 2003 model - can anyone confirm? A 5 door SVT would be just what the doctor ordered for ol' DD here; trying to get a car seat (or a 110 lbs dog!) in and out of the back seat of a 3 door Focus is more trouble than it's worth!

So, who's in the know????

AZ SVT

Established Member
I doubt if they will any more than a crewcab Lightning. Not what they think the "image" should be. If they do though, it won't cost them a dime to develop. The SVT is just a left hand drive UK ST170 and they will have a 5 door ST170 in 2002. All the body parts unique to the SVT (except the rocker panel) are the same on a 3 or 5 door.

D_D

Established Member
Actually, I've been able to confirm this rumor through several different sources, and the story is always the same (consistent, I mean). I'm inclined to believe it. Job 1 is set for Oct/Nov, from what I understand.

I've got a local salesman who tends to be "in the know" where SVT is concerned, I'm going to give him a ring and see what he knows.

AZ SVT

Established Member
I'm glad they did it. Just didn't think they were smart enough. Earlier I noted that that every SVT part except the rocker panel would fit on the 5 door. Its interesting that the 5 door SVT has no add on rocker panel. Its good they could keep the development budget to ZERO. ;)

D_D

Established Member
I'm really tempted on this one. I've convinced myself that - for financial reasons - I'm going to forego another pickup (hey, I'm a redneck, what can I say? 3 trucks and counting so far...) and go with a car next time around. Just can't justify 12-15 mpg in a big old truck when 90% of the time it's just me in the car.

So, I'm now going back and forth between a regular (non-SVT) Mustang GT and a 5 door SVT Focus. Focus gets better mileage and would be easier to put the child seat in, take the dog to the vet (110 lbs!), etc. Mustang has that great V-8 rumble, more hp, RWD, and some great financing and leasing deals - which will almost certainly be better come April/May when I'm looking.

Decisions, decisions....

cruznsvt

Established Member
MPG

Highway mpg isn't any better with the SVTF than the Mustang.

City is a tad better

Users who are viewing this thread