rubbing compound?

mambaman

Established Member
my parents dog recently jumped up on my car, leaveing 3 or 4 scrathes in the right rear panel. i think that they're only through the clearcoat, and someone suggested i use rubbing compound to try to remove them. any thoughts or ideas?thanks

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Try one of the scratch removers first like Mirror Glaze or Mequires. Rubbing compound is quite abrasive. It you are going to use it, try it on a test area like under the hood first.

Good Luck

mambaman

Established Member
ok thank you for the response, i'll check out what wal-mart has(i'm hoping not to have to resort to rubbing compound, since i tihnk it's only through the clearcoat)

nozzl97

Established Member
try to use a nice wax first if that doesnt work try lightly wetsanding it with a 1500 grit or higher sand paper then
use a rubbing compound to bring the gloss back.:coolman:

mambaman

Established Member
what procedure is the least risky?i'm assuming meguire's scratch remover or something?they aren't horrible, in fact no one else has noticed them, but i have obviosuly and it bothers me, so i'd like to do something about them.thanks

VenomousSVT

TRQSTEER
Established Member
Try meguilers scratch-X FIRST!...No risk and it will damn near take out anything that is a surface scratch if you work with it and are patient...

nozzl97

Established Member
if you can feel the scratch with your fingernail you will need to colorsand it then buff it out. if you cant feel it with your fingernail then just use a little elbo grease & a good wax.

mambaman

Established Member
venomous....i want your car!!that thing is mean looking. also,no i can't feel grooves or scratches, so i am praying mcguires will do the job

VenomousSVT

TRQSTEER
Established Member
Originally posted by mambaman
venomous....i want your car!!that thing is mean looking. also,no i can't feel grooves or scratches, so i am praying mcguires will do the job

Thanks! Glad you like it! Hopefully you will be able to get your scratches to go away with minor efforts. Most of the time they are just in the clearcoat and maybe just very mildly hit the color itself. With these if you use some good elbow grease and some scratch-x to really heat the paint up then it should come out with almost no visible reminders that it was there. You might want to double up your cloth when rubbing because if you are as dedicated to getting the scratch out as I am then you will have blisters shortly afterwards because the rag has gotten soo hot from friction....

Good luck

Travis

C_Record

Established Member
There's no such thing as the scratch "mildly" hitting the color. If it doesn't appear to want to come out with wax or polishing compound, don't keep rubbing on it, that means it's too deep and you'll end up rubbing down to the color(only repaint can fix that) And don't use rubbing compound unless you know how to use a buffer to take out the compound scratches.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Wet sand with some 1500 sandpaper (use your hand). then use some 3M scratch remover. you can find this at auto paint supply shops, and then use some 3M 5990 hand glaze to bring it to a high luster.

VenomousSVT

TRQSTEER
Established Member
Originally posted by C_Record
There's no such thing as the scratch "mildly" hitting the color. If it doesn't appear to want to come out with wax or polishing compound, don't keep rubbing on it, that means it's too deep and you'll end up rubbing down to the color(only repaint can fix that) And don't use rubbing compound unless you know how to use a buffer to take out the compound scratches.

You can have a clearcoat scratch that just barely goes through and can still smooth out the clear on top of the color and hide 90% of the damage.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
One method to tell if sanding and buffing will work is to take your finger nail, and lightly pick at the scratch. If you catch your nail pritty good, then it will be hard to take out the scratch, but if it is not to deep, then it is possible to take out most of the scratch. Also if the scratch is really deep, and you don't want to repain immediately then you might try getting a small can of your cars original color of paint, and a small 3 bristle, or something close to it, art brush. You can then fill in the scratches a few time letting it dry between coats, then try the wet sanding process to level the job out a bit. this sometimes works, however it is not going to be perfoect.

C_Record

Established Member
I know you didn't say "through the color". Here's my point again. If the scratch goes "down to" the color, which means any work performed will contact the color, then it can't be rubbed out.

VenomousSVT

TRQSTEER
Established Member
I was only trying to say that he can probably heat the clear up enough to flow into the scratch....there would still be evidence of a scratch if you look for it but it would be covered more so than it was before.....and your right the only way to do it 100% would be to paint the panel

didnt mean to start a debate..

Travis

C_Record

Established Member
I don't want a debate either, but people shouldn't be posting advice if they don't know what they're talking about. And I'm positive you don't know what you're talking about. A person CANNOT heat the clearcoat on a car and have it flow into a scratch. If you want to discuss this and find out anything you've ever wanted to know about painting cars, PM me.

Users who are viewing this thread