RS vs ST

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
I went to my local dealer to check out an ST to see if it's roomy enough for my DD needs. I had a GT350 on order and due to many reasons I cancelled it. I've been thinking about a RS for a DD instead. Well i found a few dealers with ST marked down 5-6k off sticker... I can get a new 16 ST2 for $23k.. And an ST1 for $20k... The RS is going to be 40k.... That's a crazy price difference. I mean I know it's a different car, but it's nearly double what I can get a ST for. I guess time will tell, but it's got me thinking twice.
What do you guys think?

Last edited:

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
If you're going with an st get the fist. If it fits you, I'm 6.2 200, the fiesta st is lighter, quicker and more fun to drive. It's should 3-4K less than the focus. There's a reason why the fist gets the rave reviews and the fost is just another mention.

IamRacerX

Established Member
So...point of thread...is?

Just getting opinions on what you guys think.... Is an RS worth nearly twice the money?

I guess it's like saying is a GT350R worth twice a discounted GT price.... If you have the money of course it is.....

Ps I see you had a GT350 and sold it already. What did you think of it?

Last edited:

IamRacerX

Established Member
If you're going with an st get the fist. If it fits you, I'm 6.2 200, the fiesta st is lighter, quicker and more fun to drive. It's should 3-4K less than the focus. There's a reason why the fist gets the rave reviews and the fost is just another mention.
I have heard it's the more fun car to drive... Not sure it's big enough for some of my DD duties though. I'm 6'2" 195 also, are you saying you physically do or don't fit?

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Between the ST and RS get the RS, between the fist and fost get the fist. I fit fine I've had mine since July and it's the best car I've ever driven. I like it better than the 15/16 mustang GT. It's not as fast but it's quick agile, turn stop on a dime 2700lb blast! Go drive it!

GTtoSVT

Established Member
i have been enjoying my FiST for almost two years now but the FoST is also very nice and a great deal at 20-23k. You really can't go wrong with either. I am sure the RS will be nice but 40k nice is yet to be seen.

Good Luck

-Brian

x2svt

Established Member
Until there are many folks who have driven and seen an RS in person there isn't anyone who can honestly say if the RS is worth the extra money compared to an ST. Me included and my ST is slightly modded. BUT I can honestly say the ST is more fun to drive than my 99, 2001 and 2003 Cobra's were.
Plus with the Blizzak Winter tires on the ST I also have a blast when there's snow...

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
The RS is going to be like comparing an STI to the ST, but maybe a little faster. Ride quality may be better than the new STI as well. As mentioned, people can only really give speculation on if it's worth double. If I was looking to buy a new DD, and I could afford it, I would seriously consider the RS.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
The RS is a monster, and the ST is a superb car (especially for the price you mentioned). You can't go wrong with either one.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Ps I see you had a GT350 and sold it already. What did you think of it?

Wasn't for me. If I did track days every weekend, I would have enjoyed it more. It didn't have the smile factor on the street. Always felt like it was lacking torque. So I ended up with my ACR.

The RS is a monster, and the ST is a superb car (especially for the price you mentioned). You can't go wrong with either one.

Agreed. Both cars are awesome, much different price points.

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member
The huge price difference is due to the fact the RS isn't discounted. Well, you could find a deal, but it will take some legwork.

It really boils down to if you truly need or want the AWD system or you simply want the hottest of hot hatches. For me, I chose the RS because I wanted something really fun to drive in the winter in the snow.

kcobra

MUSTANG MANIAC
Established Member
I went to my local dealer to check out an ST to see if it's roomy enough for my DD needs. I had a GT350 on order and due to many reasons I cancelled it. I've been thinking about a RS for a DD instead. Well i found a few dealers with ST marked down 5-6k off sticker... I can get a new 16 ST2 for $23k.. And an ST1 for $20k... The RS is going to be 40k.... That's a crazy price difference. I mean I know it's a different car, but it's nearly double what I can get a ST for. I guess time will tell, but it's got me thinking twice.
What do you guys think?

I hope you test drove it. I sat in one and the seats were awfully tight for me. I am a small dude also. 6", 195. Not very broad shoulders and no matter how bad I would want one, wouldn't be comfortable for me. Make sure you try one.

97StangSVT

Established Member
I love my '16 FiST. I did order it with the Recaro seats. They are snug for sure. You definitely should sit in them for a while before deciding on purchasing a car with them. They are breaking in some, but they are still quite snug.

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
I've had my RS for a week now as my daily and am really loving it. I have a couple used ST's in stock, guess I should hop in one to see what its like.

CO Mack

Established Member
The RS really isn't much better until you drive it hard or the torque vectoring comes into play in normal driving (like in the snow). It still has a bit of torque steer, but much less than an ST.

I love the FiST but with kids the size of the Focus won out.

Osiris

Established Member
I have an RS now, I had a '14 ST. The RS is definitely more car. For starters, the car has nearly 100 more hp. Torque is not only higher but the twin scroll turbo brings up boost quicker that stays through the rev band longer. The car is definitely a better handler. I get much better grip in hard cornering (autocross) and I can go in hotter due to the better brakes.

If it were between a new ST and a year old RS the choice wouldn't even be debatable. Both being new, you'll have to weigh the cost differences for sure. The ST's don't hold that decent in the market and rebates are out there. Dealers still think the RS should command MSRP or in some insane cases, an ADM (don't even think of paying this)

Users who are viewing this thread