rpm's sticking whole ride home help!!!!!!!!!!!

bobbystang

Hsssssss
Established Member
This is a common problem on the 99's, but when this happened in the past it would stick round 1500 rpm then i'd tap the gas pedal it would unstick. Now today years later from the start of my drive home to the end every time I would shift and in that gap of neutral the car would hold at 2k rpm and hitting the gas pedal would not do anything it was very scary. As it did it the whole ride home and then in the garage turned the car off turned it on and it idled fine, but did roll it out of the garage and I did put in in reverse to see if if would stick and it didn't so people with experience please help me!!!!!!!!!!!

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
I'd try cleaning the IAC first. The rpm is a little high for just the IAC, but it's a start.

bobbystang

Hsssssss
Established Member
Yah I thought when i put my procharger on that it would fix the problem also, but def. did not and on that first ride home my car stalled and everything froze on my car and I was oh no not again!! So you guys are recommending the iac which is right behind the intake manifold correct? and how do I go about cleaning it advice please thanks guys

Un4GivN

QuenchMyThirstw/Gasoline
Established Member
Carb/Maf cleaner... Do you have a hand held tuner to check the MAF readings as well?

bobbystang

Hsssssss
Established Member
Yah I got throttle body/carb cleaner which I just did on my car on the throttle, but I don't have a tuner no. I do have a brand new iac at home as I was just thinking of changing it out, but everyone here thinks to just clean it out so I just would like to know how do I go about doing that? thanks bobby

K2AHollywood

Established Member
my vote also goes to changing it with a tune. I have noticed as I bounce between tunes that one of my set ups hangs onto the RPMs a little while another doesnt...nothing worng with the car at all, just a difference in set ups is all

bobbystang

Hsssssss
Established Member
Idk all I know is I'm sick of this as many of us go through this with the 99's as there should be a recall on this, but there is not damn Ford. I'll maybe go with a different tuner and new program quite possibly and maybe clean or replace the IAC first thanks. If you guys got any other suggestions please help thanks or pm me

bobbystang

Hsssssss
Established Member
Well to let you guys know I just ended up putting my new IAC in for the heck of it and I mean it seems ok, only weird feeling is when you shift between gears the rpms hang a little then drop. Do a lot of you guys go through that on your car the hanging rpm's.

Mustang4vSVT

4x4ing this mofo up!
Established Member
Mine does that too sometimes. I cleaned it out last year and the problem was gone. Its starting to do it again every now and then. Ill probably clean it out when i change the oil next week :)

you probably notice it more with the 99's since theres 2 more years worth of Gunk on there......

bobbystang

Hsssssss
Established Member
What the heck is inside that IAC that makes it mess with the rpms like that and shutoff? I'm real curious cuz a lot of us go through it.

K2AHollywood

Established Member
What? There's no TPS inside of an IAC. IAC problems are common on all fords, not just the 99's. They just get a little carbon buildup inside of them and start sticking.

I believe he was just stating that the OPs original problem could be due to a sticky TPS. I dont think he was commenting on the IAC

EVO-lution

Established Member
yea i replaced my TB and my sticky throttle comes back every once in a while when the air is very thick and humid. My rpms will hang up there between shifts for about a sec. its normal

I wouldn't spray TB cleaner in the TB though. I heard they're coated where the blades are and if you spray anything in there it wipes it off. IDK thats a what I heard but i could be wrong. BBK gives you the warning when you buy their TB's about the coating

bobbystang

Hsssssss
Established Member
I see thanks guys

Hi guys back again and my RPMs were sticking today and hanging.
I had my red volt meter adjusted to the proper voltage I need it to be and I put the black cable on a nut on the car for a ground and then I put the red cable inside the TPS and I had the car on the on position I believe that is all correct yes?
Before I tried adjusting it I believe it was at 1.04 and I could not even get it anywhere close to under 1 V. Now it’s even worse at like 1.14.
How in the heck do I get this thing under a volt?

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

greg01svt

Established Member
Hi my is greg mine had same issue and i fixed it by putting a flat washer in it that i made to fit inside the tube going to iac valve, made my own flat washer out of 1/8 aluminium so i could start out small and work my way up i think i ended up around a little over a 1/4 inch hole get hole to big and issue will come back.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using the svtperformance.com mobile app

bobbystang

Hsssssss
Established Member
Hi my is greg mine had same issue and i fixed it by putting a flat washer in it that i made to fit inside the tube going to iac valve, made my own flat washer out of 1/8 aluminium so i could start out small and work my way up i think i ended up around a little over a 1/4 inch hole get hole to big and issue will come back.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Hi Greg, I appreciate that and I finally got my car back from the shop and he analyzed everything and it was the throttle position sensor. I had an aftermarket one on there n he put an OEM motorcraft one on there and what he did was he drilled the 2 holes bigger to get the TPS voltage down to .90. And I just picked it up and it seems to be working fine now. Most people on this site say to keep it between .95 and 1 V but he said even that was too high. He also has a close Ford mechanic buddy that works for Ford and he knows all about this issue n he recommended to do what he did for my car

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

shurur

Established Member
I thought I got you a post about the washer being drilled out.
Maybe I didn't reference the right thread.

glad you got it fixed...

good job greg01svt!!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread