RPM Act - PFI Speed & EPA

JPKII

Established Member
Single Barrel Sirs
There are several threads on here about the RPM Act. Just thought I'd share what recently happened to the folks at PFI Speed. Scary stuff...

Cliff notes: Sounds like PFI sold some ECU piggyback components through their webstore (did not install). EPA required PFI to provide sources of piggyback modules and names of folks who purchased the units. PFI Speed complied and claims to have supplied requested information.

Months later they receive this letter from EPA with a "potential" fine of $4500 per unit they sold. They sold 37. They have 30 days to comply with EPA "order" to, essentially, not modify any vehicles. I'm not sure how a business like this could comply with an order like that.

Welcome to the People's Republic of Amerika

JPKII

Established Member
Single Barrel Sirs
PFI is local to me. They supposedly raised the $18k (enough to cover the fine) from fans in 6 hours after that video.

That's great to hear.

Do they plan on staying open?

How can any tuning/aftermarket shop work through this?

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Totally agree... Although primarily a Honda guy, he's tuned some Mustangs too and knows his way around the Coyote.

LOVE his channel.

Crimson2v

Established Member
Premium Member
EPA = Nazi Brownshirts

This shit is literally why I bought a classic car. **** them.
If I ever get a chance to get a hot rod to drive I am going to do the same. Get back to a pre 74 vehicle. My first car was a 77 Camaro and second car was a 70 Camaro, I wouldn’t mind getting back into the classic car game again.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
I constantly tell people about the RPM Act and I've signed it multiple times, unfortunately I fear no Congressman or Senator will ever give a shit about it, especially if there's no lobbying for it, but maybe I'm wrong.

The EPA is nothing but a bunch of NAZI shit heads, it's total bullshit they can do this to private companies.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
If I ever get a chance to get a hot rod to drive I am going to do the same. Get back to a pre 74 vehicle. My first car was a 77 Camaro and second car was a 70 Camaro, I wouldn’t mind getting back into the classic car game again.
I feel fortunate I got mine when I did. Classic car values are just going to keep going up and up. Hell, 1970 Chevelle rollers are going for like 15k! Add to it this EPA Gestapo bullshit and people who just dont want to **** with late model anymore will start buying up classics.

Luckily the 3rd gen Nova crowd thumbs their nose at the 73-74.... even though it's nearly the same chassis. The bigger 1/4 windows make it look more like a mini 71-72 Chevelle, at least to me. Bumpers are easy to fix too.

In AZ, 1967+ must get smogged. BUT 67-74 are a gas cap check and sniffer check for excessive HC and CO. Basically, checking if the car is an old tired shit box and/or running obnoxiously rich.

Fresh rings and a little lean on the carb should make any 67-74 pass. I want to switch to flex fuel anyway so that should make it pass with flying colors.

2001Bullitt

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
That was a hard watch, the emotion he showed was real fighting back the tears. It’s bullshit. I know Lund got “raided” a few months back as well and they complied. Not sure if anything else has come of that. Thankfully my car is exempt from emissions in my state as it’s heavily modded. My F150 however does have longtubes on it and a Lund Ngauge with a tune. But it’s still catted and nothing is turned off in the tune, hoping it doesn’t get flagged

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
That was a hard watch, the emotion he showed was real fighting back the tears. It’s bullshit. I know Lund got “raided” a few months back as well and they complied. Not sure if anything else has come of that. Thankfully my car is exempt from emissions in my state as it’s heavily modded. My F150 however does have longtubes on it and a Lund Ngauge with a tune. But it’s still catted and nothing is turned off in the tune, hoping it doesn’t get flagged

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
Since Lund was visited by the EPA I haven't heard anything new since or at least they haven't made anything public, I don't know if they ever actually got a fine. Especially since they aren't a actually shop, just a tuning company. I really hope nothing happens to them, especially since they tune my car.

2001Bullitt

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Since Lund was visited by the EPA I haven't heard anything new since or at least they haven't made anything public, I don't know if they ever actually got a fine. Especially since they aren't a actually shop, just a tuning company. I really hope nothing happens to them, especially since they tune my car.
Yea not sure. They made a video explaining all that happened

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Yea not sure. They made a video explaining all that happened
Yeah I watched it and Alex AKA Yolo talked a lot about it on his YouTube channel. It's important that anyone who's in the auto industry or people that enjoy modifying cars take this seriously, because the EPA is about as bad as the IRS or the ATF. It's not a joke.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread