Royal Purple - Hollywood

5.0Flareside

Established Member
fine.. I would totally compare our OE (LOWEST LEVEL) to your API.. our XL also API compliant. compares even better which is still around 4 a qt less..

which is HALF the cost..

PQIAspotlight_zpsb8f987d8.png

5.0Flareside

Established Member
and now the price vs price comparison..

API Rp vs Signature series..

PQIARP_zpsc55b2674.png

PQIASS_zpsc7fd64b3.png

then let's go HPS.. I'm fairly certain this is the HPS that PQIA tested.. if I'm wrong.

PQIARPhps_zps3683ab8e.png

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Multiple factors can affect viscosity loss. Fuel dilution and condensation both contribute.

Please show me the actual test for shearing.

Fuel dilution wasn't a factor in either UOA tested in the SVT Performance GT. Both runs were using Royal Purple HPS 5W-30, and both sheared from a 30 grade to a 20 grade. You've seen both UOA's, yet still deny it.

Also show me an Amsoil product that will out perform our HPS series oils. In terms of protection and facilitating more horsepower being made, not some relatively meaningless numbers on an oil analysis.
If you can make more horsepower or get better fuel economy, or offer higher film strength or protection .... YOU WIN!

Back to back same day, same vehicle dyno testing.
Go ahead and set it up.
Use your very best oil against our middle HPS oil.

It can't maintain viscosity, what good is it? Besides, if I chose Signature Series or Dominator, the dyno has a percent of error that would easily mask HP results that close in comparison. You're not wise for even suggesting a test like that comparing high end base oils. "Synerlec" is not the end all - be all in additive technology.

These comparisons using your very best oil against our cheapest chemistry restricted SAE/API oils, quite frankly are completely inappropriate. That's our warranty compliant API licensed oil, why not compare it to one of your API licensed oils?? HMMMM???

Your base formulation Royal Purple selling for $9.xx at retailers, and compares to Amsoil OE (base) 100% hydrocracked formulation. However, OE sells for $4.70 a quart to preferred customers and dealers. I have no doubts, after comparing multiple UOAs, that OE would match (or beat) RP's base formulation.

You still like to use the term "Chemistry Limited" when discussing RP's base formulation. Amsoil's Signature Series is their flagship passenger car lubricant, and can pass the API SN certification with ease. In fact, it exceeds all requirements.

*wait for it....here it comes* Jimmy will say, "Then why isn't it API SN certified" - despite me telling him why many times before. Let me dig that quote up for everyone to know why.

Jimmy,

Simply because Amsoil chose not to pay the fees associated with the API SN licensing doesn't mean it wouldn't pass (or isn't constrained by API SN boundaries). Amsoil's signature series lubricant all have API SN levels of ZDDP and meet every other requirement of the API SN certification test. In fact, it exceeds all requirements.

Amsoil chose not to API certify their flagship lubricants for one reason, and one reason only. The API doesn't allow base stock swapping like they do with petroleum lubricants. If they are using a specific base stock from a specific supplier, and that supplier isn't able to meet the demand Amsoil is requesting, that means Amsoil is stuck not able to produce more lubricants until one or two events occur...

1. The supplier ramps up production and can meets Amsoil's requirements.
2. Amsoil chooses another supplier.

However, choosing another supplier means that Amsoil now has to re-certify their lubricant with the new base stock, despite it meeting the exact same specifications. The API doesn't allow a manufacturer to change "true" synthetic suppliers without paying the certification fees all over again, completing the testing cycle over again, and we are talking big money.

The API allows manufacturers to select different suppliers when it concerns petroleum base stocks, with minimal fees and registry. This shows extreme bias towards petroleum derived stock.

XL is petroleum/synthetic blend. OE is 100% petroleum group III. There is no fear of supply shortages with those lines, therefore...they are certified.

If the API changed the rules tomorrow, Signature Series would be certified like the rest.

I do agree that it wasn't a fair fight on Royal Purple's behalf, not due to Amsoil's lack of API certifications, however....let's face facts. The base line Royal Purple API SN leaves a lot to be desired. I've been watching the performance of it closely, and something isn't right. UOA results haven't performed as expected. This isn't a $9.xx bottle of lubricant. The new HPS formulation has shown elevated shearing percentages you would NEVER expect from a top tier base stock formulation. What's different about the new reformulation?

The last question in the quote above was never answered, however, I never expected one. Proprietary information is forbidden (classified), and likely....even Jimmy himself has no idea. Not making this statement in disrespect, as I do respect Jimmy, but I'd expect him to have a script to read when people call technical support. Exactly the same way Mobil 1 set it up after they made the switch to group III base oils.

That fact that you Amsoil guys have to take shots at us to sell your oil is also very telling.

Actually, it's the other way around. The new owners marketing ploy in Hollywood tells me what RP has become. Another Mobil 1 and Castrol sell out. Making the product cheaper, selling it for a higher premium, marketing it like it's the formulation of yesteryear. Which it is not! Selling cheap base oil for $9.xx a quart. You should be ashamed of that Jimmy, not praising it.

HPS selling for $14.99 ???
XPR selling for $19.99 ???

I have a dual lab confirmed sample of XPR from a healthy GT500 engine. Used XPR one time, iron ppm increased to 114 in only 1,750 miles of use. The UOA before, and the UOA after had normal levels of iron. This sample was confirmed to be accurate by Dyson himself, as were both sample prior and after. I'm sure you will use the "cleansing" excuse, which would be false. XPR in fact had increased engine wear, and at $19.99 a quart. Another excuse would be, "UOA's are worthless, and mean nothing".

You guys have very good oil, you should not have to market your product that way. It makes you look cheap. It's cheaper oil it should sell itself, if it's really in fact that much better.

My statements do not represent Amsoil directly, as I do not work for Amsoil. My statements are based on scientific fact by third party labs not affiliated with either Amsoil or Royal Purple. The underdogs always throw bones like these when they are called out. Amsoil has been showing the world the difference for a long time. Why are the big oil companies hot showing their customers why Amsoil isn't superior? See what I did there?

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
5.0 Flareside, I don't think that's HPS in PQIA's test, as I'd expect Zinc and Phosphorous to be a lot higher. There is also a high concentration of magnesium, which would suggest a diesel lubricant.

Last edited:

Mystic03

Established Member
after reading all of this kinda debating the switch to amsoil...been runnin RP ever since i got my car...switched to HPS the day it came out what to do....:??::??:

GotBoost?!

Established Member
after reading all of this kinda debating the switch to amsoil...been runnin RP ever since i got my car...switched to HPS the day it came out what to do....:??::??:

If you've been running Royal Purple with no issues,then dont worry about switching,seriously. This back and forth "battle" here doesn't prove much of anything IMO.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Please show me the actual test for shearing.

Yet another UOA of Royal Purple HPS 5W-30 that sheared to a 20 grade lubricant. This is the third UOA with the exact same results, and from a different engine. The previous two results were taken from Sid's SVT Performance GT.

16c5922c-fa87-4e73-817c-40940352cc69_zps9e60ce14.png

Fuel dilution is not an issue here. Also, anyone notice below API SN levels of ZDDP....despite advertisement of high ZDDP.

HPS is not worth the ~$14.99 price tag. How much more proof do you require?

Last edited:

GotBoost?!

Established Member
Yet another UOA of Royal Purple HPS 5W-30 that sheared to a 20 grade lubricant. This is the third UOA with the exact same results, and from a different engine. The previous two results were taken from Sid's SVT Performance GT.

Fuel dilution is not an issue here. Also, anyone notice below API SN levels of ZDDP....despite advertisement of high ZDDP.

14.99$ Really? Where in the hell do you pay that much for HPS? I've bought it for 8$ a quart.

GotBoost?!

Established Member
even at $8 a qt I'd pass.. its just not impressive

If your going on just UOA's,your missing the boat.
I'll take engine tear down data over UOA's any day of the week.I've seen them done on street & track motors.
With that said,I also like Amsoil,both awsome products.

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
14.99$ Really? Where in the hell do you pay that much for HPS? I've bought it for 8$ a quart.

HA! Nice find, and update of the times. When the lubricant debuted, it was in fact $14.99 per quart at Summit Racing and Jegs. You had me go look again, and the prices have dropped to $8.30 per quart. Base formulation is $7.86 per quart.

Even more bullets in my gun. A price reduction like that tells me a big story, you know...that I've been right the entire time. RP's new formulation line is a sham.

XPR was $19.99 per quart, but is now $16.15 at Summit. Still not worthy of that price.

even at $8 a qt I'd pass.. its just not impressive

Agreed

If your going on just UOA's,your missing the boat.
I'll take engine tear down data over UOA's any day of the week.I've seen them done on street & track motors.
With that said,I also like Amsoil,both awsome products.

If Royal Purple's new formulations shear to a lighter grade, what does that tell you about their quality? What good is it? Most GT500 owners boycott Motorcraft 5W-50 for the same reason.

Oil threads are not about sufficient, they are about optimal. That needs to be understood by all when reading them.

Last edited:

GotBoost?!

Established Member
HA! Nice find, and update of the times. When the lubricant debuted, it was in fact $14.99 per quart at Summit Racing and Jegs. You had me go look again, and the prices have dropped to $8.30 per quart. Base formulation is $7.86 per quart.

Even more bullets in my gun. A price reduction like that tells me a big story, you know...that I've been right the entire time. RP's new formulation line is a sham.

XPR was $19.99 per quart, but is now $16.15 at Summit. Still not worthy of that price.

If Royal Purple's new formulations shear to a lighter grade, what does that tell you about their quality? What good is it? Most GT500 owners boycott Motorcraft 5W-50 for the same reason.

Oil threads are not about sufficient, they are about optimal. That needs to be understood by all when reading them.

I've NEVER seen it listed @ those prices,maybe the XPR racing oil.
I've seen a few motors tore down,all of them showing nothing to be alarmed about,bearing-wise,cleanliness,or otherwise using HPS Royal Purple either,so I wont be calling it a sham.UOA's are not the all,be all for engines either,sorry.

It's become obvious you've got tunnel vision,thats fine as Amsoil is a awsome oil as I stated before.

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I do not have tunnel vision, however.....expecting a 5W-30 lubricant to retain it's 30 grade viscosity is expected. If any 5W-30 lubricant can't maintain its viscosity, I will not recommend it to anyone.

Amsoil AZO 0W-30 will not shear, despite having a wider SAE viscosity spread. Using better base oils, this can be achieved with the minimal, or no use, of VII (viscosity improving polymers). Cheap VII's wear out rapidly, resulting in high temperature shearing.

Last edited:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member

The UOA in post #30 does not look like the API-SN, HPS, or XPR formulations. Here is the list of discrepancies that make me question whether the results are from RP API-SN or HPS oils, or valid at all:

- More than trace amount of boron (11 ppm); not in API-SN, HPS, or XPR formulation
- More than trace amount of barium (16 ppm); not in API-SN, HPS, or XPR formulation
- Molybdenum (6ppm) is completely wrong; not in API-SN oils, should be over 100ppm for HPS
- Sodium is wrong; it is not in the HPS formulations and is at a higher level in the API SN formulations
- Calcium (1972 ppm) is much too low for HPS, and is a little low for API-SN
- Zinc and phosphorus are much too low for HPS, and too low for API-SN

This is either a bad analysis, not the oil that it is claimed to be, or it also appears to have some coolant contamination. The presence of potassium is a dead giveaway to anyone that understands UOA reports and engine oil formulation, and silicon and sodium are also commonly found in antifreeze.

If this is a Royal Purple engine oil, it is the API SN version and is not HPS. Assuming it is, in fact, Royal Purple SAE 5W-30 (API-SN) and not a completely different oil, it has been diluted (likely by engine coolant), which would explain:

- the reduction in all of the elementals that are supposed to be there
- the presence of potassium
- the reduced viscosity

Users who are viewing this thread